The Student Room Group

How do you study/revise for exams ?

Hi guys :smile:,

I was just wondering what were your top tips to do revisions for exams, essays etc. ?
Do you plan your day in advance, do you study with study buddies ...
Tell us everything :biggrin:

(I keep procrastinating atm due to the amount of work I got to do :rolleyes: which doesn't help really, it just make it worse)
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd like answers to this myself. I like getting good grades, but I'm not very good when it comes to revising at all. It's all just stress and memorizing like crazy. Which is really not the best way of learning, as you tend forget it all after the test etc!
Reply 2
Original post by Luceria
I'd like answers to this myself. I like getting good grades, but I'm not very good when it comes to revising at all. It's all just stress and memorizing like crazy. Which is really not the best way of learning, as you tend forget it all after the test etc!

So you too got exams in January ?
Reply 3
So no one doing revisions at the moment ?
Reply 4
I'm trying but failing miserably. :frown:
What i've done for biology + chemistry - printed out the spec, then typed my notes in a way which addresses exactly what the specification asks for.
then I'm doing a past paper, highlighting areas I need to work on, going over my notes and doing summary questions. Model answers are helping too :smile:
maths and literature, i'm just screwed. :tongue:
i use past papers and a textbook.
thats it really
Cue cards are the key to success for me :cool: :love:
Original post by Luceria

Completely off topic buttt, tell me I'm not the only one who thinks Gwaine was cheated out of his part in the loreal advert by cheryl cole. :grumble:
Reply 8
Original post by juliewho
I'm trying but failing miserably. :frown:
What i've done for biology + chemistry - printed out the spec, then typed my notes in a way which addresses exactly what the specification asks for.
then I'm doing a past paper, highlighting areas I need to work on, going over my notes and doing summary questions. Model answers are helping too :smile:
maths and literature, i'm just screwed. :tongue:

Nice, for biology i just have the unit 1 text book open, read through it and write down condensed notes, then read through them

And yeah, i'm screwed for literature too. :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Le Masquerador.
Completely off topic buttt, tell me I'm not the only one who thinks Gwaine was cheated out of his part in the loreal advert by cheryl cole. :grumble:

No, you're not the only one :laugh:
Reply 10
Original post by awais590
Nice, for biology i just have the unit 1 text book open, read through it and write down condensed notes, then read through them

And yeah, i'm screwed for literature too. :frown:

I tried that, but realised i was just absorbing information I didn't need to know :tongue:
what books/poetry are you doing?
Reply 11
Original post by Le Masquerador.

Off topic :angry: lol :biggrin:
I have the same q myself. Ive got 6 AS exams in January and really have 2 get down 2 work coz Im nowhere near ready for them. Not got a study buddy coz Im doing them distance learning so that i can do 3 A Levels in one year. I need As and Bs so i can meet my ucas offers so any ideas would help.
My advice to others in a similar position is turn off ur computer, TV, ipod and whatever other gadgets may be lying around your room, clear your desk of rubbish and sit down with your books and past papers and do it the good old fashioned way, just sit and read the material, practice using the past papers, see how uve done and then start all over again! Good luck.
Maybe we should start a thread 4 those of us with exams in January where we can keep a log of how much revision we have done each day and what results we got on past papers in comparison 2 those we're aiming for?
Reply 13
go over my spec, and i rate each point according to how confident i am. i put green, red and yellow to some points.
so obviously if it's red, i still need to go over it but if it's green, i ownt bother wasting my time going over it.
past papers and textbooks is what i use
Original post by hitheuk
Off topic :angry: lol :biggrin:

Sorry :colondollar: But I'm doing GCSE's anyway so I don't think I'd be much of a help to you :redface:

Original post by Luceria
No, you're not the only one :laugh:

Ah, good to know :tongue:

I can't believe we'll have to wait so long for the next series!:frown:
Reply 15
Original post by professortobe

My advice to others in a similar position is turn off ur computer, TV, ipod and whatever other gadgets may be lying around your room, clear your desk of rubbish and sit down with your books and past papers and do it the good old fashioned way, just sit and read the material, practice using the past papers, see how uve done and then start all over again! Good luck.

I agree but it is harder to do than to say :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by juliewho
I tried that, but realised i was just absorbing information I didn't need to know :tongue:
what books/poetry are you doing?

haha, surprisingly, it works for me, probably 'cause i'm speshul. :wink:

Books; Great Expectations + Small Island

Poetry; Alfred Tennyson + Thomas Hardy

what about you? :biggrin:
I never used to revise but have started to since AS.
I read some stuff (textbook/web), then I say it out aloud to myself in a way I can understand it. Sometimes drawing stuff helps too? Say it out a few times till I get it. Usually do this part in a quiet place.
Also try making notes but I suck at that. Too much effort. I do a few past papers with some slow music in the back so I don't get bored.
Not the best techniques but it helps me.
I go on TSR and pretend they don't exist. That's my mindset at the moment.
Reply 19
Flash cards for me, works like a charm :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending