The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aliluvschoc
Hmm actually it sounds like your piercer might have taken 'saline' to mean a normal sea salt mix, because I can't imagine why they might have told you to use it otherwise. :confused: It's most probably the extra chemicals in your mix causing the irritation, even more so than over cleaning.

I was given instructions of how to make my own 'saline' wash using the sea salt and water.

You can continue using it if you wish, but I think it would be foolish. Cartilage piercings are a bit of a bitch in terms of healing time anyway (much longer than something like a lip piercing in my experience).

I'll continue using the saline until I get a chance to go and buy some sea salt...it never irritated my other ear piercings, and as infection seems to lessening I assume it was a combo of over cleaning and the possibility in my drunken night out (the night pre ear hurting) I knocked it more than normal and may have slept on it (as wouldn't have noticed the pain and rolled over!)
Reply 21
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I'll continue using the saline until I get a chance to go and buy some sea salt...it never irritated my other ear piercings, and as infection seems to lessening I assume it was a combo of over cleaning and the possibility in my drunken night out (the night pre ear hurting) I knocked it more than normal and may have slept on it (as wouldn't have noticed the pain and rolled over!)

:dontknow: Not sure why you're choosing to ignore advice from people with experience (I certainly wouldn't; these types of piercings are quite notorious for getting infected if not treated correctly), but it's your ear. Lobe piercings don't get infected so easily as cartilage any way I don't think, so your solution might have not bothered them so much.

Good luck with it I guess. :redface:
:dontknow: Not sure why you're choosing to ignore advice from people with experience (I certainly wouldn't; these types of piercings are quite notorious for getting infected if not treated correctly), but it's your ear. Lobe piercings don't get infected so easily as cartilage any way I don't think, so your solution might have not bothered them so much.

Good luck with it I guess. :redface:

As said, I don't have any sea salt at the min, so until I've got that I'll continue cleaning with my saline solution, better to have some form of cleaning than none at all!
:dontknow: Not sure why you're choosing to ignore advice from people with experience

Meh, their bodies to ruin.

Problem is most piercing 'artists' will only ever see a mild infection so will give good cleaning advie but if infection goes into the cartlidge its a race against time.
I've seen about half a dozen cases of people with cartlidge infections and many more with infected gunky piercings. (when it swells up so much you cant see the stud you know its bad)
2 of the above have now really deformed ears because they came after about 2 weeks.
Also saw a couple where allergy to the heapo metal in the ear stud made their ear swell, it swelled so muh it caused lots of pressure...which then killed cartlidge off. Looks like they have cauliflower (rugby) ear now.

But obviously these are worst ase type scenarios.

As for the saline solution "0.67% NaCl (salt), 0.002% EDTA, 0.00005% PHMB " that made me giggle because EDTA is used in medicine to prevent blood clotting. Maybe the concentration used is different though.
Reply 24
As said, I don't have any sea salt at the min, so until I've got that I'll continue cleaning with my saline solution, better to have some form of cleaning than none at all!

Almost every single person on this thread has told you to stop using the saline and you're still doing it? Why ask for advice in the first place? :s-smilie:

There was a time when piercers used to say to clean new piercings regularly with saline / surgical spirit but this is definitely not the case anymore. Sea salt with boiled water is literally the only thing you should clean it with else you risk making it worse.
Reply 25

I'll probably get negged for saying this, but you're an infuriatingly stupid person and I hope your earhead falls off.

BOOM I went there. :ahee:
Reply 26
Doctor can prescribe antibiotics that help though!
Reply 27
Yesterday it started to hurt. Now it is swollen so much my ear fills all the metal bit of the stud ... It's bled a little and there has been some whiteish yellow dishcharge. It hurts like **** and is giving off loadsa heat.

Yummy.

Go back to the place you got it done and talk to them.
Original post by Cybele
Almost every single person on this thread has told you to stop using the saline and you're still doing it? Why ask for advice in the first place? :s-smilie:

There was a time when piercers used to say to clean new piercings regularly with saline / surgical spirit but this is definitely not the case anymore. Sea salt with boiled water is literally the only thing you should clean it with else you risk making it worse.

Well when I can go shopping to get sea salt I will!

I'll probably get negged for saying this, but you're an infuriatingly stupid person and I hope your earhead falls off.

BOOM I went there. :ahee:

Nah I'm not a petty negger unlike some!

Unfortunately looks like you wont get your wish now, ear has completely got better now =D So I doubt my ear will fall of, let alone my head :top2:
Try and get hold of some Savlon Wound Wash, I used that for my last few piercings and it is good.
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
Try and get hold of some Savlon Wound Wash, I used that for my last few piercings and it is good.
A sea salt solution is the best thing for any piercing. I wouldn't recommend Savlon, personally.
Reply 31
Only use savlon if it's an old piercing which has become infected, never a new piercing as it will kill the healthy bacteria which help the skin to heal.
Original post by Cybele
Only use savlon if it's an old piercing which has become infected, never a new piercing as it will kill the healthy bacteria which help the skin to heal.

The reason not to use savlon is it can irritate the broken skin.
Whever told you there are healthy bacteria that help the skin grow is talking arse.
Reply 33
Original post by Jamie
The reason not to use savlon is it can irritate the broken skin.
Whever told you there are healthy bacteria that help the skin grow is talking arse.

You're supposed to put salvon on broken skin anyway.

It's probably me talking outa my ass but my piercer definitely said savlon makes it more difficult for the piercing to heal.
Savlon shouldn't be used, because of it's consistency. It is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria as it's creamy, warm and moist - that's why it's not recommended.

Salt water folks. It's the best way.
Original post by Ilora-Danon
Savlon shouldn't be used, because of it's consistency. It is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria as it's creamy, warm and moist - that's why it's not recommended.

"It is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria as it's creamy, warm and moist"
Shame it has been marketed as an antiseptic cream for years then.
Reply 36
Original post by Ilora-Danon

Savlon is an antibacterial. :tongue:
Reply 37
If you don't have any sea salt then can't you go buy some? My guess is sea salt with boiled water is cheaper than contact lens saline? Anyhow, I have been using sea salt mixture and it's been great. With my fair share of wearing contact lenses over the past many years, saline solution for them is full of chemicals and not nature. With your piercings you need the nature solution which is sea salt and boiled water.

Latest