The Student Room Group

Incompetent store - includes my email to customer relations

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TheSownRose
General tips: send it in letter form and don't include an e-mail address, because then they have to write back to you and you stand more chance of getting something from them. Never make it seem as if you're not going to return there anyway, but make it clear that you're unsure because then they're more likely to give you vouchers in order to persuade you. And always, always, always stress and exaggerate how unhappy you are with your experience, so something like this:

EDIT: Oh, I've seen you actually have a name - put that in instead of a description, so "... I requested that Jane Doe, who was working on the till, split payment..."

I would put something along the lines of "I've been a customer of x for nearly ten years and I have never, ever been treated with this much disrespect." They don't want to lose a customer bringing in lots of cash.
Original post by M1F2R3
I would put something along the lines of "I've been a customer of x for nearly ten years and I have never, ever been treated with this much disrespect." They don't want to lose a customer bringing in lots of cash.

That's also a good thing to do - there are elements of it in my draft, but definitely stress this as well. But still, always leave your position as having had your confidence in that shop shaken and wary over returning again, not, "I wouldn't come back if you paid me!" because, if you say that, they already think you're a lost cause and make no effort, whereas they will to keep a customer and stop them from passing around bad experiences (word of mouth is a powerful tool... :wink:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by lesbionic
I'm glad people on here understand. I will name and shame the shop in question -

it's GAP

I hope it doesn't look like I invented all the facts - the sequence of events is quite complicated to be invented - I hope they do something. See, I sent the letter t customer relations - should I send a copy to the store itself and name and shame the girl? I'm just a bit worried about doing that, because while I am still fuming, I don't think she deserves to lose her job over it. I am more concerned with my own loss.

She won't lose her job, but she would get a telling off and maybe a warning. Write to them.

What she should have done was taken the cash payment first. That way, only the correct amount is deducted from the card, as calculated by the till. This is how we do it at work.
Reply 23
That's also a good thing to do - there are elements of it in my draft, but definitely stress this as well. But still, always leave your position as having had your confidence in that shop shaken and wary over returning again, not, "I wouldn't come back if you paid me!" because, if you say that, they already think you're a lost cause and make no effort, whereas they will to keep a customer and stop them from passing around bad experiences (word of mouth is a powerful tool... :wink:)

Couldn't agree more :sexface:
Reply 24
Was probably an xmas temp who hadn't been trained properly =/
Hard luck, OP.

If this happened to me, I would be just as mad.
Reply 26
General tips: send it in letter form and don't include an e-mail address, because then they have to write back to you and you stand more chance of getting something from them. Never make it seem as if you're not going to return there anyway, but make it clear that you're unsure because then they're more likely to give you vouchers in order to persuade you. And always, always, always stress and exaggerate how unhappy you are with your experience, so something like this:

Spoiler

Seriously, I've used pretty much this format (it could perhaps do with being shorter, but at the same time you need to describe what happened) and got companies to actually give me money back for things that were my fault, so I know it does work.

Good luck. :smile:

EDIT: Oh, I've seen you actually have a name - put that in instead of a description, so "... I requested that Jane Doe, who was working on the till, split payment..."

And I'd always start with sending it to the actual shop, then higher up in the company is nothing is done, or it is not resolved to your satisfaction.

Thank you so much, it's perfect! I've used your template and I'm posting it tomorrow!! I also included my receipts!
Thank you so much, it's perfect! I've used your template and I'm posting it tomorrow!! I also included my receipts!

You're welcome. :smile: Hope it works out to your satisfaction - that really is no way for any shop to behave.
Reply 28
You're welcome. :smile: Hope it works out to your satisfaction - that really is no way for any shop to behave.

Have you sent in similar letters before? What happened? Did the store manager personally reply?
Have you sent in similar letters before? What happened? Did the store manager personally reply?

I have, yes - generally, they work out quite well, the key is sounding confident in what you're saying and (like I say) stressing how dismayed you are. Here's one that I sent quite recently, actually:

Spoiler

That was to a bus company, and got a reply from the manager to customer services, with assurances that the matter had been investigated, the driver retrained and, in order to apologise for the inconvenience, several complementary tickets.
Is it really worth getting that staff member fired because she made a completely valid mistake and was having a bad day in a very busy, stressful (clearance, I assume) store? You didn't get some trousers! I'm sure it was world-destroying, and worth possibly ruining someone's life for!

*sticks up for my retail mandem*
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by AskMeAnything
Is it really worth getting that staff member fired because she made a completely valid mistake and was having a bad day in a very busy, stressful (clearance, I assume) store? You didn't get some trousers! I'm sure it was world-destroying, and worth possibly ruining someone's life for!

*sticks up for my retail mandem*

She won't get fired - she'll just get a telling off.
Reply 32

She'll get barely anything if you don't just talk to her immediate superior.

And you know this how?

Maybe she's got young kids to feed. Maybe she had another complaint on the same day that combined get her fired! Maybe that particular manager is trying to keep the complaints level down.

This is talking from a complete point of neutrality; I don't know if any of that stuff is true. But what I do know is that you not having some trousers and hunting for free gifts from a company at the expense of this woman who was having a bad day at her job during clearance, one of the most stressful times of the year for retail employees just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.
And you know this how?

Maybe she's got young kids to feed. Maybe she had another complaint on the same day that combined get her fired! Maybe that particular manager is trying to keep the complaints level down.

This is talking from a complete point of neutrality; I don't know if any of that stuff is true. But what I do know is that you not having some trousers and hunting for free gifts from a company at the expense of this woman who was having a bad day at her job during clearance, one of the most stressful times of the year for retail employees just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

Then maybe she'll learn.
Reply 35
Then maybe she'll learn.

You've never worked in retail then. It's easy to forget that there are humans on both sides of the counter. Funny how you hate people for being on the dole but you also hate people who work hard and have a bad day.
Original post by FXX
You've never worked in retail then. It's easy to forget that there are humans on both sides of the counter. Funny how you hate people for being on the dole but you also hate people who work hard and have a bad day.

I've never said I hate people for being on the dole. Nor do I hate them for working hard or having a bad day, but if steps aren't taken to correct that, then where are we?

And I have, actually.
Then maybe she'll learn.

Have you ever worked in retail? This is the first/second day of clearance - it's literally about the most horrible environment to work in. Every customer just wants discounted **** and they don't care about the staff one iota. Every stand is being torn to shreds. The ques at the till are half an hour and EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER complains.

Now we look at the OP's situation;

The staff member made a mistake about the part charging her card. from then on, how was the staff member to know that the OP had a crappy 'charge card' which she only had £50 on? She went ahead with the refund because the vast majority of card transactions in shops these days are instantaneous with the bank. Meanwhile, behind this woman the que is building to mammoth proportions and she says 'HAS MY CARD REALLY BEEN REJECTED?'. No I was lying to you, it hasn't at all... I think I would turn the screen around on her if I was stressed or tired.

Moving on from that, the staff member will learn? And the above is a good enough reason to end her employment, seriously? It's awfully hard to get a job these days, you're practically guaranteed no chance if you've been fired! Let's face it, OP is just hunting for some free **** from a company that she feels she 'deserves' at the possible expense of someone's livelihood.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 38
Have you ever worked in retail? This is the first/second day of clearance - it's literally about the most horrible environment to work in. Every customer just wants discounted **** and they don't care about the staff one iota. Every stand is being torn to shreds. The ques at the till are half an hour and EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER complains.

Now we look at the OP's situation;

The staff member made a mistake about the part charging her card. from then on, how was the staff member to know that the OP had a crappy 'charge card' which she only had £50 on? She went ahead with the refund because the vast majority of card transactions in shops these days are instantaneous with the bank. Meanwhile, behind this woman the que is building to mammoth proportions and she says 'HAS MY CARD REALLY BEEN REJECTED?'. No I was lying to you, it hasn't at all... I think I would turn the screen around on her if I was stressed or tired.

Moving on from that, the staff member will learn? And the above is a good enough reason to end her employment, seriously? It's awfully hard to get a job these days, you're practically guaranteed no chance if you've been fired! Let's face it, OP is just hunting for some free **** from a company that she feels she 'deserves' at the possible expense of someone's livelihood.

Oh go and get laid you silly cow. I bet you didn't even read my post. And stop going on about 'clearance' this and 'clearance' that - the purchases I intended to make were all full priced items.

Stop excusing bad service, it's unacceptable - the assistant must have been REALLY stupid (and I know there are some thick people working in clothes stores) to persistently NOT listen to my instructions.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
If you say you will never shop there again then it is not worth their while doing anything about it as it's too late for them to retain your custom. If you are hoping for some kind of compensation then you need them to think that you are prepared to give them another chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending