The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
when i worked full time on my gap year and lived at home i paid £100 a month. it included everything, so i think i was getting an absolute bargain of a deal. i know they wouldn't have taken it if they didnt need it, so i didn't mind at all. :smile: all my friends pay rent, i'm surprised people dont!
i don't because my parents aren't stingy

it's very much a culture thing though, i've only seen this with british/western families

To me it makes no logical sense......

Were they going to rent out that room anyway? probably not
Would their bills be any higher? marginally - the heating would be the same, the water would be the same if it's not metered, the only difference is electricity
Would food bills be any higher? only marginally

yet some people's parents are demanding 280? **** me..... personally i'd tell my parents to **** off and find another cheap source of income if they were so desperate for money. Just seems like a cheap shot to me....
(edited 13 years ago)
it's not about being selfish and not paying..they won't accept or ever bring up the situation..
it's not even about your financial problems..or how much you earn.
They're my parents NOT my friend.
I've never even considered this until seeing this thread.
i asked my mum who is in no way rich and she said "our relationship isn't built on money"
I don't know what to say..maybe it's better the other way,paying rent.you learn independence i guess.
(edited 13 years ago)
I haven't had to pay rent yet, but I know my parents will expect something if I live here and am working full time - I'm a student atm - and if I'm unemployed I'll have to prove to them I', doing everything possible to find a job. It'd depdn how much I'm earning, but I'd guess between £100-£200 a month. Seems about fair.
Reply 24
I'm 19, resitting A Levels and have a part time job. I don't pay anything but my Mum said if anything, she'd said £40 a week. Frank that!
Original post by SergioMZ
Once I suggested to my parents paying them a small rent during summers when I'm living out at uni, as I will probably be working.
They were outraged by the idea.

Even if I wanted to, I don't think I'd be able to pay rent to my parents. They simply won't accept any money coming from me.

look at neg rep i'm getting for saying the same thing as you..
it's the same with me..after seeing this thread i asked my mum how much she'd want from me..she didn't even discuss it she just closed the subject .
Pay them? They pay me for the pleasure of my company! £300 a month.

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Nothing!
They pay me.

with love :biggrin:
Original post by Smiling...Rain
Nothing!
They pay me.

with love :biggrin:

this.
Original post by TheSownRose
Pay them? They pay me for the pleasure of my company! £300 a month.

Spoiler

same..i plan to contribute by doing shopping for the house with money i get froma aprttime job..
but Rent or anything they won't allow..
Original post by RIISE
I'm living in halls at the moment but have decided next year to move back to my parents. I've heard £200 a month is about right but i'd like to know what others pay.

do not suggest to pay that amount unless they ask you.just don't.
£50 at the most..if they REALLY insist then £100
don't compromise to anything more/
Reply 31
Original post by Menakshelatte
YOU PAY RENT YO YOUR PARENTS??
what has the world come to...

neg rep me all you want..i asked my mum if she would take rent from me she looked at me as if i was crazy..
maybe it's different with asian families..
all of who is neg repping me have stingy parents.

It's very different for Asian and White families... generally Asian parents would never take any money from their children if they are still in education.

My parents would never take any money from me as well......at least not on the pretext of charging rent when I'm living under their roof..... but it also means their home their rules applies. However when I started working and lived with them, I did make a contribution to the household budget, mostly by virtue of paying the entire power bill.
Reply 32
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
i don't because my parents aren't stingy

Or your parents aren't bothered about teaching you the value of money. Depends how you look at it.

Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

To me it makes no logical sense......

Were they going to rent out that room anyway? probably not
Would their bills be any higher? marginally - the heating would be the same, the water would be the same if it's not metered, the only difference is electricity
Would food bills be any higher? only marginally

yet some people's parents are demanding 280? **** me..... personally i'd tell my parents to **** off and find another cheap source of income if they were so desperate for money. Just seems like a cheap shot to me....

I would never tell my parents to **** off. I have some respect.

£280 a month is nothing compared to all the money they've spent on their children over the years. Adult children have their own sources of income and should contribute to the household- obviously different families will have different ways of organising this, it doesn't have to be financially although usually money will be a part of it. You sound like a complete spoiled brat.
(edited 13 years ago)
My older sister who has just graduated may have to move back home.

My parents said they would never charge rent as long as they could afford things on there own. The most they would ask for is maybe that she picks up the groceries every now and then and that's only because they want her to be responsible.

She's moving back in so that she can save up for her own place.

Saying that I come from a reasonably wealthy family and I see nothing wrong with parents who would struggle alone to not ask for a little bit of help.
Original post by Jenii
Or your parents aren't bothered about teaching you the value of money. Depends how you look at it.

value of money? these guys parent's aren't teaching them the value of money. How on earth can you find a place for 280pcm? You're looking at more like 400 500pcm. Then you've got bills, add on another 100 or 200 quid. Then you've got food, add on another 100 200. So taking the extremes, that's 900 quid. If it was about teaching you the value of money, why don't they charge their children the full whack? In fact some rent might even be greater if theyre living in a nice area in a 4 bed detached house.....

also if it's about sharing the costs, they already own the house.... and if they've got a mortgage, why the **** have they taken out a mortgage that they can't afford?

seems like a half hearted argument all in the name of gaining some cheap money

if it really was about teaching them the value of money, they'd charge them realistic amounts of money, not some imaginary number they've plucked from the sky all for their financial gain and enjoyment on the back of some bull **** reasoning

If teaching them the value of money is the idea of paying rent, then they're really skewing this value of money aren't they?

Original post by Jenii

I would never tell my parents to **** off. I have some respect.

£280 a month is nothing compared to all the money they've spent on their children over the years. Adult children have their own sources of income and should contribute to the household- obviously different families will have different ways of organising this, it doesn't have to be financially although usually money will be a part of it. You sound like a complete spoiled brat.

Figure of speech my friend.

if 280 is nothing, then why ask for it? if they can't afford to have children, don't ****ing have any

call me a spoilt brat if you want but if i have children in the future, i won't treat them as another source of income

talk about a cheap shot.....

but as i said, it's very much a culture thing. I've only seen white families do this and never heard of any asian families doing this so maybe that's why i don't understand it.....
(edited 13 years ago)
I think while you are at school it seems odd to pay rent to your parents. Once you are a student however or working I think it's fair to expect to pay.

There is perhaps a cultural divide here...my old boss is asian, she's nearly 25 and not only does she still live at home, her parents won't LET her move out! Until she gets married. She was allowed to live out for 1st year at uni then her parents made her move back home. So there's no way she's paying them rent.
Reply 36
£200 a month, Im in my gap year and working at least 35 hours a week though so I can afford it currently.
Reply 37
Ok so I got negged for some reason. But don't forget once you go to University your parents lose the child benefit money so don't you see it as fair to make that up again? Besides it is a "Maintenance Loan/Grant", not a getting pissed fund.
My parents have never wanted any rent from me, it's just plain wrong.
Original post by Iorek
It's very different for Asian and White families... generally Asian parents would never take any money from their children if they are still in education.

My parents would never take any money from me as well......at least not on the pretext of charging rent when I'm living under their roof..... but it also means their home their rules applies. However when I started working and lived with them, I did make a contribution to the household budget, mostly by virtue of paying the entire power bill.

yh of course. i agree with what your saying.
My mum woudn't request for me to contribute for anything but if i really wanted to she woudn't mind me food shopping for the house..

ofcourse that's the thing with living parents..their rules..
but i don't think that people who pay rent to their parents get much freedom either..
They pay money AND get controlled..they can't rave about like they'd normally do or get high or i dunno have sez in front of them..
personally i'd live in my own house at uni..no way will i stay with my parents.
my parents are VERY controlling and i need freedom even if i have to pay in another house.