The Student Room Group

Britain is overcrowded... something needs to be done about immigration...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by robbo3045
What about our Public Services? NHS can't cope with the demand? Schools not able to cope. We don't have enough houses, money to fund benefits, transport services are packed and cant cope with demand -- Sure there are still some fields left for the taking, but not enough money or services to provide for everyone unfortunately.

J.O.B.S. That's what is required to create.:cool:
Reply 21
Original post by dzeh
Kick all leachers out from other countries that are claiming benefits. These will consist of mainly muslims and other middle east degenerates.

Next sort out the eastern european leachers.

Bingo, problem sorted.

including those born here?
I agree something must be done.

Lets kick all the racists and bigots (of every colour and religious pursuasion) out and then the grown ups can live in peace and quiet.
Original post by MJay91
No way! We were just arguing a while ago! :biggrin:

Small world...:wink:
Reply 24
Slightly off topic. Just out of interest, if the BNP got into power what would they do apart from stopping immigration? A question the supporters like to ignore. I wonder why?
There are 60,776,238 people in 244,820,000,000 square metres.

That is, there are 3996 square metres of land per person in the UK. We are not over-crowded.
Reply 26
Original post by RedGuy
Slightly off topic. Just out of interest, if the BNP got into power what would they do apart from stopping immigration? A question the supporters like to ignore. I wonder why?

Because that's all BNP supporters care about.

There's still plenty of space in Scotland if Britain becomes more crowded at least.
Reply 27
Original post by RedGuy

What has the BNP got to do with anything? the huge population increases that labour's immigration policies yielded are completely unsustainable in the long-term. It has nothing to do with race, religion or anything of that nature.
Reply 28
Original post by Jody Mcintyre
I think non EU-Immigration should be completely banned.

:sigh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2010/04/immigration_by_numbers.html

Non EU immigration is already facing heavy restrictions as it is, if you do have an issue with immigration, arguing with what you are stating is foolery.
Reply 29
Original post by No Man
There's still plenty of space in Scotland if Britain becomes more crowded at least.

Migrants aren't moving to Scotland, there is no incentive, they move to already crowded urban areas like Leeds, London, Reading, Manchester and so on. Massive scale mass-immigration is a terrible idea, it isn't sustainable in the long term.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Britain overcrowded? :awesome:

You guys should see my home-town in India. I'll show you the meaning of 'overcrowded'. :yes: :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Organ
Migrants aren't moving to Shropshire, or Aberdeenshire. They move to already very crowded urban areas. I live near Leeds and parts of Leeds are complete gridlock, a continually rising population isn't remotely desirable in crowded urban areas where housing shortages already exist and public services are increasingly overstretched. My mum works in a school in inner-city Leeds that is finding it hugely difficult to deal with teaching kids in 20 different languages, and there is a similar overstrectch in other areas of the public sector.

I live in Leeds. The reason there are areas of complete gridlock is because of an abysmally underfunded public transport. We are the largest city in Europe without a rapid transport system. Not to mention how expensive, unreliable and generally piss poor the bus service is in the city. That's really not the fault of immigrants.
Reply 32
Original post by Organ
What has the BNP got to do with anything? the huge population increases that labour's immigration policies yielded are completely unsustainable in the long-term. It has nothing to do with race, religion or anything of that nature.

I know, hence why I said slightly off topic. Since the BNP only care about immigration and this thread is about immigration I just thought somebody could answer my question.
Reply 33
Original post by Organ
Migrants aren't moving to Scotland, there is no incentive, they move to already crowded urban areas like Leeds, London, Reading, Manchester and so on.

I know, but if the problem gets too serious they can move there.

Either way, there should be a one child policy (which won't happen, but still) until the old generation die off, then there will be room for more people.
Original post by Hamesh
:sigh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2010/04/immigration_by_numbers.html

Non EU immigration is already facing heavy restrictions as it is, if you do have an issue with immigration, arguing with what you are stating is foolery.

Why do we need any non eu immigration?
Reply 35
Original post by JW92
I live in Leeds. The reason there are areas of complete gridlock is because of an abysmally underfunded public transport. We are the largest city in Europe without a rapid transport system. Not to mention how expensive, unreliable and generally piss poor the bus service is in the city. That's really not the fault of immigrants.

I'm not blaiming immigrants for anything. It is looking very unlikely that huge housing shortages will be met, public services are overstretched, Britain has an extensive welfare state, and we have a high population density (particualrly England where pretty much every migrant heads - England has a higher population density than the Netherlands). It is clear to anybody that allowing large-scale mass (i.e. hundreds of thousands per annum) immigration is a bad idea, our resources are finite, and it's important that greenbelts and green land is conserved.

Original post by No Man
I know, but if the problem gets too serious they can move there.

Either way, there should be a one child policy (which won't happen, but still) until the old generation die off, then there will be room for more people.

So you would a.) force people to go to Scotland b.) force people to not have anymore kids. That sounds a much more desirable alternative to simply introducing a sensible, measured, immigration policy along the lines of pretty much every other industrialised nation on the planet.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
takeshi's castle should be our new immigration policy :biggrin:
Original post by godofwar
I guess you could deport me as I don't do ****. Only bad thing is I only speak English and hence will be called a foreigner in my 'native' country. Jolly good.

This :smile:

If this is a thread to hint someone to say 'lets get them foreigners out', then hear me out.

Im British, but indian. Born here, went to school here, looking to go to uni here and obviously looking to work here.

At the same time, i witness (as Nick Griffin would put it) 'native indigenous british people' slacking off with no intentions of finding a respected career and benefiting the economy. And before any folks start saying that im being racist towards White people, then let me quote, that this is obviously true for only a minority of native brits and also true in the case for migrants.

Nonetheless, the thing that annoys me is the people who are constantly egging on that 'there's too many foreigners' or 'migrants have ruined this country' blah blah blah, are the ones who have no intention of studying, getting work and benefiting the economy whatsoever.

At the end of the day, yes i may be a minority, but i was born here, im BRITISH and proud of it! I respect British culture and embrace it, so can I stay....pwetty pwetty please? :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Samrout
including those born here?

No. If you have moved here from another country and have been out of work for a certain period of time and their only source of income is from benefits and the government then these people should have no rights to live here and be deported.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
As an environmentalist, I believe that any net population increase at the moment is a terrible idea given how much pressure we already place on these islands. All non-EU immigration should be stopped indefinitely, although EU immigration and emigration to the EU doesn't give much of a net change per year. Remember, our environmental impact isn't limited to the urban areas themselves, and that most of the countryside is intensely, carefully managed rather than left wild. Crowding out nature will be our downfall if we're not careful.

As for overcrowding, I think we should start to build up instead of out . . . our cities are in dire need of rebuilding anyway.

And please don't mistake this for racism or xenophobia - I love the contributions that other cultures have made to ours, and some of my best friends are from abroad - but we need time to catch up and develop our infrastructure to deal with the current population, and to roll back some of the urban sprawl. We can't do that if the population is growing substantially.

If only it were so simple. But economically such an act as you say you want would be suicide.

Firstly, unless your policy was carried out alongside a culling of old people, it will just make the pension problems worse. We have an ageing population with people needing pensions for longer. One way to help the problem is to ensure we have a growing number of workers. Part of the pension problem was caused by a dropping birth rate which barely replaces the people that die, thus a higher and higher proportion of the population becomes older when the age expectations increase. Migration has, in part, been responsible in recent years for off-setting this problem increasing our population a little.

Secondly, EU immigration is a massive portion of all immgration in to the UK. Yet is arguably some of the least valuable. I don't have figures, but I would expect a higher percentage of immigrants from outside of the EU are highly skilled scientists, doctors, academics (perhaps you might want to include sports people in this list too). Thus by stopping non-EU immigration so suddenly you don't actually reduce immigration that much yet stop what I'm expecting would be a massively disproportionate number of the most valuable highly skilled immigrants which we need to ensure the country performs as well as it can in very important sectors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending