The Student Room Group

Should stem cell research be banned?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jonathan3909
Absolutely YES!Tell man that there are limits to everything\!!

Yeah maybe we should heal illness with prayer instead, after all that's been proven to be so effective!
Reply 21
No.

No need to worry though, it's only fundamentalist idiots who say otherwise - and they're not taken seriously.
Reply 22

Absolutely YES!Tell man that there are limits to everything\!!

Are you claiming that on a reasoned basis or are making an unfounded, unreasoned and simply biased dogmatic opinion from your religion? I would argue the latter.

I assume your thinking we will start growing humans and making cow-people hybrids, which is ridiculous. We are merely trying to cure crippling diseases such as Parkinson's disease and increase people's quality of life and happiness.

However this is not to say I agree with the use and then abandonment of embryo's, there are obvious moral issues which must be looked at regarding stem cells.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Srxjer
No.

No need to worry though, it's only fundamentalist idiots who say otherwise - and they're not taken seriously.

You mean like George Bush :frown:
Stem cells are amazing that they can be turned in to almost anything This is especially great, when there aren't many donors in the country.

The only argument against it would be an argument similar for arguments against cloning ie: superior body parts may be made for soldiers and the like, so stem cells would lead to more killings in war(I don't know if that's possible before any one slates me. I haven't researched much about it)

The pros far, far outweigh the cons involved. It is also in it's infancy. I'm all for stem cell research, if it is restricted to just being used in the health sector but not if the army used it. Stem cell research is in it's infancy, and it truly is fascinating

I wish I was studying "medicine through time" again, as this would be a fantastic point to show in an assignment. It's nice to see that most people are opposing this ban. It would truly be a step back in the world.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Saichu

Original post by Saichu

George bush is missing a few buttons from the jar :yep:
Reply 26
Original post by Saichu

Bush never banned embryonic stem cells, he limited funding for them rejected bills to increase the funding and the number of them available ;p
Reply 27
Original post by HarryA
Bush never banned embryonic stem cells, he limited funding for them rejected bills to increase the funding and the number of them available ;p

True, I think this was one of those examples listed in that article on common misconceptions, darnit.

Still, I suppose it would not be a stretch to say that Bush has significantly set back stem cell research in the USA.
I think the tards that are against it think that theres only foetal stem cells. I don't get their logic anyway.

Brb, restricting science is the best way for humanity to progress.
Reply 29
Original post by KayK
Perhaps. I'll remind you of this thread in 10 years then :wink:

Ohhh the banter!

It made me laugh, thanks :biggrin:
Embryonic stem cell research needs to be banned for the sake of consistency-unless you are a utilitarian. The only argument for it was the 'enormous potential of embryonic stem cells to cure diseases and these pros outweighing the con of 'killing' (yeah, I said it) the embryo. This argument has been made impotent by the production of induced pluripotent stem cells through de-differentiation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_pluripotent_stem_cell.

I have not voted on the poll
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Tell me a good reason it should be banned then? (religious fanatic may not reply)
ofcourse not
Also, religion is not necessarily against embryo/stem cell research. The Islamic perspective is that if it leads to medical advances, cures, innovation in agriculture etc... then it's seen as a good thing. Though if it is used in the army, to make superior soldiers etc.. it would be frowned upon for those purposes. Of course, there's nothing wrong in healing soldiers, but if countries make super army's it becomes a problem
Reply 34
Original post by de_monies
Also, religion is not necessarily against embryo/stem cell research. The Islamic perspective is that if it leads to medical advances, cures, innovation in agriculture etc... then it's seen as a good thing. Though if it is used in the army, to make superior soldiers etc.. it would be frowned upon for those purposes. Of course, there's nothing wrong in healing soldiers, but if countries make super army's it becomes a problem

Can you source that this is indeed the Islamic perspective?
Reply 35
Original post by blueblood18

Original post by blueblood18
Embryonic stem cell research needs to be banned for the sake of consistency-unless you are a utilitarian. The only argument for it was the 'enormous potential of embryonic stem cells to cure diseases and these pros outweighing the con of 'killing' (yeah, I said it) the embryo. This argument has been made impotent by the production of induced pluripotent stem cells through de-differentiation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_pluripotent_stem_cell.

I have not voted on the poll

I think you present a valid and very important point. The killing of embryos I am firmly against and so if the issue of stem cells is brought up, I tend not to really side with it, however one cannot ignore the huge potential it has. If they can induce pluripotent cells to form then I think this crucial issue of morality can be avoided. If this is the future for stem cell research then I am for it, however if the hopes for stem cell research are founded upon fertilising, creating a living embryo then destroying it, then it is not something I deem morally permissible.

I am with you on the not voting.

de_monies

Sorry what? That is not Islamic. You do realise stem cell research employs the use of embryo's which in Islam is not permitted? (I think). Furthermore, why would Islam be against super soldiers? Does Islam not speak of having an army and fighting being a part of the call for Muslims?
As Saichu said, please source your claims.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by HarryA
Erm. Seriously, just stop talking unless you do a ton of research. There are several different types of stem cells, the main two being adult stem cells and embryonic stem cells. Adult stem cells come from organs, while embryonic stem cells (usually) come from embryos which are donated from IVF clinics who no longer require the embryo.

That is the major difference, the major moral difference is here. By extracting embryonic stems cells from an embryo, the embryo is destroyed. Adult stem cells have been used for years and there is no moral issue. The only issue is with embryonic stem cells: opponents of argue that all embryos can become a human, ergo it's morally wrong to experiment on them.

Adult stem cells have cured quite a few problems with people over years of research. Embryonic stem cells have not been fully tested on humans because there is concern about the cells causing cancer and other diseases to the host. The Californian research company, Geron Corporation, is the first to do a clinical test on humans (spinal cord injury patients) after a relatively successful test on rats and approval by the US Food and Drug Administration.

Why don't we just use adult stems cells (because embryos aren't destroyed and everyone is happy)? Well, they are multipotent - they can only change into a limited number of cells. Embryonic stem cells are pluripotent - they have the potential to become an unlimited number of cells.

I suggest you research embryonic stem cells, the embryo that it comes from, what happens and what would have happened to that embryo had it not been used for research.

The argument that by taking embryonic stem cells you're destroying the potential for life is ridiculous cos you could argue that every time someone decides to have sex with a condom they're also destroying the potential for life because every one of those sperms could potentially be an adult.
Original post by Saichu
Can you source that this is indeed the Islamic perspective?

http://www.pfaith.org/islam.htm

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503545118

Also, my RE lessons at GCSE, but I can't find the textbooks
(edited 13 years ago)
ban embryonic use, or do not penalize me for murder. either way
Reply 39

Your first source seems to contradict Islamic views on abortion [1] [2] [3]; the author herself acknowledges that, by her reasoning, abortion ought to be permitted up to 4 months. The second source answers this,
IslamOnline
the remaining embryos would have either been frozen indefinitely or destroyed. If these embryos were treated as full human, it would have been forbidden to produce them in excess and to destroy them later. No one treats them as humans. Destroying such embryos is not called and cannot be called abortion. We disagree with the Catholic position that this is “equivalent to infanticide”.
but in a perplexing way: you're not allowed to abort said embryo if it were in the mother's womb, but you are apparently allowed to kill it if it was frozen and not intended to be implanted. One could even suggest this was some kind of contradiction.

IslamOnline
Our answer is that the embryo in this stage is not human. It is not in its natural environment, the womb. If it is not placed in the womb it will not survive and it will not become a human being.
Seems weird that things could be considered human or not, depending on where they reside.

However, thank you for your sources.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending