The Student Room Group

Scots ask for 'tagging' of alcohol bottles

Well its the Scottish Labour party.. what a bunch of idiots.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12083695

A waste of time, money and other police resources if you ask me.

I don't think its going to happen, but its just another example of (Labour) politicians' lunacy.

Scroll to see replies

Maybe it's not meant to be literal "bottle" tagging, but the guy in the picture is drinking from a can... just a useless observation on my part :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Drunk Punx

Maybe it's not meant to be literal "bottle" tagging, but the guy in the picture is drinking from a can... just a useless observation on my part :h:

lol. Yea, tagging of cans too maybe.

They cannot stop underage drinking completely, they've made it hard enough already but it hasn't worked. Why are they throwing money at a dead cause?
Reply 3
Scottish Labour.

Even when they aren't in power, they still try and further the nanny state.
Original post by Steph90

They cannot stop underage drinking completely, they've made it hard enough already but it hasn't worked. Why are they throwing money at a dead cause?

Because politicians need to appear to be "tough" on such matters in order to get re-elected. People aren't going to vote for a politician who doesn't address the "crucial areas" (though under-age drinking is hardly a nationwide crucial area. I would've thought the recession to be more crucial, to be honest).

they sell buckfast in cans now?
Because politicians need to appear to be "tough" on such matters in order to get re-elected. People aren't going to vote for a politician who doesn't address the "crucial areas" (though under-age drinking is hardly a nationwide crucial area. I would've thought the recession to be more crucial, to be honest).

This. It certainly isn't a nationwide serious issue...but Scotland does have more drink related crime than the rest of the UK. Certain areas of certain cities on a friday night....well...have you seen black hawk down?
Original post by el scorcho
they sell buckfast in cans now?

Looks more like Stella, yo. White can, golden top... plus it looks like a stereotypical chav is drinking it, which means it must be Stella :h:
Reply 8

But this is what I mean, it is a farce. They should say it like it is.

Also who do you think is responsible for the fact that such a large % of the population are uneducated on vital matters and many of them have a very narrow perspective on things? New Labour if you ask me.
Reply 9
Original post by Steph90

It's easy enough to wait outside a shop and ask someone on the way in to buy you alcohol.
Lots of kids do it in my area.
Reply 10
Original post by AshleyT

Original post by AshleyT
It's easy enough to wait outside a shop and ask someone on the way in to buy you alcohol.
Lots of kids do it in my area.

Exactly.. so its a pointless idea.
Reply 11
Original post by Steph90
Exactly.. so its a pointless idea.

But if police see them in the parks drinking, they can take the can, find the shop, find the person that gave it to them.
With doing that, people may stop buying younger people alcohol out of fear of being caught.
Reply 12
Original post by AshleyT
But if police see them in the parks drinking, they can take the can, find the shop, find the person that gave it to them.
With doing that, people may stop buying younger people alcohol out of fear of being caught.

it would most likely not affect the person who bought the alcohol, more likely to result in a fine on the shop that sold it
Reply 13
Original post by Zero 1
it would most likely not affect the person who bought the alcohol, more likely to result in a fine on the shop that sold it

Shop can't be fined for selling alcohol to an adult.
The who bought it for the kids though however, can.
Reply 14
Original post by AshleyT
Shop can't be fined for selling alcohol to an adult.
The who bought it for the kids though however, can.

they won't be. its not worth the resources time or effort to locate one person who gave some alcohol to someone under-age, if there was going to be a fine it would be levied against the seller. another fine example of government failure, they are intervening in the wrong area, and will ultimately accomplish nothing.
Reply 15
Original post by Zero 1
they won't be. its not worth the resources time or effort to locate one person who gave some alcohol to someone under-age, if there was going to be a fine it would be levied against the seller. another fine example of government failure, they are intervening in the wrong area, and will ultimately accomplish nothing.

How could a find be given to the seller if they sell alcohol to someone who's 30?
Seller can't predict what's going to be done after purchase.

'If under-age drinkers are found with a tagged bottle, officers can check the shop's CCTV to see who bought the alcohol.'
So they are going after the buyer.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Unworkable and pointless.
It's probably not very practical.
Reply 18
Original post by AshleyT
How could a find be given to the seller if they sell alcohol to someone who's 30?
Seller can't predict what's going to be done after purchase.

'If under-age drinkers are found with a tagged bottle, officers can check the shop's CCTV to see who bought the alcohol.'
So they are going after the buyer.

you really think that resources will be wasted going after someone who they will probably never find, then trying to prove that they actually committed a crime? it is more viable to make it the responsibility of the seller. again though it is the government intervening in the wrong way and place to save face, solving the problem would decrease tax revenue.
Reply 19
Original post by AshleyT

Original post by AshleyT

1) All this assumes there is CCTV in use at the store
2) It also assumes the CCTV is of a decent quality and admissable in court
3) It also assumes the person buying the alcohol will immediatebly be identifiable.

It won't work and even if it did: a) its pointless and b) its a waste of resources/time/money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending