The Student Room Group

Help with A2 chemistry calculation

Hi I need help with these type of calculations as I find them really confusing. its pretty long but if you do get the answer could you leave how you worked it out please. cheers

Compound A is an organic base. A student analysed this base by the procedure below. He first prepared a solution of A by dissolving 4.32g of A in water and making the solution up to 250cm3. The student then carried out a titration in which 25.00cm3 of this solution of A were neutralised by exactly 23.20cm3 of 0.200 HCl.
1 mole of A reacts completely with 1 mole of HCl.
Use this information to calculate this molar mass of base A and suggest its identity.

Thanks!!
Original post by CaseySD
Hi I need help with these type of calculations as I find them really confusing. its pretty long but if you do get the answer could you leave how you worked it out please. cheers

Compound A is an organic base. A student analysed this base by the procedure below. He first prepared a solution of A by dissolving 4.32g of A in water and making the solution up to 250cm3. The student then carried out a titration in which 25.00cm3 of this solution of A were neutralised by exactly 23.20cm3 of 0.200 HCl.
1 mole of A reacts completely with 1 mole of HCl.
Use this information to calculate this molar mass of base A and suggest its identity.

Thanks!!

When faced with this sort of question you must work backwards from the information which alllows you to determine the actual amount of one of the components. (highlighted)
Reply 2
Original post by charco
When faced with this sort of question you must work backwards from the information which alllows you to determine the actual amount of one of the components. (highlighted)

Alright thanks for the hint.. I guess ill give it another go
Reply 3
Original post by CaseySD
Alright thanks for the hint.. I guess ill give it another go

Hey,

i'm stuck on a similar thing, i think i got the answer as 93.1. Is that right?
Original post by gozatron
Hey,

i'm stuck on a similar thing, i think i got the answer as 93.1. Is that right?

... is the correct answer.... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest