The Student Room Group

Giving blood - your views

Scroll to see replies

Echoing a lot of other people - I'd love to give blood but I can't.

I wouldn't have any problems receiving it at all, although the idea of having someone else's blood flowing in your body makes me feel a bit odd.
I'm not 17 so I can't give blood yet. My mum does it a lot.
I'd personally give it (although my mom doesn't really agree with it so that's one thing that would put me off) but i really hope i never get into the situation where i have to receive it. i don't like the thought of someone else's blood in me :s-smilie:
ya im fine with it :smile: id give my blood no bother ! i would accept a blood transfusion because i hope if i ever need one there is my blood type, and i would know that my blood would have helped someone in need :smile:

..... in my experience i have had a doctor take blood from me and she didnt know what she was doin she pulled it so it was kinda tugging my vein and then she let it hang there and drip out for ages and she was smacking my arm saying i have no veins. not because she was a women or her race but i think as a doctor she was useless and should get a new profession

but thats funny cause all the other times i had blood taken it would come out like a fountain no bother at all.... so aslong as they know what they are doin no prob at all :biggrin:

im a organ donor aswell :biggrin:
Reply 184
I'd love to give blood, but because I'm diabetic and have a chronic insulin need, I can't donate. :frown:
Reply 185
Original post by BellaBoo
I'd personally give it (although my mom doesn't really agree with it so that's one thing that would put me off) but i really hope i never get into the situation where i have to receive it. i don't like the thought of someone else's blood in me :s-smilie:

Blood cells only live for like 3 months, so it'd be gone after a while.
Reply 186

Why doesn't she agree with it?
Too young and I've had a low iron count most of my life.
Original post by Muffinz
Blood cells only live for like 3 months, so it'd be gone after a while.

Really? You're not allowed to donate if you've received blood any time since 1980, is that them just being ultra-cautious?

You are correct when you talk with respect to the UK, but where I live its another matter :wink:

So you'd rather die than receive a life saving transfusion ?

And why doesnt your mother agree ?
Original post by BritishRose
Too young and I've had a low iron count most of my life.

Yeah loads of people have too low iron and cant donate
thats the law so not much you can do about it unless you build up ure iron levels
:rolleyes:
I'm giving blood this afternoon!!! Have given blood since I was 17 and able to do so - I really don't understand why more people don't give. It hardly takes any time at all and it's not painful or even uncomfortable. And credit where credit is due - the nurses are always lovely and friendly.

I'd be REALLY upset if I developed a medical condition where I could no longer give blood. My Dad's given blood for years and years and I plan to too (as do my three brothers!). Unfortunately, my Mum had a blood transfusion when she was giving birth to my brother so she can't - but she loves that we all do!
Reply 193
Original post by Cybele
How can anyone justify not giving blood if they're healthy enough to do so? :dontknow:

You can justify everything...
Original post by KaramelRose
I'm giving blood this afternoon!!! Have given blood since I was 17 and able to do so - I really don't understand why more people don't give. It hardly takes any time at all and it's not painful or even uncomfortable. And credit where credit is due - the nurses are always lovely and friendly.

I'd be REALLY upset if I developed a medical condition where I could no longer give blood. My Dad's given blood for years and years and I plan to too (as do my three brothers!). Unfortunately, my Mum had a blood transfusion when she was giving birth to my brother so she can't - but she loves that we all do!

Thats great to hear! :rolleyes:
I'd love to give blood, but they stop you if you've ever had sex with a bloke who's had sex with another bloke, even if you used condoms.

It's bloody stupid.
Original post by psychocustard
I'd love to give blood, but they stop you if you've ever had sex with a bloke who's had sex with another bloke, even if you used condoms.

It's bloody stupid.

Only for 12 months. The bloke who had sex with the other bloke (and the other bloke of course) can never give it but you can after a year.
Original post by fretter778
Only for 12 months. The bloke who had sex with the other bloke (and the other bloke of course) can never give it but you can after a year.

Really? I thought it was a blanket ban, but that's quite good to hear :smile:
Original post by psychocustard
Really? I thought it was a blanket ban, but that's quite good to hear :smile:

Yep. In the last section here https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp
Reply 199
I dont seek out oppertunities to give blood but im more than willing to do so, would be willing to take blood, and am going to donate my organs once dead

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending