The Student Room Group

How to (Painlessly) Apply to US Universities

Scroll to see replies

Hi all,

I'm actually finding it quite difficult to fill in the Common App, it is really confusing. Could anyone willing to help please PM me :smile:

Thanks
Original post by *Dreamer*
Hi all,

I'm actually finding it quite difficult to fill in the Common App, it is really confusing. Could anyone willing to help please PM me :smile:

Thanks

Hey, just stumbled on this thread. :smile: I'm an American applying to UK as well as US universities, and I've been working on my Common App for almost four months now, so I'd certainly be willing to help! :biggrin:

Let me know if you still want me to PM you!
Original post by Clementiney921
Hey, just stumbled on this thread. :smile: I'm an American applying to UK as well as US universities, and I've been working on my Common App for almost four months now, so I'd certainly be willing to help! :biggrin:

Let me know if you still want me to PM you!

Yes yes yes please. I'm kinda panicky and the deadline is in a few days :smile: xxx
So I've just checked my mail and I've got a Harvard interview in January... is this standard, or am I to be happy :biggrin:? I haven't taken my SAT tests or ACT yet but they are arranged for January and February, will that put me at a disadvantage?

Also, my school hasn't made a proper high school manuscript, will it be OK to bring it to the interview with me?

I'm happy and nervous and confused and everything right now LOL

xx
Reply 64
Interviews for US schools are more informal than those for UK unis. You're given an interview if there is an available alumnus in your area. It doesn't have any bearing on how you're faring in admissions at the moment.

You may want to bring a list of any extracurricular activities. Here are some more tips for interviews (note: some of this applies to on-campus interviews): http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/973360-interview-tips-college-interviewer.html. Also, ask your interviewer questions about Harvard that can't be answered anywhere else, especially if he/she is a recent alumnus.

Harvard's test deadline policies are probably on their website. If they don't typically accept tests from those dates, e-mail them asking them about whether your should rush report (not sure if this is done internationally) or do a regular report for them.
Reply 65
I applied to Georgetown University in Washington DC. I gave them a call, spoke to a nice person who understood the British education system, she said seemed impressed with my GCSE's and A levels and sent me an application pack. I sent it with proof of my A levels and GCSE's and they waved the SAT requirement. Different uni's are going to ask for different things and the only way you will find out is by contacting them. Best of luck to those applying!
Original post by SaintSaens
Interviews for US schools are more informal than those for UK unis. You're given an interview if there is an available alumnus in your area. It doesn't have any bearing on how you're faring in admissions at the moment.

You may want to bring a list of any extracurricular activities. Here are some more tips for interviews (note: some of this applies to on-campus interviews): http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/973360-interview-tips-college-interviewer.html. Also, ask your interviewer questions about Harvard that can't be answered anywhere else, especially if he/she is a recent alumnus.

Harvard's test deadline policies are probably on their website. If they don't typically accept tests from those dates, e-mail them asking them about whether your should rush report (not sure if this is done internationally) or do a regular report for them.

OK thanks! The tests ive scheduled are within the right time frame im just hoping somebody who already has great scores isnt placed above me :/

Ive left everything really late so hopefully it works out in the end! I know harvard are really brutal in terms of admission but its worth a shot, at least.
Reply 67
My friend got into Brown and it's funny because he didn't have the grades to get into UK schools and colleges but got into bloody BROWN!!!! I think they're desperate for international students so you should deff apply!
Original post by Singh1
My friend got into Brown and it's funny because he didn't have the grades to get into UK schools and colleges but got into bloody BROWN!!!! I think they're desperate for international students so you should deff apply!

That is pretty amazing :O...I have the grades I'm just worried about the admissions tests...and thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated :smile:
Reply 69
That is pretty amazing :O...I have the grades I'm just worried about the admissions tests...and thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated :smile:

Seriously, I strongly advise you to apply, I mean he wanted to go to this prestigious comprehensive school for his A-Levels but his GCSE grades were not so good so he remained at our state school and i dont even think he got that good AS grades, which was another reason for him to apply to US universities as I think the grade boundaries were slightly lower. Anyway, as long as you can adapt to living in America, it'll all be fine! All the best mate!
Reply 70
Original post by Singh1

I have to lol at the idea that Brown is desperate for international students.

Also, my school hasn't made a proper high school manuscript, will it be OK to bring it to the interview with me?

What have you given on your application thus far (i.e. did you just provide grades, or did your school also give copies of your certificates)? This shall determine whether you need a transcript or not (they're usually meant for US students), as international students just need to provide copies of their GCSE/A-level/IB certificates etc.

Also, a note to those who may not have gotten an interview - the interview itself bears no relevance to the admissions process, as Harvard expressly states (as do all the other top schools) that your application WILL NOT be at a disadvantage if you are not invited for an interview (an interview is just a way to answer any questions you may have for the school etc). Whether you are or not invited, usually depends on the number of alumni in your area willing to help with interview etc.

I myself didn't have an interview for Yale last year, but did so with Harvard, and I received offers from both. My point being, don't stress and enjoy the New Year/Holidays with ease :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by manchild007
What have you given on your application thus far (i.e. did you just provide grades, or did your school also give copies of your certificates)? This shall determine whether you need a transcript or not (they're usually meant for US students), as international students just need to provide copies of their GCSE/A-level/IB certificates etc.

Also, a note to those who may not have gotten an interview - the interview itself bears no relevance to the admissions process, as Harvard expressly states (as do all the other top schools) that your application WILL NOT be at a disadvantage if you are not invited for an interview (an interview is just a way to answer any questions you may have for the school etc). Whether you are or not invited, usually depends on the number of alumni in your area willing to help with interview etc.

I myself didn't have an interview for Yale last year, but did so with Harvard, and I received offers from both. My point being, don't stress and enjoy the New Year/Holidays with ease :smile:

Hey! OK...I gave copies of my GCSE and AS certificates so that should be enough, I hope =S

Would you mind looking at my additional essay that I've written =)

Happy Holidays
Yes yes yes please. I'm kinda panicky and the deadline is in a few days :smile: xxx

No probs, same here, I still need to write another essay! :eek:

Sending you a PM now!
Hey! OK...I gave copies of my GCSE and AS certificates so that should be enough, I hope =S

Would you mind looking at my additional essay that I've written =)

Happy Holidays

Feel free to PM it to me and I'll have a look at it later today and send you my feedback.

Best Wishes :smile:
I've just finished my graduate applications to universities in the US. And all my application decisions have been made. This is kind of a long process of excruciating torture.
You know what I dont get is how do u send ur IGCSE/AS level certificates to a bunch of different universites that ur applying to? Do u sent originals or what?!
What test should I do SAT or ACT?
Thanks
Original post by tkoki1993
Thanks

Certainly the SAT; its older (and thus more valued/established than the ACT) and recognised by every university in the US.
Original post by tkoki1993
Thanks

Since most universities (especially the well-known ones) will accept either (though they may also ask for SAT Subject Tests), it is up to you. Many people I know take the SAT first, see how they do, and proceed from there. It is not uncommon that someone may do much better on one test than the other, as the two are somewhat different.

I'd recommend doing a bit of research on the tests, the requirements of schools you are interested in, and going from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending