The Student Room Group

RBS or Societe Generale

Which one would you choose for Fixed Income Sales and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by N.5
Which one would you choose for Fixed Income Sales and why?

RBS. SocGen's strong suit is Equity Derivs, but for RBS its Credit. FI is like 60% of their business.
Original post by Zweihander
RBS. SocGen's strong suit is Equity Derivs, but for RBS its Credit. FI is like 60% of their business.

lol RBS is second/third-tier in credit (and that's what the credit trader who interviewed me there said :wink:), it's not their "strength"
Reply 3
Original post by Teenage Pirate
lol RBS is second/third-tier in credit (and that's what the credit trader who interviewed me there said :wink:), it's not their "strength"

RBS is a second-tier bank, but I doubt an interviewer would come out and explicitly say that, it's somewhat degrading. Nonetheless, they are definitely strongest in Credit. Practically all the awards they've won in the past two years have been for bonds/rates, and if you look over Thomson Reuters analytics, you find that about 60% of their S&T revenue is from Fixed Income.
(edited 13 years ago)
RBS is a second-tier bank, but I doubt an interviewer would come out and explicitly say that, it's somewhat degrading. Nonetheless, they are definitely strongest in Credit. Practically all the awards they've won in the past two years have been for bonds/rates, and if you look over Thomson Reuters analytics, you find that about 60% of their S&T revenue is from Credit.

Difference between rates & credit...
Reply 5
Exactly, rates is their strong point, not credit

at first you say Fixed Income is 60% of revenue, then say credit is 60% of revenue, so which one is it? Fixed Income encompasses rates and that is what they are good at.

Either way 60% of a small amount is an even smaller amount
RBS is a second-tier bank, but I doubt an interviewer would come out and explicitly say that, it's somewhat degrading. Nonetheless, they are definitely strongest in Credit. Practically all the awards they've won in the past two years have been for bonds/rates, and if you look over Thomson Reuters analytics, you find that about 60% of their S&T revenue is from Credit.

No.

IG at RBS is not a strong franchise on the street, HY isn't too bad, but I don't know what world you're living in where you think RBS have a strong all round Credit business.

Secondly, there is a stark difference between Rates and Credit; simply blasting out "yea, but they both use yield curves, init like", isn't going to win you any favours wherever you go. They're two very difference asset classes despite falling under the Fixed Income banner.

Finally, I'm not really sure how you can call them a 2nd/3rd tier bank when they have one of the strongest Rates and FX businesses on the street.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by NothingOnYou
No.

IG at RBS is not a strong franchise on the street, HY isn't too bad, but I don't know what world you're living in where you think RBS have a strong all round Credit business.

Secondly, there is a stark difference between Rates and Credit; simply blasting out "yea, but they both use yield curves, init like", isn't going to win you any favours wherever you go. They're two very difference asset classes despite falling under the Fixed Income banner.

Finally, I'm not really sure how you can call them a 2nd/3rd tier bank when they have one of the strongest Rates and FX businesses on the street.

RBS are very much a 2nd tier bank these days.
Reply 8
No.

dude where have you been for the past 2 years?
Original post by Zürich
RBS are very much a 2nd tier bank these days.

Dude, you haven't even interned.
(edited 13 years ago)
Dude, you haven't even interned.

What's that got to with it?
Original post by Zürich
What's that got to with it?

Making vast sweeping comments about things you (seemingly) know absolutely nothing about.

Not entirely sure how a top 5 player in FX and Rates - can be considered a "second tier house", along with the likes of Credit Agricole, BBVA, Daiwa, etc.
Making vast sweeping comments about things you (seemingly) know absolutely nothing about.

Not entirely sure how a top 5 player in FX and Rates - can be considered a "second tier house", along with the likes of Credit Agricole, BBVA, Daiwa, etc.

What an idiot.
As mentioned above, RBS has a respectable franchise in Rates and FX, but the credit franchise is quite week.

Zurich, you spout too much BS on these forums.
Original post by Zürich
What an idiot.

Meh.
(edited 13 years ago)
Think you guys are forgetting what this thread's supposed to be about.
Reply 17
just slipping in here..I have an ability centre for Risk Management with them and I was wondering how this would be for a start to my professional careers.

Either way I'm going to the interview and just curious as to wat I should talk about? How do people actually manage this risk? What methods are used?
Original post by Radeon.2009
As mentioned above, RBS has a respectable franchise in Rates and FX, but the credit franchise is quite weak.

Zurich, you spout too much BS on these forums.

Agreed with all of the above.

@OP, go to RBS.
Reply 19
credit and rates are different things. rbs is good for rates. thts the only thing it is good for really. socgen good fir equity deriv. both banks don't pay as well though in terms of bonuses at the higher level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending