The Student Room Group

Are all Russell group universities well thought of?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Pretty much or else they wouldn't be in the russel group. However it also does not mean that if a university is not in the russel group that it is therefore intrinsically a bad university. I think only one of the uni's I've applied to is in the russell group. However I think the rest bar one are 1994 group unis.
If I remember correctly, my dad (a university careers advisor) told me that the Russell group was formed in the mid 1990's at a place called Russell square/street in the U.K somewhere. They created the group to get recognition so oxbridge was not the only well known set of good unis. 11 years (near 12) have passed since this moment and obviously things have changed. As you say York and Durham are not involved becuase perhaps 10 years ago they were not as good as they are now. While uni's such as liverpool (no disrespect) which used to be better than they are today. :biggrin:
Original post by dnumberwang
The Sown Rose posts in a thread on university reputations, wow what has the world come to.

I've never denied some unis have better reputations than others, just that not all reputations (good or bad) are deserved. :wink:
Original post by Magicalbluebadger
If I remember correctly, my dad (a university careers advisor) told me that the Russell group was formed in the mid 1990's at a place called Russell square/street in the U.K somewhere. They created the group to get recognition so oxbridge was not the only well known set of good unis. 11 years (near 12) have passed since this moment and obviously things have changed. As you say York and Durham are not involved becuase perhaps 10 years ago they were not as good as they are now. While uni's such as liverpool (no disrespect) which used to be better than they are today. :biggrin:

No, the Russell Group has nothing to do with a university's perceived quality amongst TSR users. I have no idea why you would suggest that Liverpool used to be better than it is today. The Russell Group is a group of 20 of the most research intensive universities. 18 out of 20 of them are in the top 20 in terms of research funding, and the Russell Group as a whole receives two thirds of all research funding.

York and Durham are not involved because they do not receive the most amount of research funding. Having a medical school hugely helps in terms of getting research funding and you'll notice that most Russell Group universities have medical schools.

Also, you can't count either. 1994 was more than 11/12 years ago.
Reply 24
Original post by NothingCrushesUs
Durham isn't either?! What is this nonsense?!

Because it isn't as large as a Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh or Leeds.

Warwick and LSE weren't in the Russell Group until fairly recently either.

Original post by Magicalbluebadger

Durham is no better or worse than it was 16 years ago (and neither is Liverpool). The reason why it is not part of the Russell Group is down to size and research income (although its research income is still as larger/larger than some Russell Group universities).

It is part of the 1994 Group, a group of smaller research intensive universities created in response to the Russell Group.
Original post by NothingCrushesUs
Such as?

Check 1994 group, you'll be suprised
Original post by SPMS
More so than Durham?

I'd forgotten about Durham - they're obviously a large omission as well.
Reply 27
Original post by The_Libertarian

They aren't "omissions". There is a reason why these universities weren't founding memberse of the Russell Group or have been invited to join since its creation.
Original post by River85
They aren't "omissions". There is a reason why these universities weren't founding memberse of the Russell Group or have been invited to join since its creation.

Omissions in the sense that the RG is representative of the best universities in the country, which is what the OP is implying.
Reply 29
I've studied in universities from both the Russell Group and 1994. In the university from the 1994 Group the teaching quality and the enthusiasm of the lecturers for their teaching subject was far superior to the Russell group university.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by The_Libertarian

Yes, I've always been surprised that Durham isn't in it but a university like Cardiff is. :confused:
Original post by T. Hereford
Yes, I've always been surprised that Durham isn't in it but a university like Cardiff is. :confused:

Then you know not about what the Russell Group is.
Original post by Xhotas
For Undergraduate it's not really a huge deal, but for post-grad you're looking at more research budget n such.

I'd focus on league tables for undergraduate and where you feel most "at home." like I've heard so many people say, you'll "know" which university you go to when you go to open days.

This is interesting - why would you focus on league tables, given their use of old data, irrelevant information and subjective weightings?
Reply 33
Original post by DarkWhite
This is interesting - why would you focus on league tables, given their use of old data, irrelevant information and subjective weightings?

I based some of my choices on league tables that'd fit my requirements, their updated on a yearly basis and their fairly accurate surely? I'm not sure what else to go by considering unless it's Oxbridge or UCL, Imperial etc. I'd have no idea what to look for in a university personally. It's only really from looking on this forum that I've noticed how badly some students put on reputation and such.
Yes, they're well thought of but as others pointed out, not included unis like York are still just as good, but without the recognition.
Reply 35
Original post by T. Hereford

Then you're obviously ignorant of what the Russell Group is.

Have you even read this thread?
Reply 36
Depends on how you look at it. If you wanted to do Business you would be better looking at University Alliance. But generally the universities in the Russell Group are well perceived and as said previously in the thread there are universities that aren't in the Russell Group but are just as good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending