The Student Room Group

Britain is overcrowded... something needs to be done about immigration...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Organ
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/2967374/England-is-most-crowded-country-in-Europe.html

Have you not read the thread? Migrants don't move to the countryside, they move to the already overcrowded urban areas.

I don't know how people can contnue to claim open door immigration is a good idea. It's completely unsustainable.

It is being capped (for skilled workers outside the EU) and as for those coming in from the EU, very little can be done anyway.
But it's a slippery slope. How far is too far?
Reply 161
maybe your perception of britain is only limited to oxford street
Reply 162
Original post by PaddySWYD
It is being capped (for skilled workers outside the EU) and as for those coming in from the EU, very little can be done anyway.
But it's a slippery slope. How far is too far?

It's not a slippery slope. The UK needs to strike a greater productivity with those here, instead of simply filling workforce shortages with immigrants and nicking skilled workers (like doctors and engineers) from the third world. Countries like Australia and New Zealand manage with a skills based immigration policy, despite having considrebly more space. As you said, there is nothing we can do about EU migrants anyway. Migrants should be let in to fill genuine skills shortages from outside the EU, not because we are too lazy to train up British citizens.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 163
Original post by Organ
It's not a slippery slope. The UK needs to strike a greater productivity with those here, instead of simply filling workforce shortages with immigrants and nicking skilled workers (like doctors and engineers) from the third world. Countries like Australia and New Zealand manage with a skills based immigration policy, despite having considrebly more space. As you said, there is nothing we can do about EU migrants anyway. Migrants should be let in to fill genuine skills shortages from outside the EU, not because we are too lazy to train up British citizens.

The vast majority of those with high paid, secure, skilled jobs in the UK are British-born (I imagine).
And either way, people being employed is the priority. I don't care who it is, but that's probably because I'm still in education.

So you're saying if Cameron rolls into work some day, says 'Ok, I've changed my mind about the new immigration policy, we are going to have no more skilled workers outside the EU' then there isn't going to be any outcry from various countries around the world? If we were to say, lay off 'immigrants' as you call them, would there be dissatisfaction from leaders?

What do you class as an immigrant?
Original post by de_monies
You're lucky you were born here. Non EU immigrants have to pass a basic English exam

Most immigrants are actually benefiting the economy and not bringing it down. What do you then sugest we do about the majority White benefit leacher's are the majority when claiming benefits.

Well, for a start that's illegal...

How is India an "open toilet" when it's considered an emerging economy, and is generally faring quite well?

And it's the working class that are mote likely to vote BNP, as they "took their jobs" innit man

Who says that we owe them a good life? Also, it's basic human instinct to try and get a better quality of life. If a job in the UK paid £6000 and in the US it paid £60000 then you'd jump at the chance. This would unlikely be the case, but the difference is massive when it comes to third world migrants moving to first world countries.

The left wingers say that the BBC is right wing, and the right wingers say that the BBC is left wing. They can't win really.

Not to be pedantic, but British ancestry comes from the "forrin" Vikings from the Nordic countries. There are very, very few people who have had a full British history ie: no Viking in their history any where.

Tbf, that's not too bad by 2040, considering our population now has increased by more than 20% since 1950.

Why would you prefer EU immigration. Both types aren't native speakers, aren't properly "in to" the culture etc.. If the UK has/will adopt/ed the Canadian/Australian model, then that would mean that non EU immigrants would have to prove their worth to the economy

You may not like EU immigration, but it's perfectly legal for EU citizens to move within the EU freely. You could move to Germany for a better job if you wanted.

So why does it matter that you were being lectured by a Muslim child of an immigrant? Some of my lecturer's are Muslims and some are also immigrants. You know you can also get white Muslims right?

So what have non EU immigrants changed?

Every heard of a white Muslim? or a brown Christian, or a brown Hindu?

It did pretty much that post WW2. If you got rid of any one who's had links to an immigrant(including those that were born/nationalised), then the country would land itself in a depression. Deporting would also cost money, so the country's screwed itself over twice

It would then mean, they would have to ask people to come back to the UK. If people do decide to come back, it would cost the UK again in forms etc..

Another point on the British Empire. In WW2, India had the largest volunteer army in the history of the world(2.4 million) At least 800,000 of the men were Muslim. It's said that the allied forces may not have won if it wasn't for the bravery and loyalty of the Indian men. Citizenship in the UK was almost a reward for Indian citizens when they had been under British rule for so long. Britain was a democracy, but denied India the privilege until after the empire disbanded

What about when world class scientists are needed when this country is lacking in the amount of people studying a science subject at masters or PHD level? Also, what is your stance on US/AU immigration?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

My conclusion:

Immigration is starting to become a problem yes. You also get the demography scares by DM and the like. What tends to happen with third generation immigrants is that they have about two or three children. We are a three sibling family, and a cousin of mine only wants around three kids as well(I know it's anecdotal evidence, but this is happening elsewhere as well)

The people that need getting rid of is the (thought of) 1 million illegal immigrants in the UK, though this is easier said than done

At any rate, the UK should adopt the Canadian/Australian model if it hasn't already(I CBA googling at this time of night)

You need only look at an area like Tower Hamlets to see how non-EU immigration has caused areas to change dramatically.
Why does no one even consider internal population management and control of both immigrants already present and the :native: English population as means of curbing our growth?
Original post by RedGuy
Slightly off topic. Just out of interest, if the BNP got into power what would they do apart from stopping immigration? A question the supporters like to ignore. I wonder why?

I think they said they'd introduce national service, not necessarily military service though.
And I believe they said they'd invest more in the NHS, or something of that ilk.

I did read their manifesto a couple of years back - it wasn't quite as bad as you might think, if a little short, I think there were maybe 15 points on it.
Reply 167
Original post by Jackthevillain
Why do we need any non eu immigration?

Why do we need any EU immigration?
We'd be declining Americans, Canadians, Australians...all big English speaking countries.

Most of those that come from outside the EU and go through the immigration system do not whore benefits - because of the strict regulations in which they come.
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Source? :hmmm:

Well, that is what the youtube video claims and this article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/2967374/England-is-most-crowded-country-in-Europe.html

The point was that it was specifying England, not the UK.
(edited 13 years ago)
You know i really hate when these threads come up, because (on this site at least) the replies normally range from one extreme to the other. You either have the far left reply of "omgzzz nazis!" or the far right reply of "kick everyone with brown skin out." First of all, i think some people need reminding that when we refer to immigrants people who were born here from a non British background do not count, so no one's realistically (apart from BNP nuts) advocating kicking all non White/non British origin people out of the UK.

I think there is a problem with immigration at the current level tbh. Although people don't like to admit it, England (not the UK) has the highest populatin density in Europe (apart from Malta i think?) and that's not something that i particularly like. You only have to live somewhere like inner city Birmingham (where i live) or i'd imagine London to realise that people do literally live on top of each other in some areas. I really wouldn't like the whole country to be like that, so when people suggest concreting over the undeveloped areas to create more housing it makes me feel like immigrating myself lol.

Now obviously high population densities in inner cities is something that happens everywhere and i'm sure was happening in England before mass immigration so i'm not saying that the cause of over crowding in this country is due to mass immigration, but now we've got to this stage (i.e. a rapidly growing population) i think it's time to consider decreasing immigration. I would never say stop it 100%, as no country in the world could cope with 0% immigration but when you look at the forecasts for population growth in this country, a lot of it is down to immigration (if it was to continue at the current rate.)

I just think if the government is going to encourage lots of immigration (like Labour did) they need to ensure that the resources are available to cope with them, and i'm sorry but in some areas they were not there, which is why you got the situation where schools couldn't cope with teaching in many languages, housing shortages etc. I think we're ok at the moment, but if immigration continues at this level then the resources will really start to get stretched to the absolute limit and (especially with the economic state of this country) there will really be nothing we can do to rectify it.

As there's nothing that can be done about EU immigration (plus considering the fact that many British people immigrate to other countries in the EU so therefore the amount from EU coming in, and going out probably balances itself out) the decrease has to come from Non EU migrants.
Reply 170
Original post by PaddySWYD
The vast majority of those with high paid, secure, skilled jobs in the UK are British-born (I imagine).
And either way, people being employed is the priority. I don't care who it is, but that's probably because I'm still in education.

So you're saying if Cameron rolls into work some day, says 'Ok, I've changed my mind about the new immigration policy, we are going to have no more skilled workers outside the EU' then there isn't going to be any outcry from various countries around the world? If we were to say, lay off 'immigrants' as you call them, would there be dissatisfaction from leaders?

What do you class as an immigrant?

I don't really understand your point. I haven't actually advocated zero immigration (if that's what you think I have said), just a reduction in the numbers of people entering the UK.
Original post by AshleyT
Why do we need any EU immigration?
We'd be declining Americans, Canadians, Australians...all big English speaking countries.

Most of those that come from outside the EU and go through the immigration system do not whore benefits - because of the strict regulations in which they come.

O yer we should allow immigration from America, Canada, New Zealand and Australia. But i mean we dont need immigrants from Asia and Africa.
Have you got enough air to breathe? Yes
Can you stretch your legs? Yes
Would you go somewhere to find a better life? Yes
If you were a victim of war, wouldn't you want to escape? Yes
I'm proud to say that my parents were immigrants to this country but they WORKED hard, harder than most of you 'indigenous britons' or whatever that bs is. Oh and news flash, not all immigrants are leeching of your benfits. Pfft my parents pay their taxes jeez :/ How pathetic are some people. So sad to see that people with these racist thoughts are still around :/
Haha i'd like to see them going to live in a 'third world' country and surviving a day!
I RATE immigrants for staying in this damn country and making a living.

We could start by kicking you out first?
Original post by Jackthevillain
O yer we should allow immigration from America, Canada, New Zealand and Australia. But i mean we dont need immigrants from Asia and Africa.

So who would you let in, in this scenario?
On the one hand, you have a South Asian national who has received a 1st in neurology at Oxford. On the other hand, you have a US national that received a third in neurology at London Metropolitan. (I CBA googling US/S. Asian universities, so we'll assume both these nationals moved to the UK on a student visa)
Reply 175
may I point out that that was mainly about England. If you go to Scotland you'll find that on the Islands around Britain the population is dropping significantly. Yes immigration is a problem but on the link you posted the arguments proposed were empty and pointless. The issue with over population is world wide.
Reply 176
Original post by Miraclefish
There are 60,776,238 people in 244,820,000,000 square metres.

That is, there are 3996 square metres of land per person in the UK. We are not over-crowded.

That's just a silly argument.

i. implying every area of britain is equally inhabitable
ii. implying people are stationary points fixed in a certain location
iii. implying that has anything to do with population density in major cities

also, it would be 4028 m^2.
I find it extremely hard to believe some figures like 98% jobs were given to migrants. If this were true, then we would have far far more people unemployed

ie: if you watch this YouTube clip, you may be shocked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wqHdR1tDD4

but then if you watch this one, you can see that the figures were from a certain period in time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mINChFxRXQs
let's face it - we (meaning immigrants in general) wouldn't come to Britain if we had to pay for education, heath care, if we didn't any receive benefits or council houses.
Maybe it's time to change those things?
go to any council estate, you'd hardly find any English speaking people in there.
Original post by silent
That's just a silly argument.

i. implying every area of britain is equally inhabitable
ii. implying people are stationary points fixed in a certain location
iii. implying that has anything to do with population density in major cities

also, it would be 4028 m^2.

There's a difference between overcrowding and population .density. There's huge amounts of empty space. But we flock together into urban areas.

And it was a semi-serious argument aiming to highlight how stupid the OP's thesis is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending