The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Maths at Hertford!
Reply 41
St John's- Classics
Any Fellow St John's offer-holders give me a buzz, trying to work out who from interviews got offers/is on TSR.

I should probably go to bed now.
Reply 42
The Scholar
I was relieved to be accepted, seeing as I did the admissions process last year and wasn't terribly successful (not just at Oxford). Thank you very much Seamus Perry, when my name is on the "famous Balliol alumni" page on Wikipedia you won't regret it. :wink:

Snap.

And lmao, I hope the same applies to me, but for SEH.

EDIT: You do realise we (or at least I) are/am not being entirely serious?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 43
Modern Languages at Exeter College - French and German

Anyone else have offers from Exeter?
Original post by cob007
Modern Languages at Exeter College - French and German

Anyone else have offers from Exeter?

Yep! Did you stay there for interviews? If so, what's it like? I only saw it briefly when I was there to be interviewed (I was staying at a different college)
Yay! A new thread! Mertonian classicist over here.
Okay, so I have just received an offer from Oxford (St John's) for Chemistry starting next year. So far so good. The (potential) problem is the conditions, which are as follows:

Offer conditional upon receipt by the College of either original examination certificates or legally certified copies of Fullstandigt Slutbetyg fran Gymnasieskolan qualifications by 1st March 2011.

Thus they want my certificate by March 1st, but I won't have my last grades before June...
To give you some background: In Sweden we read three years of Upper Secondary, and during those years we are continually given grades in finished courses (often in the end of each year). These grades are all part of our final certificate. As of now, I have received between 2/3 and 3/4 of my grades. Is it possible that they are content with that? (What might influence this is that I have all MVGs right now, meaning I will fulfill their standard offer of "...MVG in the majority of subjects" no matter what my last grades are.)

I would love the opinion of those more experienced with Oxford conditions than I am. :smile:
Original post by Abstractineum
Okay, so I have just received an offer from Oxford (St John's) for Chemistry starting next year. So far so good. The (potential) problem is the conditions, which are as follows:

Offer conditional upon receipt by the College of either original examination certificates or legally certified copies of Fullstandigt Slutbetyg fran Gymnasieskolan qualifications by 1st March 2011.

Thus they want my certificate by March 1st, but I won't have my last grades before June...
To give you some background: In Sweden we read three years of Upper Secondary, and during those years we are continually given grades in finished courses (often in the end of each year). These grades are all part of our final certificate. As of now, I have received between 2/3 and 3/4 of my grades. Is it possible that they are content with that? (What might influence this is that I have all MVGs right now, meaning I will fulfill their standard offer of "...MVG in the majority of subjects" no matter what my last grades are.)

I would love the opinion of those more experienced with Oxford conditions than I am. :smile:

Oh Goodness, that sounds complicated. I would email the college immediately and explain, asking for further clarification :smile:
Reply 48
Just call them and tell them you don't finish til June. They probably just misunderstood how the exam works.
Reply 49
Oh, it took me a day to notice this thread. :biggrin:

Human Sciences at St Hugh's!
Probably should, just afraid they say something like "Oh, sorry. Didn't you get the part that said you'll have to get MVG in all subjects and a score of 9 in IELTS?"...
Law at St. Peter's :smile:
There's no need to worry -- they've already said they'll accept you! Just talk to them and ask for clarification, telling them you won't have the results by then. It's probably just a simple mistake.
Reply 53
PPE at Corpus Christi, unconditional:biggrin:

Still feels surreal... Isn't it surprising how long the excitement lasts?
They have made you an offer, so they won't change its basic terms. They have simply made a mistake with when the results are due - given Oxford does not get many students through your system, they are not too familiar with it.

Bear in mind that the college has now committed a place to you; they've already made the decision that they want you. The "conditions" in your offer are ones they expect that you should get - they are not intended as a filter.

So don't worry! Just email the admissions office at the college with the information about the exam dates. They will sort it out with you.

:sheep:
I have come under a bit of a dilemma :frown: Just for some background information, not to bore though :biggrin: I went for interview 2 weeks ago to St. Anne's which is the college I applied to. I applied for Chemistry. Anyway turns out They sent half of the chem students home and asked half to stay for further interviews at different colleges. I was amongst those who got sent home, so I had only been interviewed at St. Annes college.

After much anxious waiting I finally received my mail through the post, A conditional offer from St. Annes to read chemistry wanting AAA and A in maths and chemistry.
I also got a letter from Lady Margaret Hall however, With the same offer, but asking for A in maths, chemistry and physics.

Is this some major cock up? Is it heard of to get offers from 2 colleges? I mean i wasn't even interviewed at lady Margaret hall! I've never seen it! Should I be worried both of the offers are actually an administration problem?
GAH!
Thanks in advance TSR :biggrin:
You should probably call the university :p:
Reply 57
No, I don't think is possible. Your first choice college has 'first refusal', if they don't want you they open it up to your second college etc. (as far as I know). So it looks like some error was made somewhere, if your first choice college gave you an offer, you shouldn't have received a subsequent one.
Original post by Ice_Queen
You should probably call the university :p:

Their offices are closed and its driving me CARAZYYY
Reply 59
That's incredibly strange, but I think you should just send St Annes an email and they'll sort it out. Even if it was an admin error they'd still let you in now (has happened) so just relax, get the grades and be awesome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending