The Student Room Group

Britain is overcrowded... something needs to be done about immigration...

Poll

Does something need to be done about Immigration and Overcrowding?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Disagree, when I travel to the countryside I see a lot of space.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Loaded question.
Reply 3
I guess you could deport me as I don't do ****. Only bad thing is I only speak English and hence will be called a foreigner in my 'native' country. Jolly good.
Reply 4
No, but TSR is overcrowded with stupid threads.
Original post by cybergrad

And I want that to remain countryside, I don't want our landscape concreted over.
Reply 6
Go on Google Maps UK and click the Satellite button. Now, I'm sure you'll agree Britain looks pretty green. That's because only about 10% of the country has been built on. Hardly overcrowded, right? Now stop scaremongering.
In English please ?
Reply 8
"Spread out so they cant catch you"
As an environmentalist, I believe that any net population increase at the moment is a terrible idea given how much pressure we already place on these islands. All non-EU immigration should be stopped indefinitely, although EU immigration and emigration to the EU doesn't give much of a net change per year. Remember, our environmental impact isn't limited to the urban areas themselves, and that most of the countryside is intensely, carefully managed rather than left wild. Crowding out nature will be our downfall if we're not careful.

As for overcrowding, I think we should start to build up instead of out . . . our cities are in dire need of rebuilding anyway.

And please don't mistake this for racism or xenophobia - I love the contributions that other cultures have made to ours, and some of my best friends are from abroad - but we need time to catch up and develop our infrastructure to deal with the current population, and to roll back some of the urban sprawl. We can't do that if the population is growing substantially.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by JW92
Go on Google Maps UK and click the Satellite button. Now, I'm sure you'll agree Britain looks pretty green. That's because only about 10% of the country has been built on. Hardly overcrowded, right? Now stop scaremongering.

What about our Public Services? NHS can't cope with the demand? Schools not able to cope. We don't have enough houses, money to fund benefits, transport services are packed and cant cope with demand -- Sure there are still some fields left for the taking, but not enough money or services to provide for everyone unfortunately.
Reply 11
Kick all leachers out from other countries that are claiming benefits. These will consist of mainly muslims and other middle east degenerates.

Next sort out the eastern european leachers.

Bingo, problem sorted.
Reply 12
Original post by robbo3045
What about our Public Services? NHS can't cope with the demand? Schools not able to cope. We don't have enough houses, money to fund benefits, transport services are packed and cant cope with demand -- Sure there are still some fields left for the taking, but not enough money or services to provide for everyone unfortunately.

You're average immigrant comes to the UK, gets a job, pays his taxes and funds public services just like any other British citizen. More people, more money, more hospitals and schools.
I think non EU-Immigration should be completely banned.
Reply 14
Japan has the answer if our population doubles.

Original post by MJay91
No, but TSR is overcrowded with stupid threads.

+1
Original post by cybergrad

+1 Someone is negging what he knows is true. DEAL WITH IT, troll!:cool:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by SoulfulBoy
+1

No way! We were just arguing a while ago! :biggrin:
Original post by JW92

+1
Reply 19
I agree to an extent, although you have to make sure you don't pander to bigots. We have a high population density - it's pointless to talk about empty regions like the highlands, migrants come to the urban parts of the south (london, bristol) and the already very crowded northern corridor liverpool-manchester-leeds-bradford, and these areas are very crowded at the moment. And it can't continue to rise and rise and rise.

Original post by JW92
You're average immigrant comes to the UK, gets a job, pays his taxes and funds public services just like any other British citizen. More people, more money, more hospitals and schools.

Migrants aren't moving to Shropshire, or Aberdeenshire. They move to already very crowded urban areas. I live near Leeds and parts of Leeds are complete gridlock, a continually rising population isn't remotely desirable in crowded urban areas where housing shortages already exist and public services are increasingly overstretched. My mum works in a school in inner-city Leeds that is finding it hugely difficult to deal with teaching kids in 20 different languages, and there is a similar overstrectch in other areas of the public sector.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending