The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spacepirate-James
i think martin_ppe

and oxford_destiny are the same people....

i.e. a really bad troll

and everyone knows that a firm handshake/smiling could also be the interviewer going, "Oh **** me. What a dickhead, thank god he's leaving." OR similarly, a paedophile :smile:

This, or even just simple politeness. :h:
Original post by Martin_PPE
I logged into UCAS on the 24th to find an 'unsuccessful' stamp on my application to oxford.

Troll --> Oxford don't update track until january. Everyone hears by letter or email.

:troll:
What the bloody hell is up with everyone saying I am a troll???

Good indications = positive correlation that you are going to be accepted. Along with my almost perfect academic reference, my argument is that there is NO CAUSE to be rejected. If the interview had gone perishingly bad then I would understand, but as my entire application went as smooth as possible, what cause do they have to reject a perfect student?

He's the one who has to teach you closely for four years. Maybe the whole time he was thinking 'I hate this t%$t!' but putting on a great poker face. Being academically clever isn't all that these days - everyone and their aunt has A's, A*'s. It's about what you do to stand out. And you obviously didn't.
Reply 63
Original post by Rugbylad_1992
Haha, you're bitterness tastes good, I applied with ABB last year and got accepted and am now doing my first year of PPE at Magdalen. They dont just look at your results ou know they look at the srt of person you are, and I was the captain of my schools rugby team which rendered my application superior to yours as it showed i am a natural born leader. I also completed ten tors which is as good as an extra AS in most oxford college's eyes.

Get over your grades and learnt taht oxford want people with life skillls more than a stars...

If someone of your calibre is studying PPE at Magdalen I would be shocked. You cannot even spell. "You're bitterness tastes good?" Get out of here, it's "your" not "you're". This is a farce.
Original post by oxford_destiny
To the contrary, I am the top student in one of the top grammar schools in the country (Head boy and all the trimmings), I am, by all measurements, the perfect candidate, and yet they declined. Also, please do not question my intelligence, I have too much integrity to get into a petty squabble with an underachieving buffoon of your standard.

They don't give a **** if you're Head Boy or not, it's about potential and they look at your application holistically...
If the interview had gone perishingly bad then I would understand, but as my entire application went as smooth as possible, what cause do they have to reject a perfect student?

Maybe because you reek of arrogance?

You were doing so well at trolling... until you mentioned the Daily Mail.
Reply 66
It's bizarre that people should be rejected when they literally are the epiphany of perfect. I am the same, apart from the blemish in my GCSE record and my poor performance in my Economics AS (79%) and they have the gall, the cheek, to reject me. Who could possibly be better? You can't be telling me that Oxford receives 4,500 perfect applications? It's absolutely barmy. Someone should do an expose (maybe the daily mail perhaps?)

Bryan Nance, the former director of minority recruitment at MIT, said it best - I've just swapped MIT for Oxford here:

An Oxford education is a privilege, not a right.

"Misleading" signals aside, get real. There just aren't enough spaces; you may have been good, but someone may have waltzed in after you and blown the adcomm away even more. Competition really *is* stiff this year, and a fair few who applied already have A2 grades in the bag.

Besides, who are we students to declare the actions of a university's adcomm as "cheeky"? I'm also privy to disagreeing with your claim of being the "epiphany of perfect" - spot the other blemish here:

The interviewer and me got on superbly, so whether or not I have a head up my arse or whatever you're saying is irrelevant.

EDIT// Oh, and I see you've decided to call someone else out on their spelling/grammatical faux pas? Never mind, I found another:
If the interview had gone perishingly bad then I would understand, but as my entire application went as smooth as possible, what cause do they have to reject a perfect student?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by AskMeAnything
He's the one who has to teach you closely for four years. Maybe the whole time he was thinking 'I hate this t%$t!' but putting on a great poker face. Being academically clever isn't all that these days - everyone and their aunt has A's, A*'s. It's about what you do to stand out. And you obviously didn't.

It would have been obvious if he was putting on a brave face. I am good an analysing people and we genuinely did hit it off, so don't spout rubbish that you don't understand.
It's bizarre that people should be rejected when they literally are the epiphany of perfect. I am the same, apart from the blemish in my GCSE record and my poor performance in my Economics AS (79%) and they have the gall, the cheek, to reject me. Who could possibly be better? You can't be telling me that Oxford receives 4,500 perfect applications? It's absolutely barmy. Someone should do an expose (maybe the daily mail perhaps?)

They will certainly have many more applicants than they can take who have As in all of their AS subjects, so a B in Economics AS (a subject that you are planning to take at university) hardly makes you the perfect candidate.
Hello all, this is my first post here so I will try to be as concise as possible to ensure I do not overcomplicate matters.

My name is Martin, and after much deliberation I decided that Oxford would be the university best suited to my planned study of PPE (philosophy, politics and economics in case you didn't know). Naturally, my school supported this decision and the head of sixth form contacted the college to let them know of my intentions to apply (school policy to ensure high acceptance rate).

So the time came to apply and I filled in my UCAS (7A*'s at GCSE, A* A* A predicted grades. Would have been more but my revision suffered due to a skiing holiday, so i put this on the form). As expected I was invited to interview pretty quickly unlike some of my peers who did not even get interviewed.

The interview went swimmingly, the interviewer even dropped heavy hints that I would be chosen, so, naturally, we planned for me to live in oxford and I began studying all the major historical happenings and we even bought a romper suit with the oxford university logo embossed in the lapel (straying off topic here).

I logged into UCAS on the 24th to find an 'unsuccessful' stamp on my application to oxford. Reeling with shock I immediately telephoned the college to have my say but I was told no-one would be there to answer my calls until after christmas, which, i'm sure you'll agree, is outrageous. The verbal contract me and the interviewer held has been shattered and i'm beginning to think oxbridge in general is as rubbish as people say. I wasn't sure I wanted to go there in the first place and having put trust in a university which has a reputation for apparently being 'the best' (...) but being turned down is ludicrous.

Could someone please explain why I might have been rejected considering the interviewer guaranteed me that I would be accepted (firm handshake, smiling etc)? I have spoken to my head of sixth form already and he has written a letter of complaint to the college that they have acted with misleading conduct. He said there's a chance I might get in if we prove that I have been misled. As it stands at the moment I have to hear back from York and I have an offer from LSE but both of these are subpar for the course I want to study so I feel lost and confused.

Thanks alot,

Martin

Lol don't cry Mr. Troll. :biggrin:
I have better academics than you and got rejected from Oxford, it's not the end of the world. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 70
You were rejected because the interviewers thought there were other people who were more qualified/had more potential/the interviewers just liked them more.

I was rejected and I got similar grades to you whilst having an undiagnosed debilitating illness and attending a state school.

It's competitive, deal with it :')!
Reply 71
Your trolling skills are absolutely terrible...

Wow, where do I start:

*Oxford receives many "perfect" applications on paper. They use the entrance tests/written work/interview and the like to discriminate between candidates.
*Many people have gotten into Oxford without "perfect" GCSEs.
*Oxford does not look at UMS marks.
*You didn't fulfill admission criteria?
Original post by r_u_t_h

Original post by r_u_t_h
hmmm... more than one tab open at once on the internet maybe...?

yeh, you are right...!
*suspicious*
:smile:
Poor.. the romper suit gave you away.
It is beyond me how people are taking this seriously.
Reply 75
'Tis a troll

plus PPE is oversubscribed
Original post by Tabers
And have you got any work experience, volunteering in? It's not all academics that count.

Hmm, interview/entrance test/written work would count for a lot more than work experience/volunteering especially as they are irrelevant extra curriculars, and some candidates may be disadvantaged as they did not receive those opportunities.

Lol. Academics are all that count.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/7965715/Universities-uninterested-in-pupils-extra-curricular-activities.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11108389

And from Oxford themselves:

"How important are extra-curricular activities in making an application.

Extra-curricular activities will not form part of the selection process except in so far as they may help you to demonstrate the selection criteria for your subject. Tutors select candidates based on their academic achievements and potential."

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/international_students/information_for_international_applicants/frequent.html
What the bloody hell is up with everyone saying I am a troll???

Good indications = positive correlation that you are going to be accepted. Along with my almost perfect academic reference, my argument is that there is NO CAUSE to be rejected. If the interview had gone perishingly bad then I would understand, but as my entire application went as smooth as possible, what cause do they have to reject a perfect student?

No.

Simply - you didn't fulfill admissions criteria.
Reply 78
Original post by im so academic
No.

Simply - you didn't fulfill admissions criteria.

But on paper I am faultless (many other people from my school applied as we send lots of people onto Oxbridge and my qualifications were the highest out of all of them). I am going to telephone them tomorrow again and ask to speak to the professor who interviewed me.
Original post by Rugbylad_1992
Haha, you're bitterness tastes good, I applied with ABB last year and got accepted and am now doing my first year of PPE at Magdalen. They dont just look at your results ou know they look at the srt of person you are, and I was the captain of my schools rugby team which rendered my application superior to yours as it showed i am a natural born leader. I also completed ten tors which is as good as an extra AS in most oxford college's eyes.

Get over your grades and learnt taht oxford want people with life skillls more than a stars...

100% I know this is a troll:

How important are extra-curricular activities in making an application.

Extra-curricular activities will not form part of the selection process except in so far as they may help you to demonstrate the selection criteria for your subject. Tutors select candidates based on their academic achievements and potential.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/international_students/information_for_international_applicants/frequent.html
http://www.teachingtimes.com/news/extra-curricular-university-offers.htm
http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6055922

Latest

Trending

Trending