The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Vadis
Aw, newly regenerated thread :smile:

Quick question: when is ucas supposed to change and when do you have to return the forms?
I have such paranoia these days.

What forms? I just had to fill out the webform to say I'd be firming it on New's website, and the letter that came just had the offer letter and the fee sheet.
Reply 21
Hello, look forward to wiling away many an hour on this forum (and no doubt forgetting about my A-Levels)

(Mansfield, History and Politics)
Reply 22
What are you guys planning to do with all your new time now?

I have been concentrated on Oxford for so long that I am in urgent need of some new projects :smile:

Angus, PPE, Worcester
Reply 23
Original post by Anon1993
you still haven't heard????
And you don't seem crazy. . .
wow. nerves of steel. and goodluck!

I believe I'm all crazied out. Thanks to you and the others for the luck but I am fairly sure of a rejection... just kidding myself a bit longer by keeping up with the TSR Oxford threads! :tongue:

Sorry for posting on here without an offer but there is no place for me now the applicants' thread is closed :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by hayheyley
I believe I'm all crazied out. Thanks to you and the others for the luck but I am fairly sure of a rejection... just kidding myself a bit longer by keeping up with the TSR Oxford threads! :tongue:

Sorry for posting on here without an offer but there is no place for me now the applicants' thread is closed :frown:

Don't apologize for that, we want you to post here and we hope that you will get the offer! xxxx
Reply 25
ooh I was wondering what happened to the other thread.
Well hi, Biochem at Trinity :biggrin: (hopefully!)
Reply 26
Original post by SuperPatchKid
Hello all, I'm signing up :biggrin: PPE at St Hugh's.

Ooo I have a question too actually - once the offer comes through on ucas, is there anything stupid about accepting it straight away and withdrawing from all my uni applications? Just in case there are other slow uni's -cough, Warwick etc- that don't reply at least that gives them another place to play with?

I just don't want to go ahead then have something go completely wrong :rolleyes:

My offer letter said that the final UCAS deadline for accepting/declining is late April.

Edit: oops sorry, may not have understood your post correctly; you want to accept as quickly as poss in order to altruistically donate your place(s) elsewhere? I'm going to take some time, not cos I'm not sure I want to accept, but cos if circumstances (eg. financial) made acceptance impossible I might be regretting having hastily turned down alternatives.
(edited 13 years ago)
Oxford was the 5th university I heard from, so there's no issue for me about cancelling applications to others so I can firm Oxford right away, but if I hadn't heard, I think I'd prefer to wait just to find out if I would have got those offers or not
Original post by FamousFourTops
For Christmas, from my parents, I got a card with my Oxford acceptance letter (which I read a week ago) taped to the inside. Inside was written 'We were going to shower you with consolatory gifts to make up for the rejection, but since you got in, we figured that nothing we could buy you could match up to it. So we bought you nothing. Happy Christmas!"
True, but a new pencil case would also have been nice :biggrin:

Seriously?

Interesting that they were going to shower you with gifts if you had been rejected - my friend was promised a laptop if he got an offer (which he didn't get in the end) but nothing for a rejection.
Reply 29
Maths & CS at Merton. Any more mathematicians at Oxford next year?
Reply 30
Hi I'm non sequitur. The winter break is ruined by the fact that I won't get my notice (hopefully by email along with mail) until [after] Jan 4th. Q_Q Not that I have high hopes of getting in. Here's an interesting scenario if you want something to type on.

Applied for chemistry (open application)
-Doing IB Diploma
-Our school doesn't offer HL Chemistry (... wtf)
-So I took SL chemistry and took the USA's AP Chemistry test (Scored 5/5) my second year of high school.

Think they'll ask for a 7 in Math and Physics HL on top of a 40 IB (I'm either going to get rejected or get a ridiculously high offer...)?

I hate how our school "alters" IB. They mandate English A1 HL and History of Americas HL. Also, no one in our school has gotten a 7 in Math HL to my teachers' knowledge.

How could I forget. Congrats to all of you with offers! :biggrin:
Reply 31
Hiya - made it.

Medic at Magdalen :smile:

Where are the other medics or magdalenas?

The wait until next August is going to be so long...

Good luck to those of you with January exams
Original post by nkvuong

hopefully me :biggrin:
Original post by nkvuong

More than a mathematician, I'll be a CS&Mathematician there! AND I applied to Merton, although my offer is from Exeter
Reply 34
Original post by LtCommanderData
More than a mathematician, I'll be a CS&Mathematician there! AND I applied to Merton, although my offer is from Exeter

Well, so maybe I have bumped into you there without noticing. Guess that I have stolen your place at Merton :biggrin:
Original post by nkvuong
Well, so maybe I have bumped into you there without noticing. Guess that I have stolen your place at Merton :biggrin:

haha, guess so :P

The only maths & CS guy I talked to was from Estonia, but maybe we bumped into each other without realising that we were applying for the same subject(s)
Chemistry at University College :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Still so surprised about the offer!
Not looking forward to my 4 January exams though :s-smilie:
Original post by FamousFourTops
For Christmas, from my parents, I got a card with my Oxford acceptance letter (which I read a week ago) taped to the inside. Inside was written 'We were going to shower you with consolatory gifts to make up for the rejection, but since you got in, we figured that nothing we could buy you could match up to it. So we bought you nothing. Happy Christmas!"
True, but a new pencil case would also have been nice :biggrin:

Your parents are so generous :tongue: is this Gemma?
Reply 38
Queen's Offer Holder for Law. :smile:

Anyone who's also holding an offer at Queen's, feel free to PM me.
Reply 39
English at Hertford. Still pretty surprised, nearly a week after I got the letter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending