The Student Room Group

Does anyone knit?

I've no idea why, but the idea of knitting a huge gigantic cosy blanket has come into my head. Anyone else knit? Gonna google how to knit...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
everyone I know seems to be knitting at the moment.

I used to be able to do it but haven't for a while, maybe I'll knit a scarf this year
I tried knitting once. My Textiles teacher gave me a yellow ball of wool and told me to knit a small square. What I actually ended up with was something resembling a banana. :frown:
Reply 3
Holy ****, good timing! I spent Christmas with my boyfriend's family and his mother is a knitting fiend. I'd never learnt but had always wanted to and for part of my Christmas present from them, his mom surprised me with a pair of knitting needles and three balls of yarn. I'm now addicted.
Reply 4
i did for a bit- and by that i mean a week, it's easy to pick up :biggrin: most i did was a scarf though

damn i'm sad :smile:
Original post by doubledot
Holy ****, good timing! I spent Christmas with my boyfriend's family and his mother is a knitting fiend. I'd never learnt but had always wanted to and for part of my Christmas present from them, his mom surprised me with a pair of knitting needles and three balls of yarn. I'm now addicted.

I might make a knitting society! I want to knit my boyfriend a gigantic big blanket because in his breaks at work he likes to sit in his car reading books :redface:
I'd love to learn, but I just don't seem to be able to do it :frown: Any tips?
Reply 7
A friend of mine. I sew. Way more fun.

For some reason the only people in school that do stuff like knitting and crocheting are the guys. Another girl and I sew, but that's just minor stuff. :smile:
Original post by amsie/
i did for a bit- and by that i mean a week, it's easy to pick up :biggrin: most i did was a scarf though

damn i'm sad :smile:

I've got no-one to teach me :frown: My grandma used to knit loads but she passed away last year so I have no way of learning apart from youtube!
Reply 9
Yes, my granny does.
Original post by insignificant
I've got no-one to teach me :frown: My grandma used to knit loads but she passed away last year so I have no way of learning apart from youtube!

Snap. My nanna was awesome at knitting, but she's not alive any more and I don't have anyone that's patient enough to teach me :puppyeyes:

I really wish I could knit though, being able to make my own cable knit jumpers would be amazing! :h:
Reply 11
I did in summer, but I was rubbish at it so soon after stopped :tongue: , it is relaxing once you get the gist of it :smile:
I heard that G-Unit. No really, they do.

:holmes:
I crochet but I've been teaching myself to knit properly, I've got as far as stocking stitch...
Original post by Sakura-Chan
Snap. My nanna was awesome at knitting, but she's not alive any more and I don't have anyone that's patient enough to teach me :puppyeyes:

I really wish I could knit though, being able to make my own cable knit jumpers would be amazing! :h:

I'm watching this like :eek:
Original post by nerd123
I did in summer, but I was rubbish at it so soon after stopped :tongue: , it is relaxing once you get the gist of it :smile:

Thats what I'm hoping for! When I get angry I'll just grab my knitting and start knitting furiously! haha
Reply 16
Hmm... this was interesting. I thought a lot more people knitted.
Is textile work a mandatory subject in schools in the UK? The reason for my question is that it is mandatory where I live, so most of us learn how to knit. In France it isn't though, so that makes me a bit curious about how you do it. :smile:
Original post by Skogstokig
Hmm... this was interesting. I thought a lot more people knitted.
Is textile work a mandatory subject in schools in the UK? The reason for my question is that it is mandatory where I live, so most of us learn how to knit. In France it isn't though, so that makes me a bit curious about how you do it. :smile:

Nope. You can choose to do Textiles as part of GCSE DT but that's all. I did textiles but we never did any knitting, just using sewing machines.
Original post by insignificant
I've no idea why, but the idea of knitting a huge gigantic cosy blanket has come into my head. Anyone else knit? Gonna google how to knit...

zomfg your sig is amazing.

Do I knit? ...well...omfg your sig.
Reply 19
Original post by Sakura-Chan
Nope. You can choose to do Textiles as part of GCSE DT but that's all. I did textiles but we never did any knitting, just using sewing machines.

I guess I should consider myself lucky then... I studied it for seven years, which included quite a lot of knitting :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending