The Student Room Group

ethics and sterilisation.

hi all,
I'm looking for some help, I'm trying to work out what the ethical issues are around surgical sterilisation of a woman who has just came out of a relationship and is 35.
I understand autonomy is massive in this case, however there surely is other ethical principles which apply to this situation!
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by geek_kid§
hi all,
I'm looking for some help, I'm trying to work out what the ethical issues are around surgical sterilisation of a woman who has just came out of a relationship and is 35.
I understand autonomy is massive in this case, however there surely is other ethical principles which apply to this situation!
Thanks!
I call;

YOUR MUM!
hi all,
Thanks!

Think it through in terms of all four of the principles:
Autonomy - does she want it, does she have the mental capacity to decide for herself, what motivates those that are deciding for her if she doesn't
Beneficence - why does she need it, what good does it do eg. required to remove life threatening cancer?
Nonmaleficence - it's taking away one of her fundamental rights of being a women - being able to reproduce. She is still of child bearing age. If it's not required it shouldn't be done. Has she been made aware of all options, including reproductive options like egg harvesting, donors, adoption.
Justice - Are you being fair to the women, would you do the same to others in her situation

Does that help?
Original post by ilovehotchocolate

Nonmaleficence - it's taking away one of her fundamental rights of being a women - being able to reproduce. She is still of child bearing age. If it's not required it shouldn't be done. Has she been made aware of all options, including reproductive options like egg harvesting, donors, adoption.

I think you may have some wires crossed?

The lady is for a sterilisation and not fertilisation. Adoption et donors are a bit off topic.

As for your points to do with child bearing age: I'm assuming that's an error to do with the crossed wires. Being of a female of reproductive age and not wanting children is pretty much always the reason for wanting sterilised.

"Taking away one of her fundamental rights"... the never mentioned they were doing it against her wishes. It would be different if she we're a mentally handicapped woman of reproductive age whose mother/father/gaurdian insists be sterilised.
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
I think you may have some wires crossed?

The lady is for a sterilisation and not fertilisation. Adoption et donors are a bit off topic.

As for your points to do with child bearing age: I'm assuming that's an error to do with the crossed wires. Being of a female of reproductive age and not wanting children is pretty much always the reason for wanting sterilised.

"Taking away one of her fundamental rights"... the never mentioned they were doing it against her wishes. It would be different if she we're a mentally handicapped woman of reproductive age whose mother/father/gaurdian insists be sterilised.

All very true, I was just trying to cover all bases because the OP didn't say either way whether it was against her wishes or not. If it was being forced on her for example through illness, she would/should be offered to discuss fertility options, and if it is her choice she should still be givent he option to talk to someone about her motivations for doing it, even if it's just the GP who is referring her. Just meant to be extra points to think about, and equally just my take on it.
Reply 5
hey sorry,
The woman wants sterilisation, she has just came out of a long term relationship and is clearly affected by this, however she is NOT depressed.
I'm baffled by it!
The RCOG guidance advises that women be made aware of all of their options etc prior to consent and are to have capacity (obviously)
however, what are the ethics behind this case? what is ethically right/wrong? is it irresponsible to perform the procedure on a woman with an intense feeling that she will go on to regret this sterilisation?
Thanks for all your help!!
Reply 6
hey sorry,
The woman wants sterilisation, she has just came out of a long term relationship and is clearly affected by this, however she is NOT depressed.
I'm baffled by it!
The RCOG guidance advises that women be made aware of all of their options etc prior to consent and are to have capacity (obviously)
however, what are the ethics behind this case? what is ethically right/wrong? is it irresponsible to perform the procedure on a woman with an intense feeling that she will go on to regret this sterilisation?
Thanks for all your help!!

If you really believe that she will come to regret this decision then it would be irresponsible to offer it (especially as there are better, safer, more reversible alternatives now). The fact that she will have all sorts of emotional issues after the breakup of a relationship should be taken into account but you shouldn't make too many assumptions. Ethically I'm not sure it's too complicated to be honest; you should just follow the principles of good medical practice to help her make a decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending