The Student Room Group

Giving blood - your views

Scroll to see replies

Lets be honest here guys, pretty much every person here would accept both blood and organs if they needed it, you would want your family to accept them, you would call them crazy if they didn't. On that basis, every single person should be on the Organ Donation register and donate blood regularly don't ya think?
And to all those people saying it's too much effort, you guys are harsh, it's about an hour once every 3/4 months? You get a free cuppa splosh and a biscuit, you sit there and have a gossip for a while. What is hard?? You're possibly saving THREE peoples lives, that could be you one day, how would you feel if you needed blood and someone said, yeahh sorry, I can't be bothered, i'm watching Eastenders. Don't just agree with this, prove it.
http://www.blood.co.uk/
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/default.jsp
Reply 101
Original post by Count Stefular
Lets be honest here guys, pretty much every person here would accept both blood and organs if they needed it, you would want your family to accept them, you would call them crazy if they didn't. On that basis, every single person should be on the Organ Donation register and donate blood regularly don't ya think?
And to all those people saying it's too much effort, you guys are harsh, it's about an hour once every 3/4 months? You get a free cuppa splosh and a biscuit, you sit there and have a gossip for a while. What is hard?? You're possibly saving THREE peoples lives, that could be you one day, how would you feel if you needed blood and someone said, yeahh sorry, I can't be bothered, i'm watching Eastenders. Don't just agree with this, prove it.
http://www.blood.co.uk/
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/default.jsp

You might want to say every single one that can should be on there.
Original post by wangelo
You might want to say every single one that can should be on there.

Definately, the system does have it's flaws, I appreciate that, but if you can, you should, appologies, I should have clarified
I'm an organ donor, but I'm terrified of needles. One of my friends donated blood and they popped a blood vessel in his arm by mistake, the whole of his upper arm was bruised, I was totally put off by that.
Original post by rachlala14
It's called freedom of opinion. If i don't want someone else's organs, that's my perogative and there's no need to judge me for it. Maybe I just want to be buried with all my own organs and not someone elses.
I might make the decision to be a living donor for a family member if the need ever arises but if not, I will not be donating/receiving any organs.

There's no need to judge you, but I guess you could say that it's my "freedom of opinion" to do so :p:

I still think it's crazily irrational to deny yourself the chance of life simply because of some vague principle that you want to be buried with all your own organs.
That said, I imagine you're quite young and healthy and so you're obviously far removed from having to think about this decision. I'm sure were you actually terminally ill and in need of a transplant (heaven forbid) you'd reconsider.

Equally, I think it's ridiculously selfish that you wouldn't donate your organs after death to possibly save someone's life. Of course, it's entirely your own decision to make, but doesn't change the fact it's an irrational and selfish one.

It's called IV Opioids. "You will certainly die, in lots of pain" just doesn't make any sense. Maybe like 100 years ago...

Unfortunately that's not entirely the case. You really think that if you're dying from a terminal illness or organ failure, then they simply step up the morphine and then you feel fine until you pass? I've seen several people on their deathbeds, completely maxed out on pain meds, yet they've still been in agony. The only difference is that they're barely lucid enough to say goodbye.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by (:Becca(:
I'm an organ donor, but I'm terrified of needles. One of my friends donated blood and they popped a blood vessel in his arm by mistake, the whole of his upper arm was bruised, I was totally put off by that.

I hate it when people use anecdotes to justify something like this - that happens very rarely. Anyway, even if you were guaranteed to have that happen to you, wouldn't it be worth it (potentially) to save a life?

I have never donated blood, being under the requisite age, but I look forward to being 17 in a year and a bit, when I will donate regularly. With the exception of those who can't, due to the really strict regulations, I genuinely think everyone should donate. Just to be clear, I'm not saying it should be compulsory (TSR people have assumed worse things from my posts :wink:) - I just think everyone who can donate should. As others have said, you would accept other people's blood if you needed it, so you have a moral obligation to provide blood if you can.

And just to contribute to another debate: the gay one. I really think the NHS is caught between a rock and a hard place. They would certainly get a lot more blood if they removed this rule, but the risk, as they showed on the website, would go up. I can understand that it must be frustrating if you're "a man who has sex with men", but you should realise that it's just a precaution, and it should be worth it to prevent infection from others' blood. To be honest, I don't feel like I know enough of the stats to make up my mind where I stand on this topic. I can see how irritating it must be though :/.
I would gladly receive, so I gladly donate.

Although they have to go over the maximum time allowed to get the minimum amount of blood required out of me. Apparently I have 'tiny veins and a ridiculously slow flow'.

My blood just does not give a f*ck.
Reply 107
I've done it once.
And for sure I would like to do it again :smile:
Its such a good feeling when you save people lives
Reply 108
I give - being O- means that I'd feel super guilty for not giving blood :p:

I'd take but only if I really, really need it and all other options have been exhausted.
I'd love to give blood if i was able to but have had a blood transfusion before so am not allowed to i think... :frown: im on the organ donor register though :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
I gave blood even though I knew I was half a stone lighter than I was meant to be to do it. Just made sure I drank loads of water before and after and it was fine.

I'm also on the bone marrow register. Would need to gain weight to donate if I was ever a match but it'd be worth it.

Would obviously accept blood/organs and stuff.

My mum had a full hysterectomy due to have cervical cancer and she only made it through due to being given like 8 units of blood. So I will definitely continue to donate to help save others.
Original post by derangedyoshi
I hate it when people use anecdotes to justify something like this - that happens very rarely. Anyway, even if you were guaranteed to have that happen to you, wouldn't it be worth it (potentially) to save a life?

I have never donated blood, being under the requisite age, but I look forward to being 17 in a year and a bit, when I will donate regularly. With the exception of those who can't, due to the really strict regulations, I genuinely think everyone should donate. Just to be clear, I'm not saying it should be compulsory (TSR people have assumed worse things from my posts :wink:) - I just think everyone who can donate should. As others have said, you would accept other people's blood if you needed it, so you have a moral obligation to provide blood if you can.

And just to contribute to another debate: the gay one. I really think the NHS is caught between a rock and a hard place. They would certainly get a lot more blood if they removed this rule, but the risk, as they showed on the website, would go up. I can understand that it must be frustrating if you're "a man who has sex with men", but you should realise that it's just a precaution, and it should be worth it to prevent infection from others' blood. To be honest, I don't feel like I know enough of the stats to make up my mind where I stand on this topic. I can see how irritating it must be though :/.

I'd like to give blood, I said that. After an accident involving a revolving door, I popped a blood vessel in my right leg, it swelled up, bruised like hell, and to this day my right leg is slightly more swollen than my left. I'd really prefer not to have something matching in my arm. :/
I would most definitely give- my younger brother has a disease which has caused him to be very ill several times over. If it helps anyone get out of that situation, it would be worth it all. I would also donate organs after death. :smile:

And yes, I would receive blood too. I cannot really see why religious institutions say no (Obviously I know why, but I cannot see the logic in their statements)
I would love to give but I have a tattoo :frown: It sucks because I'm sure it would feel so great to do it, and of course more importantly to be used to save lives.
I have donated 5 times, soon to be 6, and still haven't received my blue Donor card :hmmm:

Original post by Coco-Berry Drop
I would love to give but I have a tattoo :frown: It sucks because I'm sure it would feel so great to do it, and of course more importantly to be used to save lives.

How long have you had that tattoo? You can give blood if you haven't had a tattoo done within in last 6 months.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by aeterno
I'd take but only if I really, really need it and all other options have been exhausted.

I said it earlier in the thread, I'll say it again: Do you honestly think that doctors just transfuse patients willy nilly? :p: There's a shortage of blood and transfusions carry various inherent risks; obviously they only do it when it's necessary.
Original post by Revd. Mike

Equally, I think it's ridiculously selfish that you wouldn't donate your organs after death to possibly save someone's life. Of course, it's entirely your own decision to make, but doesn't change the fact it's an irrational and selfish one.

Well sorry I've touched your humanist nerve, but without sounding imprudent, I am far from selfish or irrational. You don't know me or my circumstances well enough to make such a sweeping observation.

Original post by Revd. Mike
Unfortunately that's not entirely the case. You really think that if you're dying from a terminal illness or organ failure, then they simply step up the morphine and then you feel fine until you pass? I've seen several people on their deathbeds, completely maxed out on pain meds, yet they've still been in agony. The only difference is that they're barely lucid enough to say goodbye.

Its at the doctors discretion as to how much pain medication they get and their illness may determine how effective opioids are, but patients are often given less medication than they need as doctors have failed to carry out appropriate diagnostic testing or they withhold stronger medication from the patient as they feel to administer this would be "giving up".
Maybe you'd like to read this article - http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000201/755.html - very informative. It states "The World Health Organization has developed guidelines for the relief of chronic pain. Studies have shown that by following these guidelines, physicians can achieve adequate pain control in nearly 90 percent of patients. So, while I feel sympathy for those people that you've witnessed in extreme pain, they are very much in the minority.
As for the lucidity, some people favour that and in my opinion, it's a much nicer way to pass on.
My views?

I've tried to give blood a few times but been refused for having travelled or had vaccinations recently beforehand. I will give when I'm allowed!

I respect people who give blood, but don't think less of anyone for saying they haven't given blood.

I think people it should be a voluntary scheme, as it is now.
I am unsure about giving blood because I'm always a bit queasy when I even think about the word blood, but I am a registered organ donor and my NHS record says they can basically strip me for whatever they want - corneas and all. If I could stump up the courage I would give blood, but in any case I'll hopefully be saving lives after I die.
Reply 119
To those people who would donate but are scared of needles - I understand and sympathise, I really do. I can't stand needles, almost to the point of phobia. But sometimes, it's important to do things that you know are hard for you, for what you know is the greater good. I've donated around ten times, and still, every time, I have to warn the nurse that I'm a big baby, every time, I wince when the needle goes in, and every time, I lie there thinking that it's pretty uncomfortable. But as I sit there enjoying the free biscuits afterwards, I have to admit that, actually, it was no big deal. At the very worse, it was ten minutes of mild discomfort. Often, it's not even that.

And just possibly, it's a life saved. There aren't many occasions where the average person has a genuine opportunity to save someone's life. We get the chance two to three times a year. I think that's a bit special, actually.

Quick Reply