The Student Room Group

Msc Finance at Warwick : impressive figures

Scroll to see replies

Hey Guys,

I've got an offer from Warwick and am waiting for Imperial. Obviously, I may not get an offer from Imperial, but these are my two main contenders. From a lot of people, I get the impression that the WBS MSc finance is highly regarded, but then you get some posts that tell you it is nothing compared to Imperial.
The more I hear about Warwick, the more I tend toward it. My origional choices were Imperial>LSE>Warwick. But I got rejected from LSE (I didnt have the GMAT), so now, If i did get an offer from Imperial, my choice is less complicated. Still, to get a FO interview at an IB, it seems both Uni's are established enough to get you in the door.
I figured I'd get my voice in to see which people think would be the best place to give a fighting chance for IB trading? That is why I tend toward Imperial. If I was more geared toward CorpFin then I would go for Warwick. But that said, if I really wanted to do CorpFin, then LSE would have been my first choice by a mile instead of me leaning toward Imperial.
Just wanted to see what people would do in my situation.
Reply 21
To be frank about it, either Warwick or Imperial would get you an interview at big banks, but it's how you perform in the interview that would make the difference. In other words, there is very little difference between Warwick and Imperial, so choosing between them on the basis of employment opportunities is futile. I'd say choose the school based on fit, cost, atmosphere or location. You can't go wrong on either school.
Original post by Mr. Roxas

Original post by Mr. Roxas
To be frank about it, either Warwick or Imperial would get you an interview at big banks, but it's how you perform in the interview that would make the difference. In other words, there is very little difference between Warwick and Imperial, so choosing between them on the basis of employment opportunities is futile. I'd say choose the school based on fit, cost, atmosphere or location. You can't go wrong on either school.

Thanks for the input. Thats all I'm thinking really. I know that it's only small between them, and as much as I wanna see how far I can go academically, I really just want the opportunity to be interviewed. Even with a first, I've not been been called for one yet, and I figured I've got pretty good EC's with the investment club and american football. Plus I doubt I do that badly on every numerical test cos when I rang for some results one time i only made 2 mistakes (90%). I guess I just gotta keep improving :smile:
for me Cambridge> Warwick=Imperial>else

I have an offer from places apart from Cambridge.

I think Warwick might win over Imperial for me as well.

Anybody picking imperial over Warwick and reasons why? If you are not going into structuring.
Reply 24
I've got the same dilemma! I'm assuming that I'll be rejected by the LSE in the new year, and I'm waiting back from Imperial, though I have to make a decision about Warwick relatively soon (my deposit deadline is in early Jan). I genuinely think, though, that the course structure at Imperial and Warwick actually looks more interesting than that at LSE, but that's possibly because I'm a Mathematician, and Warwick and Imperial are probably better on that side of things. It's just whether a) Imperial is too expensive or b) whether there's any advantage in living in London, whether because of networking / interviewing etc. or because I'd be able to live at home. Sigh.
Reply 25
If you have the money, I would certainly recommend Imperial, one of the five super elite universities in the UK. As mentioned by people here, thequality of the two courses are probably the same. But the name of "Imperial College" carries far more prestige than that of Warwick.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
By looking at the profiles of the lecturers/professors at the two schools, I have a strong impression that those at the Tanaka Business School are more prestigious and experienced in both research and practices, though I have no personal experience in the two schools :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Tarutaru
If you have the money, I would certainly recommend Imperial, one of the five super elite universities in the UK. As mentioned by people here, thequality of the two courses are probably the same. But the name of "Imperial College" carries far more prestige than that of Warwick.

then again some would think in the opposite direction... i.e a degree from the Business school of Warwick is more recognised among employers.. :P.. then again every1 has their own opinion... :biggrin:
Reply 28
Original post by kuzelle
It is best to probably look at the research rating of the departments.. that should prob give u the best idea as to how good a uni is..

This is exactly what international rankings measure. Unlike domestic rankings which include a dozen of stupid ranking criteria (e.g. students' happiness as measured by satisfaction, good honour degrees/completion rates (may well be an indication of low-standard), computing expenditure (we all have our own laptops these days) etc), international rankings focus primarily on the research power of universities, using criteria such as citations and no. of nobel prize winners etc.
Original post by Ineedaplace
for me Cambridge> Warwick=Imperial>else

I have an offer from places apart from Cambridge.

I think Warwick might win over Imperial for me as well.

Anybody picking imperial over Warwick and reasons why? If you are not going into structuring.

Have you herd back from Imperial yet m8? I was hoping to hear back from them before the holidays, but I've got a feeling that my deposit deadline will expire by the time they get back to me.
Original post by henryt
I've got the same dilemma! I'm assuming that I'll be rejected by the LSE in the new year, and I'm waiting back from Imperial, though I have to make a decision about Warwick relatively soon (my deposit deadline is in early Jan). I genuinely think, though, that the course structure at Imperial and Warwick actually looks more interesting than that at LSE, but that's possibly because I'm a Mathematician, and Warwick and Imperial are probably better on that side of things. It's just whether a) Imperial is too expensive or b) whether there's any advantage in living in London, whether because of networking / interviewing etc. or because I'd be able to live at home. Sigh.

I know what you mean about the course content at LSE. My degree was all about finance and investment banking and when I compare the content of that with the MSc at LSE, I'd prefer mine if it was soley about the course.

If Imperial was the same price as Warwick (just tuition, not London expenses), I'd probably go for imperial almost certainly. But with the fact that Warwick grads seem to have the same, if not more opportunities, it seems that extra £7000, and then living in London, almost isnt worth it. I've also herd on a number of occasions that almost a quater of the people fail at Imperial!!

Out of curiosity, are you from the UK? I ask because I am, and because of that, I have not taken the GMAT. So i didnt apply to oxford MFE, and got rejected from LSE cos, even though I got a first, I've herd they really want the GMAT.
Reply 31
Original post by Peaches182
I know what you mean about the course content at LSE. My degree was all about finance and investment banking and when I compare the content of that with the MSc at LSE, I'd prefer mine if it was soley about the course.

If Imperial was the same price as Warwick (just tuition, not London expenses), I'd probably go for imperial almost certainly. But with the fact that Warwick grads seem to have the same, if not more opportunities, it seems that extra £7000, and then living in London, almost isnt worth it. I've also herd on a number of occasions that almost a quater of the people fail at Imperial!!

Out of curiosity, are you from the UK? I ask because I am, and because of that, I have not taken the GMAT. So i didnt apply to oxford MFE, and got rejected from LSE cos, even though I got a first, I've herd they really want the GMAT.

I applied to Warwick, Ednburgh, and LSE for Financial Math, and Finance at Cambridge... Didn't do GMAT's (oversease studnt, but I did my undergrad in the UK) so I doubt I will get into Cam.. :frown:.. Send my applications in December so I doubt I will hear from them any time soon...from the looks of it I Warwicks my best shot.. dont thnk I have a strong enuf profil to get into LSE or Cam.. :frown: :frown:
Original post by kuzelle
I applied to Warwick, Ednburgh, and LSE for Financial Math, and Finance at Cambridge... Didn't do GMAT's (oversease studnt, but I did my undergrad in the UK) so I doubt I will get into Cam.. :frown:.. Send my applications in December so I doubt I will hear from them any time soon...from the looks of it I Warwicks my best shot.. dont thnk I have a strong enuf profil to get into LSE or Cam.. :frown: :frown:

The thing is, for Financial Math, I think you would have a good chance at LSE. If you've applied to cambridge, I assume you got a first so with that, and I figure your degree is either maths, or very mathsy (great use of the english language :smile:). You dont need the GMAT to strengthen your app for that. The only down side for LSE financial math is that they admit so few people, but I dont think that your academics would be the reason your wont get in.

Have you herd from Warwick yet?
Reply 33
Original post by Peaches182
The thing is, for Financial Math, I think you would have a good chance at LSE. If you've applied to cambridge, I assume you got a first so with that, and I figure your degree is either maths, or very mathsy (great use of the english language :smile:). You dont need the GMAT to strengthen your app for that. The only down side for LSE financial math is that they admit so few people, but I dont think that your academics would be the reason your wont get in.

Have you herd from Warwick yet?

Well im a second year doing Maths and Econ.. Currently on a first... But I have given hope on LSE, as a girl from my uni who did Maths with Finance anad had an avg of over 90 got rejected.. and a mark of 90 plus is a rare deal... nope have not heard from Warwick.. Applied just before xmas, so i doubt i'l hear from them in the near future.. whats ur profile like???? btw congrats on getn into Warwick.. the best after oxbridge and LSE in my opinion.. :biggrin:
what are the 5 super elite universities tarutaru?

Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, and.......

UCL,Warwick, Imperial are all tier 2?

or are we counting LBS somewhere here?
Reply 35
what are the 5 super elite universities tarutaru?

Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, and.......

UCL,Warwick, Imperial are all tier 2?

or are we counting LBS somewhere here?

Oxford Cambridge LSE UCL and Imperial... I am talking about universities in general not about any academic departments in particular.

The five most competitive universities in the UK and the only five universities in the UK which can compete with the top universities in the United States. Warwick is very good in some disciplines. But as I said, most of the departments are just average standard and it is not well-known at all outside the UK.

I got the term "super elite" from the following report (I think)

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storyCode=186508&sectioncode=26
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
I think these five universities are now very happy with the government's new law of raising the education fees from 3k to 9k XD
Original post by kuzelle
Well im a second year doing Maths and Econ.. Currently on a first... But I have given hope on LSE, as a girl from my uni who did Maths with Finance anad had an avg of over 90 got rejected.. and a mark of 90 plus is a rare deal... nope have not heard from Warwick.. Applied just before xmas, so i doubt i'l hear from them in the near future.. whats ur profile like???? btw congrats on getn into Warwick.. the best after oxbridge and LSE in my opinion.. :biggrin:

90% and got rejected?? That's insane. I applied to Warwick, pretty much when they opened. My plan was to get Imperials and Warwick in at the same time so I could choose (should I get an offer :s-smilie: :smile: ) between their offers, but imperial only opened in december, so I'm in the same boat as a lot of people.

In terms of my profile. I got a first from the ICMA Centre in International Securities, Investment and Banking. Its a real mouth full telling people what I studied at uni. Sometimes I just tell people finance and investment banking (which is what the course is called now), but then say its a shortend name for it........and end up telling them the full name of the course anyway.It begs the question, why the f*** dont I tell 'em what it is in the first place :smile:

I've already graduated and am working at a HSBC up north. So at the very least, I'll have 9 months work experience in a decent company should I not get an internship this time round.

In terms of extra-curricula’s, Investment Club, American football (line backer) ............. long walks on the beach, curling up with a good book and a glass of wine (the first two are true :smile: )

General info about my degree. There were some genuine extenuating circumstances in my second year, although, everyone will say that :smile:. But my second year average was 57% and my third year average was 82%, so hopefully you can see that there was something a bit iffy with me. But I'm not making excuses, and I still made sure I got a first, which was what I wanted in the beginning.

Good luck on your apps btw. I imagine you'll do pretty good. Out of curiosity, what uni are you at? if you dont mind me asking (i understand if you'd rather not).
Hmmmm should I be considering UCL economics more then. I totally disregarded it in favor of imperial college and Warwick..... Tarutaru do you go to UCL or applying there?
Reply 39
Hmmmm should I be considering UCL economics more then. I totally disregarded it in favor of imperial college and Warwick..... Tarutaru do you go to UCL or applying there?

Dude, if you want to do finance then you should not apply to UCL but take a finance master. Reasons:

1. UCL is very strong (probably the best in Europe) in microeconometrics, game theories, industrial organization, mechanism design etc). On the other hand, while UCL has a few (2 or 3) highly prestigious macroeconomists and one financial economists, its macroeconomics is the worst among the five best economic departments in the UK. If you want to specialize in finance then UCL is not a good choice.

2. UCL economics is extremely mathematical as I pointed out to you in some other posts. It requires a substantial amount of efforts even to pass it. If you don't have the determination and intention to do a PhD (let alone suitable technical background), I would say forget about it.

3. You won't hear back from UCL until March 2011 and the entry is very highly competitive. You may lose your deposit for Warwick if you are admitted and want to go to UCL.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending