The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I love trolls on here.
Reply 121
Original post by adam1992
You really seem bitter, I am just going to say that there certainly was an administrative error in giving you an interview in the first place!

Oh look, a wise guy. Please just stick to the meanings of the thread or go back to your media/arts based degree with no job prospects, you left wing arrogant cretin.
Original post by Martin_PPE
I did not hit the slopes once. I was revising for the whole three weeks in the apartment.

So basically, you lied. It didn't affect your revision at all.

This is further proof that you don't deserve to go to Oxford.
Original post by oxford_destiny
To all the underachievers spewing out nonsense in this thread, please remember that I had A*A*A*A and was declined.

They look for other things than grades. Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:
Original post by Deema

Original post by Deema
Perhaps Oxford were looking for a less pretentious candidate. I wonder what your definition of a "proper" university is? I am not disputing that Harvard and Dartmouth are excellent universities, despite Dartmouth being considerably worse than Oxford, whilst Cambridge surpasses Harvard at number one in the world rankings, however discrediting Oxford simply because they don't want you is not only childish but goes to show what a hindrance you would have been to the University. No doubt, had Harvard or Dartmouth rejected you, you would have sneered at them. Although don't pride yourself too much, Ivy League schools in the US will take the most average student as long as they have a scholarship of sorts. :h:

Please tell me this is a joke? Dartmouth far outstrips Oxbridge in terms of budget, student happiness % and funding, so please get your facts right before spreading them across the internet in a foul smear.

Of course Cambridge is ranked higher in British paper rankings', there is a degree of national bias, if you go on the Forbes rankings, which do there best to be unbiased, you will find that Dartmouth and Harvard are not even in the same league as Cambridge, and Cambridge struggles to break the top 20.

Perhaps you should have done some research before opening yourself up for public embarrassment?
:lolwut:
Reply 126
Original post by zoec1989
lol well if you are being genuine then: I think the problem is, universities like Oxford and Cambridge have a lot of applicants, all of whom have amazing grades and there just isn't enough spaces for them all. Interviewers are always encouraging and polite to interviewees, and smiling and shaking someone's hand doesn't guarantee that you have a place. Also, the decision may not have been down to this one interviewer, I'm sure a number of people in the department have to make the decisions together. It is so competitive in universities these days, that there just isn't enough room for everyone who shows the intelligence or promise to go to these universities.

This. There are far too many people applying for one place at Oxbridge these days. I was rejected too this year and they said it was regrettably due to lack of spaces. I know it is disappointing but you have to understand that there are other people with the same prospects as you and at the end of the day they only choose so many applicants to give offers to.

Maybe you came across as too certain that you will get a place and they probably didn't like that. Admissions tutors like confident people but too certain crosses the line, it is almost as you portray yourself as big-headed (it's only a suggestion not meaning to offend you).

Good luck with your other choices and I hope you do end up where is best for you and you succeed! Just don't let something like this get to you, and just think about the competition out there. Moreover, it is a common pattern that those who get accepted by LSE, Bristol etc don't get accepted by Oxbridge so there might be something in it? don't know, just jump this hurdle and move on :smile:

oh and as someone said, they are probably looking at things far more than grades as I am predicted A*A*A*A too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Ha Ha, very funny. I would have drawn this conclusion myself if it wasn't for the fact that the interviewer made me feel as though I was part of the family. We had a laugh about current affairs and he said 'you will be hearing from ME shortly' then firmly shook my hand and smiled. This (according to my head of sixth form who did an MA at Cambridge) is a sure sign of acceptance. As you can imagine, my head is swimming with folklore and i'm not sure what to believe.

Your Head of Sixth Form is a complete knob. This is 21st century Oxford which (OK might not quite tally up with the rest of 21st century society) is no longer some old boys' club where a firm handshake and smile, or "you will be hearing from me shortly" (just a polite phrase: how can you not see that) equates to an offer.

I'm very sorry if you're not a complete **** or troll and if you've been genuinely misled, but your evidence of an offer is none. If you try and make a claim against the uni, you'll be laughed out of the building :yes:
Reply 128
So the interviewer said "congratulations you have an offer" at the end did he, if you had been 'guaranteed' a place? I don't believe your school is complaining -PPE is extremely competitive like many Oxford courses. I know people who were rejected before interview with 11A*s and 100% in their AS's - they have more of a reason for complaining. I also thought I was in with a chance and was rejected, but you don't go into the application process thinking everything will always go your way.

To whoever who gave this a negative rating - why? It's perfectly reasonable.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 129
Oh look, a wise guy. Please just stick to the meanings of the thread or go back to your media/arts based degree with no job prospects, you left wing arrogant cretin.

i'm sorry but as you can see from the spoiler below i have been offered five places on law courses, which is most certainly not media/arts based and if you knew me you would not call me left wing, you pompous, public school troll.
Reply 130
LOL I always thought that the aim of yer average self-respecting troll was to keep 'em baited and guessing for as long as poss. This guy got found out in replies 1 and 2 of this thread, yet he's still chugging away wasting his own time posting here. He's hardly the thinking troll's troll is he?
Original post by Rugbylad_1992
And you would know this how? Excuse me while I talk sense when I say that your quintessential ignorance is obvious to everybody but you. Going to oxford is all about showing you have the skills to become a world leader, that could be by showing your leadership skills (rugby captain), being a school leader (Head boy etc.). Please stop embarrassing yourself and learn to use google, Oxford have released countless articles recently stating their preference for social skills though of course you probably don't even know what they are.

Seriously? Seriously?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/7965715/Universities-uninterested-in-pupils-extra-curricular-activities.html

A spokesperson for Oxford University said: "This won't come as any surprise to teachers, as we've been making it crystal clear for years. The fair way to select the very best students from a very strong field is to assess only academic ability and potential for the chosen subject of study.

Where is your ****ing evidence?
Reply 132
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
If you honestly think that firm handshake and smiling at you constitutes pretty much giving you an offer... I'm at a loss for words really. Same about your college's policy of ringing up colleges in advance to announce that you've applied :lolwut:

The fact is that, unfortunately for you, someone was better. Even if they honestly did want to give you a place after interviewing you, maybe the people after you were better and they changed their mind.

I seriously doubt you'll be able to prove misleading contact. Even if there was, it's hardly going to endear you to college and entice them to retract their decision and take you in now, is it?

Get a grip and go to LSE instead :yes:

I understand some of what you are saying but I think my sixth form (not college..) has a good grasp of how to ensure we are chosen to study at oxford and by informing the college before we apply makes them look forward to reading the application. My head of sixth said my application would contain Latin (from some extracurricular study I did) so the admissions tutors would know that an old boy recommends me when he reads my personal statement.

I am not going to go to LSE as I think Cambridge or Oxford might cater better to my desires and I don't like the large asian population at LSE which might hinder my performance in competitions/decrease job prospects for political correctness reasons.
x

An Oxford grade, ah, please, have you read this post in this thread?

Original post by Rugbylad_1992
And you would know this how? Excuse me while I talk sense when I say that your quintessential ignorance is obvious to everybody but you. Going to oxford is all about showing you have the skills to become a world leader, that could be by showing your leadership skills (rugby captain), being a school leader (Head boy etc.). Please stop embarrassing yourself and learn to use google, Oxford have released countless articles recently stating their preference for social skills though of course you probably don't even know what they are.

:facepalm2:
Original post by oxford_destiny
The exact same situation for me. It appears that the rumours that Oxford is seeking to take less intelligent undergraduates to appear less "elitist" is true. Ever since I was 8 years old i knew i was destined for a position high in the world and I only applied to Oxford as a backup (For Harvard and Dartmouth, proper universities), so to see a rejection was laughable. With my A*A*A*A predicted grades they must have either declined me accidentally or, as mentioned earlier, seen me as too intelligent for the new breed of .... average students.

Seeing as you're so laughably bitter and elitist, perhaps you should change your username to failure_destiny :yes:

OT: Threads like this are why I love TSR :yep:
I understand some of what you are saying but I think my sixth form (not college..) has a good grasp of how to ensure we are chosen to study at oxford and by informing the college before we apply makes them look forward to reading the application. My head of sixth said my application would contain Latin (from some extracurricular study I did) so the admissions tutors would know that an old boy recommends me when he reads my personal statement.

I am not going to go to LSE as I think Cambridge or Oxford might cater better to my desires and I don't like the large asian population at LSE which might hinder my performance in competitions/decrease job prospects for political correctness reasons.

See my other post about the old boys stuff. I'm going to presume you're either a complete arrogant **** or that you're a troll, so will not be responding to any other posts of yours :nah:
Your Head of Sixth Form is a complete knob. This is 21st century Oxford which (OK might not quite tally up with the rest of 21st century society) is no longer some old boys' club where a firm handshake and smile, or "you will be hearing from me shortly" (just a polite phrase: how can you not see that) equates to an offer.

I'm very sorry if you're not a complete **** or troll and if you've been genuinely misled, but your evidence of an offer is none. If you try and make a claim against the uni, you'll be laughed out of the building :yes:

If this isn't a troll, it will only just reconfirm Oxford's decision that they were right. :awesome:
Listen to me, smart arse. If the family has to go abroad to meet someone important and the venue HAPPENS to be a skiing resort, it doesn't mean I was enjoying myself.

i dont believe what you say and quite frankly dont know why im continuing to comment on your post. enjoy being bitterand arragant your whole life. you may want to try a loosen up a bit, you wont get far otherwise.
Original post by im so academic
If this isn't a troll, it will only just reconfirm Oxford's decision that they were right. :awesome:

I can't quite tell, tbh :s-smilie:

That other post you showed me is def :facepalm: though :biggrin:
Hello all, this is my first post here so I will try to be as concise as possible to ensure I do not overcomplicate matters.

My name is Martin, and after much deliberation I decided that Oxford would be the university best suited to my planned study of PPE (philosophy, politics and economics in case you didn't know). Naturally, my school supported this decision and the head of sixth form contacted the college to let them know of my intentions to apply (school policy to ensure high acceptance rate).

So the time came to apply and I filled in my UCAS (7A*'s at GCSE, A* A* A predicted grades. Would have been more but my revision suffered due to a skiing holiday, so i put this on the form). As expected I was invited to interview pretty quickly unlike some of my peers who did not even get interviewed.

The interview went swimmingly, the interviewer even dropped heavy hints that I would be chosen, so, naturally, we planned for me to live in oxford and I began studying all the major historical happenings and we even bought a romper suit with the oxford university logo embossed in the lapel (straying off topic here).

I logged into UCAS on the 24th to find an 'unsuccessful' stamp on my application to oxford. Reeling with shock I immediately telephoned the college to have my say but I was told no-one would be there to answer my calls until after christmas, which, i'm sure you'll agree, is outrageous. The verbal contract me and the interviewer held has been shattered and i'm beginning to think oxbridge in general is as rubbish as people say. I wasn't sure I wanted to go there in the first place and having put trust in a university which has a reputation for apparently being 'the best' (...) but being turned down is ludicrous.

Could someone please explain why I might have been rejected considering the interviewer guaranteed me that I would be accepted (firm handshake, smiling etc)? I have spoken to my head of sixth form already and he has written a letter of complaint to the college that they have acted with misleading conduct. He said there's a chance I might get in if we prove that I have been misled. As it stands at the moment I have to hear back from York and I have an offer from LSE but both of these are subpar for the course I want to study so I feel lost and confused.

Thanks alot,

Martin

EDIT; I have come under fierce criticism and the point of the topic has been lost. Please stay on track and provide possible reasons why the interviewer would blatantly lie to my face and then not offer me a place. I am also interested in discussing the issue with a current PPE student at Cambridge as I'm considering applying there next year.

Firstly, get off your high horse and stop being so arrogant.
Secondly, don't take luxurious holidays during revision period, then use the holiday as an excuse when you don't do as well as you could have done.
Thirdly, using words like 'swimmingly' makes you sound like an absolute arse.

Latest

Trending

Trending