The Student Room Group

Am I on the right track for Oxford?

/////////////////////////////////
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
As a fellow American student, I know a bit about what Oxford is looking for in us.

You said that your school "doesn't allow" you to take an AP classes, which I'm gonna assume means that they don't offer them. While not directly offering the courses, you can still sign up to take the exams via another high school, I think.

Evidently you've had a very broad education already, but what Oxford really wants is test scores recognized on a national level. I.e., SAT, SAT II, and AP scores. From my understanding, all of these exams can be taken via another high school in your area. Just ask a few of your teachers and whatnot, it shouldn't be too complex of a process.
I'm not from Oxford but hopefully I can help. Have you decided what you will apply for in Oxford? If you do, then it's better to study the relevant/required subjects for applying.
I'm not sure about Oxford but for Cambridge we could submit our SAT scores & any other examination we may have had.

& IB sounds good. So I think yup you are on track - though you may want to narrow down your subjects in the future a bit (I mean, 21! lol that's amazing btw)
Okay I'm not American but if he's doing the IB, what would the conditional offer be based on? IB or SATs/APs? Considering that Oxford recognizes the IB Diploma and has been known to give offers based on it, is it still necessary to take additional tests? (aside from for applying to US schools of course)

Your course load looks really heavy but apart from that I think you're doing just fine! You might want to start building your ECs toward your subject of interest (eg PPE, Human Sciences etc) and going for attachements if applicable (especially important for Medicine). Good luck!!
Original post by xEndeavors
@mishieru07: What EC's could I pursue to show Oxford that I really am passionate about Computer Science? (I love computers; I've been working with them since since I was 4 years old.)

I'm utterly useless at using computers but what about taking some computer courses outside your curriculum, maybe at a community college or university? Or perhaps a research project related to your area of interest (for your IB EE)? Could you do an internship at a firm or maybe shadow a computer engineer? Try your hand at programming something or self-learn through a book?

I'm really not the best person to ask since I applied for Law so if my suggestions sound like rubbish, they probably are so just ignore it. :tongue:
I couldn't possibly help when it comes to whether you're on the right track in terms of the subjects you're studying, but my biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you pick a topic you're really interested in. It sounds obvious, but it makes two things easier: one - you'll find it easier to study at a high level, and two - it'll be so much easier conveying your enthusiasm at interview.
You sound like you love the topic... Believe me when I say that true passion comes across easily. Word choice, order, body language... It all adds up, and it's all subconscious!
You're halfway there then :smile:
Reply 7
Well, if you'll be taking IB next year then you'll be fine :smile:
I presume that you're a sophomore? I'm not sure how much they actually look at your grades from your sophomore year...I think that they mainly look at your IB predicted grades.
Im taking the IB now and im applying to cambridge so I can tell you somewhat about the expectations of oxbridge in the IB. Im guessing that you're going to start the ib program in your junior and senior year? the IB diploma is a qualification on its own and definitely enough for oxford so you dont need to take SATs or APs (unless you're applying to US unis) you seem to be taking a lot of classes (21!) so have an idea of what you want to do at oxford because, unlike US unis, it's very difficult to change your degree program halfway through the course if you find out you don't like it. so if you have some idea of what you want to apply for, check to see if there are any course specific requirements like taking...math in higher level, for example, so you know you're taking the right IB package. and oxford usually accepts applicants with a predicted of about 38-40 points (including bonus points) and above. but you're definitely on the right track! good luck! :smile:

this should help: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/index.html
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
I can't say whether or not you're on the right track, because I'm not familiar with the American nor the IB system, but I can give you some advice from my personal experience (I'm currently holding an offer from Keble college for CompSci :biggrin:):
- do lots of maths, maths carries a huge weight when it comes to CompSci, and do all the past MAT papers thoroughly, they tend to get harder every year and getting a good result matters a lot, because if you don't, you won't even get an interview :rolleyes:
- do some programming, even if Oxford states that you don't need to have any knowledge in programming when you apply for CompSci, believe me, it's good if you do. Study recursion and work with loops
- remember the formula for the arithmetic sum!!! :wink:
- and another piece of advice I was given and I appreciate a lot: buy this book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Computer-Science-Introduction-International-Computing/dp/0131659456/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293479797&sr=8-1
Original post by lalaberlin
I can't say whether or not you're on the right track, because I'm not familiar with the American nor the IB system, but I can give you some advice from my personal experience (I'm currently holding an offer from Keble college for CompSci :biggrin:):
- do lots of maths, maths carries a huge weight when it comes to CompSci, and do all the past MAT papers thoroughly, they tend to get harder every year and getting a good result matters a lot, because if you don't, you won't even get an interview :rolleyes:
- do some programming, even if Oxford states that you don't need to have any knowledge in programming when you apply for CompSci, believe me, it's good if you do. Study recursion and work with loops
- remember the formula for the arithmetic sum!!! :wink:
- and another piece of advice I was given and I appreciate a lot: buy this book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Computer-Science-Introduction-International-Computing/dp/0131659456/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293479797&sr=8-1

What she said! I particularly recommend that book, which is pre-reading material for the computer science course. It bears some resemblance to the first year course (at least in methodology even if not in the fine detail), so will give you a fairly good idea if the course is for you.
And I would ask your home schooling academy to give you some MAT prep. Here's the link you want: http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/specimen-tests
Hi, I'm also a prospective Oxford student from the US, home schooled, and in 10th grade. I want to apply for math(s) and philosophy. I don't have a ton to contribute to this thread (since I'm in nearly exactly the same position as the OP), but I couldn't resist posting. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending