The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering help needed!

this question is for Materials Failure Analysis. Can someone help me decide which is the best choice of material to manufacture a large vessel?? please explain how you did it, i'm not familiar with Schaeffler diagrams or how to use it exactly.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peace0fM1nd

this question is for Materials Failure Analysis. Can someone help me decide which is the best choice of material to manufacture a large vessel?? please explain how you did it, i'm not familiar with Schaeffler diagrams or how to use it exactly.

The answer is A. I'm psychic.
Reply 2
Original post by thedepressedchild
The answer is A. I'm psychic.

LOL. no really can u do it

LOL. no really can u do it

I don't have the foggiest about the answer i'm afraid.

I am learning to become an expert in the field of Quantity Surveying.
Reply 4
I don't have the foggiest about the answer i'm afraid.

I am learning to become an expert in the field of Quantity Surveying.

Your a civil! get out of here at once - strictly mechanical :cool:

Your a civil! get out of here at once - strictly mechanical :cool:

oi blud!! dnt make me ave to pull out da shank u knw!!............its plastic................but still........

I shall leave at once.......

Cheerio :biggrin:
I want to do MechEng, but that question has me scared off.

Seriously FTW!
Reply 7
oi blud!! dnt make me ave to pull out da shank u knw!!............its plastic................but still........

I shall leave at once.......

Cheerio :biggrin:

:mad: dam civils
Reply 8
Original post by TheSadReaper

Seriously FTW!

its final year stuff. dont let it scare u lol
its final year stuff. dont let it scare u lol

Lol Uni do you go to?

And is it good?

Seriously FTW!

Totally agree I'm looking at possibly MechEng for 2012 entry. Looked at the table and was like 'oh that looks ok!' then saw that WTF graph. All those lines and confusing words and wtf are those units for the labels on the x and y axis!!!!
Reply 11
Lol Uni do you go to?

And is it good?

well to be exact, i'm studying medical engineering at bradford. the graph above is a Schaeffler diagram, and i need to learn this for materials failure analysis. medical engineering is basically the same as mechanical engineering but biased towards the medical/healthcare industry for example instrumentations, devices, prosthetics, tissue engineering and biomaterials to name a few.
Reply 12
Original post by vedderfan94
Totally agree I'm looking at possibly MechEng for 2012 entry. Looked at the table and was like 'oh that looks ok!' then saw that WTF graph. All those lines and confusing words and wtf are those units for the labels on the x and y axis!!!!

LOL, word of advice start reading and learning about these things now - it'l pay off
LOL, word of advice start reading and learning about these things now - it'l pay off

Yeah I need to do some reading on it soon. Any books you'd recommend?
Reply 14
Yeah I need to do some reading on it soon. Any books you'd recommend?

Thermodynamics (Enrico Fermi), the backbone of mechanical work/energy and will put you way ahead the sooner you get stuck in. Plus, practice advanced maths namely calculus and perfect your technique (K.A. Stroud) is a good book.
Thermodynamics (Enrico Fermi), the backbone of mechanical work/energy and will put you way ahead the sooner you get stuck in. Plus, practice advanced maths namely calculus and perfect your technique (K.A. Stroud) is a good book.

Thanks. Also, did you have any work experience? I'd like to get some so it would improve my UCAS application but I've read that it is very hard to get because of health and safety.
Reply 16
Just be glad your a MechEng and not a ChemEng.
Reply 17
Thanks. Also, did you have any work experience? I'd like to get some so it would improve my UCAS application but I've read that it is very hard to get because of health and safety.

The only experience I had was in technical support, in a major service support company to the conumser electronic market. Apart from that, I didn't have direct experience in mechanical - as long as you can show the uni you have a keen interest and are an able student thats what counts. Actually my experience partly influenced me to study medical engineering because it involves the principles of both mechanical and electronic and I enjoy both.

I haven't heard that it's due to health and safety - there's nothing dangerous about using computers in an office and attending meets - but more that because you're not terribly useful to a firm before you've even started your degree.

I don't know anyone in my course who came straight from school that had work experience already. Getting work experience before your degree depends on who your daddy is and where you live. Someone who has no contacts and lives in an area where there is no engineering will definitely not get any experience. Universities are more concerned with your academics, as this is the best indicator that you will complete their degree. The strongest UCAS application for engineering is the one that has the highest grades.
Reply 19
Original post by Carlo08
Just be glad your a MechEng and not a ChemEng.

:wink: too right

Quick Reply

Latest