The Student Room Group

Village life ?

Why would anyone our age, i am speaking to the age bracket of 17 to 24 or younger or older, in fact a range would be nice. Why tell me why would living in a small isolated place be attractive to anyone ? the nearest town is like 5 miles away, it costs a tonne for petrol now and we are supposed to be greener. City life is just top rate and to me village life has no benefits with it, why would anyone want to be so out of the loop of society and what impact would living in a village have on future kids ? let me put it to you that they would have a very sheltered experiance of the world and it wouldn't hold them in good stead for future life. so cmon benefits to village life or do people share my sentiment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
peace and quiet?
Reply 2
I imagine the type of people who become incredibly boring and insular in a relationship wouldn't mind. We all know one (or two).
I am 20 and when I'm not at uni I live in a village.
I do hate it but it's where my parents live. I guess in a way it's nice because you can't go anywhere without bumping into someone you know. But everyone knows everyone's business and it is quite boring, and there's no where to go so the teenagers have to resort to hanging around street corners..
When I leave uni I am definitely not living in a village.
Reply 4
I live in a village and I really do see your point - 3mile to the nearest bus stop! I personally quite like the countryside, I would just prefer to live in a village which had a bus stop. I have nice walks to walk the dog on, don't need to worry about people seeeing in through my windows and its prettier. I don't really mind travelling that much though - it gives me time to think + relax.
Reply 5
Original post by Soph1990
peace and quiet?

Why would this be attractive ? people can easily obtain peace and quiet, just go into house or flat lock the door and crank up the ipod or whatever. Why sacrifice amenities for a horrible isolation.
Reply 6
Boring. Can't be a standard teenage rebel without your parents knowing what you've done before you've even got home. Everyones related and knows who you are. No chance of getting served underage. No chance of having fun in general. Villge life sucks.
Reply 7
Dear God villages are life sucking. Would trade to live in a town or a city in a heartbeat, personally I hate it.
I lived in a village by the sea.

:coma:

Beach parties, walks on the beach with ze luvvahhhh.
Reply 9
Original post by Alian
I live in a village and I really do see your point - 3mile to the nearest bus stop! I personally quite like the countryside, I would just prefer to live in a village which had a bus stop. I have nice walks to walk the dog on, don't need to worry about people seeeing in through my windows and its prettier. I don't really mind travelling that much though - it gives me time to think + relax.

Thing is though if you say lived in a city or large town like i used to you could have all that. If you dont mind travelling that is. I lived in Chesterfield. 10 miles away from Sheffield, very large city in the UK and advantage ot chesterfield for peace and quiet you could always escape to the peak district. Why cut yourself off completely when you can have tranquility and the fun of hustle and bustle
Reply 10
Original post by SuicideCommando
I lived in a village by the sea.

:coma:

Beach parties, walks on the beach with ze luvvahhhh.

Beaches !! right explain to me, what the attraction is with beaches. I live in Dorset, it has plenty of them, i could give a flying, beach parties are rather poor, with a but of imagination you could walk to a field and have a party there, why does there need to be cold sea involved ? And walks on the beach, i would prefer doing something other than going for walks because thats all there is to do, its nice once in a while but other than that its pretty boring
Reply 11
I live in a village and it’s great

I live in possibly the most beautiful county in the country with the great outdoors and history that townie and yank tourist alike pay a shed load to come and see right on my doorstep.

I know just about everybody, I know I can walk into one of the pubs (from the age of 15, local plod turn a blind eye) at just about anytime of the day and have a good crack on.

We care about one another, if somebody isn’t seen around and about for a day or two people start asking questions until an answer is found.

Were not out the loop of society, the city (if that’s all you count as society) is only an hour away by bus and the local towns only 30 min tops. You city lot are out of loop in our society, we go to the cinema/clubs etc but do you ever come out and take part in country sports or join the young farmers or other countryside activities, quite the opposite your generally completely arrogant and condescending about the whole lot.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Sphipsta

Beaches !! right explain to me, what the attraction is with beaches. I live in Dorset, it has plenty of them, i could give a flying, beach parties are rather poor, with a but of imagination you could walk to a field and have a party there, why does there need to be cold sea involved ? And walks on the beach, i would prefer doing something other than going for walks because thats all there is to do, its nice once in a while but other than that its pretty boring

:naughty: respect the ocean, mahhh lurrrrve.

go and get wrecked. they're more fun then. :bigsmile:
I've spent my entire life travelling around the world, from the biggest of skyscraper cities to the most rural of villages found smack dab in the middle of a jungle. I honestly feel happier out in a village rather than the hectic chaos of a city. That's not to say I hate metropolitan places, but my preferences in life lean more towards the tranquility (which you probably see as boredom) of 'village life'. I like quiet evenings in a tiny house with a book and a bundle of blankets. I like early morning walks out in a forest with no noise made but the crunch of leaves beneath my feet. And for lacking in amenities? I don't think they're lacking in anything that I need. I'm even fine with not having to go to a supermarket and having to grow my own vegetables and fruit - it keeps me busy and the end product is more satisfying. Again though, this is all personal preference.

No two people are the same, so it doesn't really matter what age you are - some will prefer living in the city because they love the busy, modern life where you can go out to a new, futuristic club every night, and some will prefer solitude out in the countryside where you can spend days roaming fields and not see a single soul. There's no right or wrong to where you want to live. You can't force somebody to like to live somewhere that makes them unhappy.

-- EDIT: You say go into a house or plug in an ipod for peace and quiet.. Quiet usually means silence. You can't get as much silence out in the city as you can in the countryside. You can go into a house, but you'll still hear ambulances and police cars all night long. You can plug in your ipod, but that completely defies the 'wanting silence' point.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Why would anyone our age, i am speaking to the age bracket of 17 to 24 or younger or older, in fact a range would be nice. Why tell me why would living in a small isolated place be attractive to anyone ? the nearest town is like 5 miles away, it costs a tonne for petrol now and we are supposed to be greener. City life is just top rate and to me village life has no benefits with it, why would anyone want to be so out of the loop of society and what impact would living in a village have on future kids ? let me put it to you that they would have a very sheltered experiance of the world and it wouldn't hold them in good stead for future life. so cmon benefits to village life or do people share my sentiment

Funny thing is I find that the people I know from small towns/the country tend to be way more content with their lives than the city folk, but I'm not sure why...

I've been living in big cities for years now and find it very hard to get back into country life... It doesn't make sense when you are used to the city.
Reply 15
Thing is though if you say lived in a city or large town like i used to you could have all that. If you dont mind travelling that is. I lived in Chesterfield. 10 miles away from Sheffield, very large city in the UK and advantage ot chesterfield for peace and quiet you could always escape to the peak district. Why cut yourself off completely when you can have tranquility and the fun of hustle and bustle

Hmmm, true. I suppose i've lived in the middle of no'where all my life and so can't really say.
Reply 16
Original post by Renner

I live in possibly the most beautiful county in the country with the great outdoors and history that townie and yank tourist alike pay a shed load to come and see right on my doorstep.

I know just about everybody, I know I can walk into one of the pubs at just about anytime of the day and have a good crack on.

We care about one another, if somebody isn’t seen around and about for a day or two people start asking questions until an answer is found.

Were not out the loop of society, the city (if that’s all you count as society) is only an hour away by bus and the local towns only 30 min tops. You city lot are out of loop in our society, we go to the cinema/clubs etc but do you ever come out and take part in country sports or join the young farmers or other countryside activities, quite the opposite your generally completely arrogant and condescending about the whole lot.

I am not disagreeing its probably lovely up there but still, i could go visit, why would anyone live there permenantly, why not have a second home there and have like monthly breaks.
Have you not considered there may be a reason that people from a faster and more exciting pace of life don't visit ? We are not arrogant but its plain to see that there is so much more to do in a city and that a village boasts of nothing but nice quaint little walks in the countryside which like i have stated earlier is nice one in a blue moon. Busses to me should be coming every 10 minutes or less.
Why is knowing everybody a good thing ? Villages are notorious for being bitchy and have people who dont mind their own business and stick their oars in when its not needed.
Close knit communities are not all they are cracked up to be
Original post by Renner

I know just about everybody, I know I can walk into one of the pubs (from the age of 15, local plod turn a blind eye) at just about anytime of the day and have a good crack on.

Second this :P

I used to love going to young farmers pissups when I was 15/16!
Reply 18
Original post by SuicideCommando
:naughty: respect the ocean, mahhh lurrrrve.

go and get wrecked. they're more fun then. :bigsmile:

Or just avoid them have a party in a house where most parties happen and not have to worry about keeping a fire going because the temp will drop very quickly and the party tends to die

It's just you not having enough stress in your life, not having a job or too many responsibilities, that's why you don't understand people who want to live a healthier, calmer, satisfying life.
Don't give me the financial argument, British people can make money in villages too.
From the legal point of view we are both within that range
From the mental point of view you are within that range, I'm not.

Original post by Little_My
Dear God villages are life sucking. Would trade to live in a town or a city in a heartbeat, personally I hate it.

I'd make the trade, let me know when it's the case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending