The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Miss Anonymous
hmm.. but both of them (OP and OxfordDestiny) are online at the same time...?

hmmm... more than one tab open at once on the internet maybe...?
Original post by Martin_PPE
Listen. The interviewer and me got on superbly, so whether or not I have a head up my arse or whatever you're saying is irrelevant. The interviewer said he will be contacting me and almost bowed his head at me ( a nod of acceptance ). Hopefully I'll hear back from my head of sixth form soon regarding the misleading conduct allegations anyway. I'll update this when I find out what has happened.

You are a troll, but I'll reply anyway pretending you aren't.

You're at a job interview. You believe it goes well. The interviewer smiles, nods his head as he talks to you, and says 'you'll hear from us soon'. There's good indications that you might have got the job, but he hasn't told you "you have got the job" so there's absolutely no legal right to give you that job.

If you had anywhere near the level of intelligence needed to get into Oxbridge you'd know this!
Reply 42
TSR is becoming infested with trolls.
Reply 43
And have you got any work experience, volunteering in? It's not all academics that count.
Reply 44
'Dis a joke?
Reply 45
he said 'you will be hearing from ME shortly' then firmly shook my hand and smiled. .

You did hear shortly afterwards.

He thought you were **** and rejected you, buddy.
Hello all, this is my first post here so I will try to be as concise as possible to ensure I do not overcomplicate matters.

My name is Martin, and after much deliberation I decided that Oxford would be the university best suited to my planned study of PPE (philosophy, politics and economics in case you didn't know). Naturally, my school supported this decision and the head of sixth form contacted the college to let them know of my intentions to apply (school policy to ensure high acceptance rate).

So the time came to apply and I filled in my UCAS (7A*'s at GCSE, A* A* A predicted grades. Would have been more but my revision suffered due to a skiing holiday, so i put this on the form). As expected I was invited to interview pretty quickly unlike some of my peers who did not even get interviewed.

The interview went swimmingly, the interviewer even dropped heavy hints that I would be chosen, so, naturally, we planned for me to live in oxford and I began studying all the major historical happenings and we even bought a romper suit with the oxford university logo embossed in the lapel (straying off topic here).

I logged into UCAS on the 24th to find an 'unsuccessful' stamp on my application to oxford. Reeling with shock I immediately telephoned the college to have my say but I was told no-one would be there to answer my calls until after christmas, which, i'm sure you'll agree, is outrageous. The verbal contract me and the interviewer held has been shattered and i'm beginning to think oxbridge in general is as rubbish as people say. I wasn't sure I wanted to go there in the first place and having put trust in a university which has a reputation for apparently being 'the best' (...) but being turned down is ludicrous.

Could someone please explain why I might have been rejected considering the interviewer guaranteed me that I would be accepted (firm handshake, smiling etc)? I have spoken to my head of sixth form already and he has written a letter of complaint to the college that they have acted with misleading conduct. He said there's a chance I might get in if we prove that I have been misled. As it stands at the moment I have to hear back from York and I have an offer from LSE but both of these are subpar for the course I want to study so I feel lost and confused.

Thanks alot,

Martin

An interviewer "dropping hints" is not a confirmation that you got in.
It's bizarre that people should be rejected when they literally are the epiphany of perfect. I am the same, apart from the blemish in my GCSE record and my poor performance in my Economics AS (79%) and they have the gall, the cheek, to reject me. Who could possibly be better? You can't be telling me that Oxford receives 4,500 perfect applications? It's absolutely barmy. Someone should do an expose (maybe the daily mail perhaps?)

troll.
Ha Ha, very funny. I would have drawn this conclusion myself if it wasn't for the fact that the interviewer made me feel as though I was part of the family. We had a laugh about current affairs and he said 'you will be hearing from ME shortly' then firmly shook my hand and smiled. This (according to my head of sixth form who did an MA at Cambridge) is a sure sign of acceptance. As you can imagine, my head is swimming with folklore and i'm not sure what to believe.

And you did. :wink:
Reply 49
Original post by Tabers
And have you got any work experience, volunteering in? It's not all academics that count.

Oxford don't care about this much.

OP was just a pompous ass.
Reply 50
Original post by AskMeAnything
You are a troll, but I'll reply anyway pretending you aren't.

You're at a job interview. You believe it goes well. The interviewer smiles, nods his head as he talks to you, and says 'you'll hear from us soon'. There's good indications that you might have got the job, but he hasn't told you "you have got the job" so there's absolutely no legal right to give you that job.

If you had anywhere near the level of intelligence needed to get into Oxbridge you'd know this!

What the bloody hell is up with everyone saying I am a troll???

Good indications = positive correlation that you are going to be accepted. Along with my almost perfect academic reference, my argument is that there is NO CAUSE to be rejected. If the interview had gone perishingly bad then I would understand, but as my entire application went as smooth as possible, what cause do they have to reject a perfect student?
Reply 51
Good job Oxford, good job.
Original post by oxford_destiny

Too true, it's all well and good for Oxford to accept lesser students (The AAA-AABs of the world) but turning down clearly more dispositioned students in favour of morons is political correctness gone mad, Well done Cameron for screwing the unis up, for Pete's sake its not like I even wanted Oxford to accept me its just the sheer injustice here which I protest at, not my personal feelings.

Haha, you're bitterness tastes good, I applied with ABB last year and got accepted and am now doing my first year of PPE at Magdalen. They dont just look at your results ou know they look at the srt of person you are, and I was the captain of my schools rugby team which rendered my application superior to yours as it showed i am a natural born leader. I also completed ten tors which is as good as an extra AS in most oxford college's eyes.

Get over your grades and learnt taht oxford want people with life skillls more than a stars...
Reply 53
What the bloody hell is up with everyone saying I am a troll???

Good indications = positive correlation that you are going to be accepted. Along with my almost perfect academic reference, my argument is that there is NO CAUSE to be rejected. If the interview had gone perishingly bad then I would understand, but as my entire application went as smooth as possible, what cause do they have to reject a perfect student?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/myStories.html
So the time came to apply and I filled in my UCAS (7A*'s at GCSE, A* A* A predicted grades. Would have been more but my revision suffered due to a skiing holiday, so i put this on the form).

not going to lie. I laughed out loud.
To the contrary, I am the top student in one of the top grammar schools in the country (Head boy and all the trimmings), I am, by all measurements, the perfect candidate, and yet they declined. Also, please do not question my intelligence, I have too much integrity to get into a petty squabble with an underachieving buffoon of your standard.

Hey buffoon...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29082113&stat_userid=457181&stat_usergroupid=12&stat_membergroupids=&stat_widgettype=gutter&stat_widgetname=widget_quoted_me

want one of my offers? ;D

p.s trollwutt
what's with all the new members @rugbylad :lolwut:
Reply 57
Original post by Rugbylad_1992
Haha, you're bitterness tastes good, I applied with ABB last year and got accepted and am now doing my first year of PPE at Magdalen. They dont just look at your results ou know they look at the srt of person you are, and I was the captain of my schools rugby team which rendered my application superior to yours as it showed i am a natural born leader. I also completed ten tors which is as good as an extra AS in most oxford college's eyes.

Get over your grades and learnt taht oxford want people with life skillls more than a stars...

Lord. It's troll after troll.
Ha Ha, very funny. I would have drawn this conclusion myself if it wasn't for the fact that the interviewer made me feel as though I was part of the family. We had a laugh about current affairs and he said 'you will be hearing from ME shortly' then firmly shook my hand and smiled. This (according to my head of sixth form who did an MA at Cambridge) is a sure sign of acceptance. As you can imagine, my head is swimming with folklore and i'm not sure what to believe.

I swear interviewers have to discuss which candidates to take in, no?
Post pics of your UCAS track, NAO.

Latest

Trending

Trending