The Student Room Group

Donate blood

Scroll to see replies

My advice is to always specify that you want a permanent, trained staff member.

My first time was with a trainee. It has put me off from going again (as well as them closing at 5:30, which means I have not enough time to get there, and always being full whenever I manage)
Reply 141
Original post by Evil Monkey
Unfair, yes. Unfounded, no.

Have you ever seen the blood collection things? They're packed, with good numbers of people waiting in case anyone misses an appointment.

Gay people have a much higher risk of HIV. Taking a gay person, means taking one less straight person because they're busy enough.
If they can only take one of those lots of blood, why would they take the one with a much higher risk of HIV, leaving them a donation down if you are one of the minority?

Yes, it's horrific discrimination, but unfounded? Far from it. It would be amazing if they could staff up enough to be able to take more donations, and if it gets to that point where there is free time on the collections, they should definitely get rid of that ruling. But for now, they need the blood, so they'd be idiots to take blood from gay people when it would reduce usable stocks. For anything else you'd have a point, but they need as much of the stuff as possible, it's for saving people's lives.

I could perfectly understand if there was a restriction of several months, as there is with other high risk practices, but instead it is a lifetime ban. For example:

A straight man who has unprotected sex with a different girl every weekend can give blood TODAY
A straight man who has had unprotected sex with several prostitutes can give blood AFTER ONE YEAR
Those who have had unprotected sex with an intravenous drug user can give blood AFTER ONE YEAR
Those who have had unprotected sex abroad in a high risk HIV country can give blood AFTER ONE YEAR

It is also unfounded as it classifies all gay men under one umbrella, despite there being a spectrum of from those who are promiscuous to those who are completely monogamous and are in a civil partnership. If for example the criteria was "Have you had 5 or more different same-sex sexual partners in the last 6 months?" then I would agree to that being a just restriction.

Spain, Italy, Australia and New Zealand currently do not carry this ban and haven't had any incidences of infected blood.

Current HIV testing technology can detect HIV 12 days after initial infection. The blood is also tested again once donated. So why shouldn't a man, who has been celibate for several weeks, and been tested clear of HIV not be allowed to give blood?

I just seems like banning people on basis of sexual orientation prejudice rather than on their actual sexual promiscuity.

But anyway, yes I still encourage everyone who can to give blood.
Reply 142
I can't donate, since I've had about 12 blood transfusion. But i thought id just say Thank you to all those that do donate, otherwise i wouldn't be here.
Reply 143
I've done it once, and I'll definitely be doing it again. It honestly didn't hurt at all - it was more painful pulling the plaster off afterwards than actually donating blood. If you're able to do it, you really should I think. Not enough people do it - when I went to donate, the room was almost empty. There were probably about 10 people maximum there the whole time I was there, which was a while.

Also, they give you lots of biscuits and stickers afterwards :biggrin:
Original post by d123
I've done it once, and I'll definitely be doing it again. It honestly didn't hurt at all - it was more painful pulling the plaster off afterwards than actually donating blood. If you're able to do it, you really should I think. Not enough people do it - when I went to donate, the room was almost empty. There were probably about 10 people maximum there the whole time I was there, which was a while.

Also, they give you lots of biscuits and stickers afterwards :biggrin:

Did you do it at the centre next to the Tron? They were lovely there!

Was very busy when I did it, people queueing, but still got seen within 15mins...it was lunch time and everything!
Reply 145
Original post by Evil Monkey
Unfair, yes. Unfounded, no.

Have you ever seen the blood collection things? They're packed, with good numbers of people waiting in case anyone misses an appointment.

Gay people have a much higher risk of HIV. Taking a gay person, means taking one less straight person because they're busy enough.
If they can only take one of those lots of blood, why would they take the one with a much higher risk of HIV, leaving them a donation down if you are one of the minority?

Yes, it's horrific discrimination, but unfounded? Far from it. It would be amazing if they could staff up enough to be able to take more donations, and if it gets to that point where there is free time on the collections, they should definitely get rid of that ruling. But for now, they need the blood, so they'd be idiots to take blood from gay people when it would reduce usable stocks. For anything else you'd have a point, but they need as much of the stuff as possible, it's for saving people's lives.

Maybe it was an anomaly, but when I went to donate blood, there was hardly anyone there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 146
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Did you do it at the centre next to the Tron? They were lovely there!

Was very busy when I did it, people queueing, but still got seen within 15mins...it was lunch time and everything!

No, it was back home - I meant to do it again at the QM when they were having a blood drive but it got cancelled.
Original post by d123
No, it was back home - I meant to do it again at the QM when they were having a blood drive but it got cancelled.

Yeah, I was going to do it then. Then I was going to do it at the Murano blood drive, but had a cold. Finally I did it at the permanent blood donation place next to the Tron. Don't even have to make an appointment, just drop in! Shall give blood in a year (as have had piercing...) or may just do it in 4 months in England (as they allow you to give blood sooner after a piercing than Scotland!)
I will donate as soon as i get back from visiting my parents for Christmas.

That is, if Heathrow ****ING LETS ME GO!!!!
Reply 149
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Yeah, I was going to do it then. Then I was going to do it at the Murano blood drive, but had a cold. Finally I did it at the permanent blood donation place next to the Tron. Don't even have to make an appointment, just drop in! Shall give blood in a year (as have had piercing...) or may just do it in 4 months in England (as they allow you to give blood sooner after a piercing than Scotland!)

I might pop down there at some point then! Close enough to my accommodation to be able to walk back without risking fainting which is always good! I'll see if there's a session on near me during the holidays though, there probably will be one as there's a fair few centres close to my house.
Original post by d123
I might pop down there at some point then! Close enough to my accommodation to be able to walk back without risking fainting which is always good! I'll see if there's a session on near me during the holidays though, there probably will be one as there's a fair few centres close to my house.

Yeah afterwards donating I went and got piercing done, then walked home, no fainting or anything =D nurses were hilarious as well (as was the old woman donating blood next to me!)
I donate blood. And I'm terrified of needle, so I don't take that as an excuse for people not donating, the first time I did, I fainted and threw up twice. But I do it every 4 months, it take five minutes (not to mention free tea and biscuits!) and I'm actually a million times less scared than I was before, I don't exactly enjoy it, but 5 mins of discomfort is nothing compared to someone dying because they need that extra bit of blood. I think everyone should do it.
Reply 152
Original post by LauriC
I donate blood. And I'm terrified of needle, so I don't take that as an excuse for people not donating, the first time I did, I fainted and threw up twice. But I do it every 4 months, it take five minutes (not to mention free tea and biscuits!) and I'm actually a million times less scared than I was before, I don't exactly enjoy it, but 5 mins of discomfort is nothing compared to someone dying because they need that extra bit of blood. I think everyone should do it.

agree with you.:smile:
i have given about 4 times now i think...and giving again on 29th...everyone should give blood, no excuse really
I can't because of my asthma medication :frown:
23 times donated. A- platelet donor :biggrin: Feels great, do it every chance I get
I may donate, but I'm already a card carrying organ donor - signed up for everything from my corneas to my skin. They can have as much of me as they want when I'm dead and gone!
Reply 157
Original post by ringham33170
23 times donated. A- platelet donor :biggrin: Feels great, do it every chance I get

Hii,
I'm a medicine applicant too.
Goodluck :smile:
The previous 3 times I've tried to give blood they've rejected me because I don't have enough iron.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending