The Student Room Group

Girlfriend - Golddigger Experiment.

This Christmas I spent £100 on my girlfriend. We've been together a substantial amount of time, over 2 years, and as a debt ridden, poor student, it's the most I could afford.

On her part, she spent roughly £10 on me.

We are from similar financial backgrounds and are slightly supported by family, but her personal finances are sailing in calm black seas, while mine dress in tarty red and go flirting with the bank manager every month.

I know it's the thought that counts, I know money doesn't mean much, love conquers all, but I can't help feeling just a slightest bit peeved that I scrapped my pennies off the floor to make her Christmas, yet she (seriously) spent as much on her cat's birthday last month than she has on me.

I feel like I might be being taken for a ride, in which I merrily sit astride Santa's sleigh throwing out gifts, and in return Dick Dastardly pulls up alongside for Muttley to crap in my sack.

Immoral as it may be, I've decided to run a small experiment. Her birthday arrives in a couple of weeks, and unlike last year where she received a new necklace and matching ear rings, this year I'm getting her a single box of chocs and maybe some stationary, just to gauge her reaction, and admittedly, savour a small bitter sweet nugget flavoured with the mildest revenge. Mostly to see what happens though.

Am I a horrible person?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Am I a horrible person?

Maybe. But it's interesting.

Be sure to share the results of your experiment bro. :wink:

Btw, are you by any chance an English student?! :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
It's stationery
Reply 3
An experiment that will result in her finishing with you but an experiment that should be done all the same. You are right, moral and just in your cause. Tally ho brother.
Reply 4
It's not a bad idea, especially with her birthday so close to Christmas. That way you have plausible deniability. Post your results.
Reply 5
Report back, this should be interesting! :smile:
Reply 6
£100 is a lot!

I don't care a lot about presents, and I never wear jewelery. Anything nice, is well ... nice :smile: . lol.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Took the words right outta' my mouth. :rolleyes:

+repd!
Reply 8
some families don't have a tradition of giving ostentatious pressies at chrimbo - so always subtly suss girlfriends out in the months leading up :top:

mind you if she didn't even seem a bit embarrassed about the discrepancy it could be trouble.
Reply 9
It sounds like you didn't agree on a price limit.
If you do this, one partner doesn't spend more than another partner.

In any case, you're now in debt and she's not. Perhaps she wanted to remain in the black?

Do the experiment if you'd like, it'd be interesting, but it seems a tad childish and the whole thing could have been avoided.

As well as this, the amount of money spent shouldn't matter. No one forced you to spend £100! :')

Good luck with your experiment :smile:
I never really got the whole spending large sums of money on your bf/gf at Christmas. What ever happened to just the one present from each person?

It seems to have gotten a little ridiculous with my friends/family this year. They've probably spent on average between £150-£200 on one person alone - and even then most were worrying whether they'd got enough/whether their partner had bought them more. It seems to have become more of an 'outdo each other' type of thing. I mean, fair enough if you have that sort of money to spend, but most of them are students who are generally strapped for cash and now in all likelihood exceeded their overdrafts.

I'd be happy with a nice scarf or book.

/rant over.
Original post by Mess.
An experiment that will result in her finishing with you but an experiment that should be done all the same. You are right, moral and just in your cause. Tally ho brother.

You think betting on Arsenal is bad? OP got £10 returns on a £200 bet! :tongue:
Reply 12
How would you communicate that you thought your partner was a gold digger? If they are, get offended and storm off, that's fine. But what if they aren't, and get offended? Worth finding out first, no?
maybe next christmas or significant money spending event discuss your limits so therefore your not in for a shock.
I bet you bottle it in the end.
Original post by Ultimate_Geek
I never really got the whole spending large sums of money on your bf/gf at Christmas. What ever happened to just the one present from each person?

It seems to have gotten a little ridiculous with my friends/family this year. They've probably spent on average between £150-£200 on one person alone - and even then most were worrying whether they'd got enough/whether their partner had bought them more. It seems to have become more of an 'outdo each other' type of thing. I mean, fair enough if you have that sort of money to spend, but most of them are students who are generally strapped for cash and now in all likelihood exceeded their overdrafts.

I'd be happy with a nice scarf or book.

/rant over.

How about a bf AND a (karma sutra) book? :sexface:
Reply 16
Did you discuss how much you were (roughly) going to spend before Christmas? That could have reduced the difference.

How much have you spent in the past on each other?

Also, what were the presents? Was hers more thoughtful than the box of chocs and stationary you're planning on giving her, despite the £10 price tag?

Original post by Ultimate_Geek
It seems to have gotten a little ridiculous with my friends/family this year. They've probably spent on average between £150-£200 on one person alone - and even then most were worrying whether they'd got enough/whether their partner had bought them more.

:eek: £150 was what I spent on everyone put together!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by XmasFoodChallenge
You think betting on Arsenal is bad? OP got £10 returns on a £200 bet! :tongue:

:awesome: I think even you have a better chance than the OP :mmm:
Reply 18
She might think your taking the piss with the stationery. Give her something home made. A cheap gift you made yourself will still cost nothing and be considered "thoughtful."
To be fair to OP, I would like to say this but I conducted experiments to figure out exactly how much, in monetary values, my friends and family value my companionship.

Quick Reply