The Student Room Group

Britain is overcrowded... something needs to be done about immigration...

Scroll to see replies

Public services not coping with demand isn't necessarily a sign of overcrowding so much as systems in need of reform, whether it be small or major reform.

Personally, I walk through the countryside and don't have a problem bumping into people. I also walk through cities and the capital without bumping into people. I stroll through private and public buildings without any problem and wherever I am, don't queue for very long at all. Based on this, I don't think we have such a problem with overcrowding as some people make out, and most other problems associated with dense populations can be sorted out without preventing people coming into the country.
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Would you mind to define me "ethnic Scot"?

If you do not understand the term ethnic then I can't really help you.

An ethnic Sot shares heritage, culture, identity and common ancestry.

The Scottish people (Scots Gaelic: Albannaich), or Scots, are a nation and ethnic group native to Scotland. Historically they emerged from an amalgamation of the Celtic Picts (east) and Gaels (west).

I have traced my family tree and I am undobtedly Scottish and I don't have anything to prove to some non-scot lieke you whos ancestral line dates back to this country only a handful of decades. Where do you people get the sheer audicty. I could never imagine going to Japan and actually saying this is not your countryor prove to me your Japanese, how dare you say that to me.

You are exactly why I want non-eu immigrations topped. You cleaerly have no respect for me or my ancestors, whom let your family migrate here. Have some respect for the people who took you in.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by DarkWhite
Public services not coping with demand isn't necessarily a sign of overcrowding so much as systems in need of reform, whether it be small or major reform.

Personally, I walk through the countryside and don't have a problem bumping into people. I also walk through cities and the capital without bumping into people. I stroll through private and public buildings without any problem and wherever I am, don't queue for very long at all. Based on this, I don't think we have such a problem with overcrowding as some people make out, and most other problems associated with dense populations can be sorted out without preventing people coming into the country.

I don't think you have ever used the tube on weekdays or weekends during peak times?

Population is expected to rise from 60 odd billion to around 77 billion in around 10 years... its going to continue to climb and climb if current trends continue... unless something is done now, the future of Britain is going to be very very difficult.
Original post by Jody Mcintyre
If you do not understand the term ethnic then I can't really help you.

An ethnic Sot shares heritage, culture, identity and common ancestry.

Your words are too general. I have done some research and you may show me evidence of your link to Celtic Picts and Gaels. :rolleyes: If you can't then swallow your own words and admit your pride has no ground and you are basically a liar. Do you have some evidence linking you to Scottish people from an ethnic point of view?:smile: I also should say that as time passes, that genetic heritage is weaker and weaker. Can you show scientifical evidence that the percentage of your genetical information is "pure" enough to be considered an ethnic Scot? I will wait here for your response. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
I think the government already does "something" about immigration when it comes to non-EU immigrants as for those from EU countries it is not much to be done.
This is a very much-discussed issue, please inform yourself on that specific subject before starting a thread.

Original post by cybergrad
Disagree, when I travel to the countryside I see a lot of space.

That's true but that space is to remain like that, not to be covered with sky-breakers.:smile:

Original post by MJay91
No, but TSR is overcrowded with stupid threads.

That's true too, that's why I suggest people use the Search function before creating a new thread.
And I want that to remain countryside, I don't want our landscape concreted over.

:smile:You're not alone

Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
As an environmentalist, I believe that any net population increase at the moment is a terrible idea given how much pressure we already place on these islands. All non-EU immigration should be stopped indefinitely, although EU immigration and emigration to the EU doesn't give much of a net change per year. Remember, our environmental impact isn't limited to the urban areas themselves, and that most of the countryside is intensely, carefully managed rather than left wild. Crowding out nature will be our downfall if we're not careful.

As for overcrowding, I think we should start to build up instead of out . . . our cities are in dire need of rebuilding anyway.

And please don't mistake this for racism or xenophobia - I love the contributions that other cultures have made to ours, and some of my best friends are from abroad - but we need time to catch up and develop our infrastructure to deal with the current population, and to roll back some of the urban sprawl. We can't do that if the population is growing substantially.

Speak louder:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
yer letz turn all r mountains & fieldz in2 council flats so we can houze da world!!!!111!!!1 open borderz <3

But overcrowding isn't about you standing up on a bus because there isn't enough seats, it's also about whether services such as the NHS and housing are able to cope. The figures at least, are suggesting that we aren't meeting housing demands and with public spending being cut, how do you suggest we get money to reform these systems? build the hospitals and houses?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
yer letz turn all r mountains & fieldz in2 council flats so we can houze da world!!!!111!!!1 open borderz <3

Since when does Maggie talk like a chav? :frown:
I don't care, the whole planet thinks that we Europeans owe every third worlder a good life.

Newsflash ........... WE DON'T

LOL, this is a mad world

wtf end of the day god created this world for us humans, and this alone gives us the right to 'trespass' on any foreign lands we desire.... there are too many re.tarded government's out there that prevent individuals from having adequate freedom, and basics ( food, shelter, democracy...)

just take a look at Eritrea's president, who holds tight restrictions and does not allow any interference. The average pay is $130 annual btw, and you wonder why people want to leave..:mad:

rep me people
Original post by Hamesh
It's given in the BBC link I provided in the format of a spreadsheet.

The BBC are left wing though and pro non eu immigration so its not a credible source.
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Your words are too general. I have done some research and you may show me evidence of your link to Celtic Picts and Gaels. :rolleyes: If you can't then swallow your own words and admit your pride has no ground and you are basically a liar. Do you have some evidence linking you to Scottish people from an ethnic point of view?:smile:

You simply cannot dismiss the entire Scottish ethnic group by saying 'prove it to me'. I am not Russian, I am not English. I am Scottish and I have traced my family tree. You simply have no argument. You don't understand my pride because you are not Scottish, you know you are not.

And I have nothing to prove to a third worlder who my family and people were kind enough to allow your family to come to my country.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by burhanzilla
LOL, this is a mad world

wtf end of the day god created this world for us humans, and this alone gives us the right to 'trespass' on any foreign lands we desire.... there are too many re.tarded government's out there that prevent individuals from having adequate freedom, and basics ( food, shelter, democracy...)

just take a look at Eritrea's president, who holds tight restrictions and does not allow any interference. The average pay is $130 annual btw, and you wonder why people want to leave..:mad:

rep me people

God did not create my society or my country, my ancestors did that. And for the record I don't believe in god.
Original post by MJay91
Since when does Maggie talk like a chav? :frown:

When she is around idiotic arguments.
Reply 93
No. We need a 100% complete mixed raced society. I just pray and hope everyday the tories p!ss up on immigration. C'mon mixed raced Britain, NOW NOW NOW!!
Original post by Gnobe
No. We need a 100% complete mixed raced society. I just pray and hope everyday the tories p!ss up on immigration. C'mon mixed raced Britain, NOW NOW NOW DAMMIT!!

Are you actually a far right winger masquerding as a liberal to make them look stupid ?
Reply 95
I think that we do control immigration, even if it meant leaving the EU.
Original post by robbo3045
I don't think you have ever used the tube on weekdays or weekends during peak times?

Population is expected to rise from 60 odd billion to around 77 billion in around 10 years... its going to continue to climb and climb if current trends continue... unless something is done now, the future of Britain is going to be very very difficult.

Quite a few times as a matter of fact, and whilst it is busy, I still manage to avoid bumping into people, which is more than can be said for a number of other countries. I'm not talking about the last few stops on the Northern Line either, in case that was coming.

As population climbs, buildings will be created to accommodate for such people, public services will have more money and reform to allow them to expand, and jobs will be created for those new borns.

People have been saying that overcrowding's a problem for decades now, but we still haven't seen any real disaster as a direct result of over-population, and we've coped and coped through progress. The amount of space left in this country is huge, and everything else can expand.

But all this is irrelevant, because the world population isn't 60 billion people. The USCB estimates it to be less than 7 billion. The highest UN estimate predicts it will take 90 years to double, whilst the smallest estimates it will eventually begin to decrease. If you're talking about the UK, then it's estimated to be around 60 million and is estimated to reach 70 million by around 2040.

Primary source of data being http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/idb/informationGateway.php.
Reply 97
Quite a few times as a matter of fact, and whilst it is busy, I still manage to avoid bumping into people, which is more than can be said for a number of other countries. I'm not talking about the last few stops on the Northern Line either, in case that was coming.

As population climbs, buildings will be created to accommodate for such people, public services will have more money and reform to allow them to expand, and jobs will be created for those new borns.

People have been saying that overcrowding's a problem for decades now, but we still haven't seen any real disaster as a direct result of over-population, and we've coped and coped through progress. The amount of space left in this country is huge, and everything else can expand.

But all this is irrelevant, because the world population isn't 60 billion people. The USCB estimates it to be less than 7 billion. The highest UN estimate predicts it will take 90 years to double, whilst the smallest estimates it will eventually begin to decrease. If you're talking about the UK, then it's estimated to be around 60 million and is estimated to reach 70 million by around 2040.

Primary source of data being http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/idb/informationGateway.php.

I don't want to live in a densely populated land. I want there to be space, air, forests and fields. I want there to be countryside. Space to breath. I don't want to fill everything with pollution and concrete. So I totally disagree with you.
Reply 98
Original post by Jackthevillain
The BBC are left wing though and pro non eu immigration so its not a credible source.

You only have a problem with non EU immigration, no?
Original post by Hamesh
You only have a problem with non EU immigration, no?

Personally I have a problem with all mass migration. However the pros of EU immigration is that more European migrants mean less non-eu migrants.

I think I can speak for the majority of Britons who would prefer European migrants to non-European migrants
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest