The Student Room Group

Would you be happy with an effortless career?

Basically, I have been thinking about careers after uni when I graduate. :eek:

I am getting high firsts in all my assessments and such so far. However, this is only because I'm putting a crazy amount of effort into what I feel is the 'last wave of examinations ever' in my life. I went to uni to study a subject that I enjoy and wanted the status of a graduate, however my parents may have had some part pushing me to go also :tongue:. To be honest I would get too stressed if I were to do further exams after uni and don't want to go through rigorous training that's required when doing a graduate job.

Why? I would rather spend time with friends, getting a gf, watching a crazy amount of movies (literally my best passion in life is being a film buff :biggrin:) and generally having a good time. I wouldn't want to put effort into the work I do to earn money, to be honest I'd rather do the same boring work over and over again effortlessly and have fun later when the 9-5 work shift is over. :smile:

I need advice if this is a good path to follow. Also does anyone think the same way?
Reply 1
I heard benefits are quite popular and effortless. Acting skills don't have to be that good either.
Reply 2
go for something inbetweeny. I realise that doesn't really make sense so; go for a job that isn't to much stress and is 9-5 leave all the work there never bring anything home kind of thing. But one that would have room for advancement into something more if you change your mind later on.
Reply 3
Original post by Xhotas
I heard benefits are quite popular and effortless. Acting skills don't have to be that good either.

No, I do want a job lol! I'm thinking something like admin where I can chew gum at my desk and listen to my music loud on the headphones. :biggrin:
Original post by turbo64

I am getting high firsts in all my assessments and such so far. However, this is only because I'm putting a crazy amount of effort into what I feel is the 'last wave of examinations ever' in my life. I went to uni to study a subject that I enjoy and wanted the status of a graduate, however my parents may have had some part pushing me to go also :tongue:. To be honest I would get too stressed if I were to do further exams after uni and don't want to go through rigorous training that's required when doing a graduate job.

Why? I would rather spend time with friends, getting a gf, watching a crazy amount of movies (literally my best passion in life is being a film buff :biggrin:) and generally having a good time. I wouldn't want to put effort into the work I do to earn money, to be honest I'd rather do the same boring work over and over again effortlessly and have fun later when the 9-5 work shift is over. :smile:

I need advice if this is a good path to follow. Also does anyone think the same way?

Part of the appeal of optometry is this, to be honest. It's an interesting job and I'll do good work whilst I'm there, get to help people and that's very important to me ... but it's not insignificant that it ends at work, and gives me the time to enjoy life.
Original post by turbo64

Your career path wouldn't appeal to me personally. I couldn't do a boring 9-5 job that I didn't really enjoy, just so I can have a great social life! That's why I'm opting for medicine - I find it interesting, and I think a career as a doctor will be challenging, but also highly rewarding :smile: I like my brain to be stimulated and challenged...hence office work would do nothing for me, apart from make me go a little crazy :eek3: Also one of the reasons, I could never be a stay-at-home housewife/mum (I'd have to work part-time at the very least)
Reply 6
Have you ever worked waiting on tables, behind a bar or in a shop? All effortless jobs that finish once you sign off from your shift. However awesome they are at first, they become boring SO quickly and you begin to resent going in and wasting your time in such a brain numbing way. I couldn't do that kind of a job forever...I want to work to live, sure, but I want my work to be important and involving rather than some pointless chained to a desk with no room for creativity kind of a job.
Reply 7
Original post by georgia
some pointless chained to a desk with no room for creativity kind of a job.

What about a boring desk job doing creative things on the side of the job? :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by boba
go for something inbetweeny. I realise that doesn't really make sense so; go for a job that isn't to much stress and is 9-5 leave all the work there never bring anything home kind of thing. But one that would have room for advancement into something more if you change your mind later on.

I can't think of such a job? All the jobs for advancement require to study further and lifelong learning.
Reply 9
Original post by turbo64
What about a boring desk job doing creative things on the side of the job? :tongue:

Don't think I could do it. 35 or 40 hours a week is a significant amount of time to be bored out of my skull involuntarily :wink:
Original post by turbo64

Original post by turbo64
I can't think of such a job? All the jobs for advancement require to study further and lifelong learning.

Some people enjoy studying further and lifelong learning? :h:
Reply 11
Do a career that you can at least enjoy in some way, 40+years is a long time to be doing something you dont like. If you like films why not look for a job/career to do with that, film critic, actor, create your own business buying and selling dvds or something, just think of your hobbies and your skills and then try and find a job that could use them both
Reply 12
pharmacy is hard at uni, but then easy as a job if u go into community pharmacy! but a small mistake might mean someone dead! its very well paid too! 20k as a trainee for 1 year, then at least 45k after that. but its more 9-6 job.
Reply 13
9-5 graduate job = moar money, moar fun, moar movies.
Reply 14
Why not get your nose into the city's trough for 10 years, and then watch movies for the rest of your life? Although the city is rather challenging to get into...
Reply 15
Original post by turbo64

a low level management job so if you decided you wanted to aim higher one day you could apply for a higher up one. I cant think of any better examples at the minute but I'm pretty sure they are lots and getting a good career doesn't mean you have to do more studying that would just make it easier and quicker, which obviously isn't an issue for you. for example my dads second head of his department at work when the position for the head came up everyone expected him to get it but he didnt even apply because he new it meant he would have to bring his work home with him.
Reply 16
Getting a job in many ways is something you have to do (of course there are exceptions to this rule). So if you're working you may as well work doing something you enjoy, and things that don't require too much effort tend not to be all that enjoyable.
Reply 17
Why not try to find a 9-5 job that is at least a little varied? I'm in admin temporarily and the idea of doing it forever sends a chill down my spine.

Besides, if that's what you want to do, why bother working so hard at uni???
Reply 18
I would be delighted with an effortless career
Original post by im so academic
Some people enjoy studying further and lifelong learning? :h:

And OP is saying they don't. What's your point?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending