The Student Room Group

The age of consent should be lowered to 13.

Poll

Should the age of consent be lowered to 13?

It's stupid and pointless to lock someone up because they had sex with a teenager. It's stupid, teens have sex with teens and adults have sex with adults, so why can't adults have sex with teens? Hell I have several friends who could go to prison for having sex with their 13-17 year old girlfriends, just because they are 18-21 years old. Hell right now I'm interested in a woman who is 17, but we wouldn't legally be able to have sex because I'm 18. My last girlfriend was 13 years old, and that was when I was 18 also. It's just a really stupid rule. There are people who have gone to prison and are registered sex offenders because they had sex with the person who is currently their wife, but they weren't when they had sex. Technically it's not pedophilia if they are 13 or older, so it has nothing to do with pedophilia. In some US states you can get married at 13. It's just a pointless law that puts good people behind bars. At 13 they are a teenager and able to make their own decisions. Who else would like the age of consent to be lowered to 13?

Scroll to see replies

when you were 18 you went out with 13 year old?:curious:
Original post by SaturnVengeance
It's stupid and pointless to lock someone up because they had sex with a teenager. It's stupid, teens have sex with teens and adults have sex with adults, so why can't adults have sex with teens? Hell I have several friends who could go to prison for having sex with their 13-17 year old girlfriends, just because they are 18-21 years old. Hell right now I'm interested in a woman who is 17, but we wouldn't legally be able to have sex because I'm 18. My last girlfriend was 13 years old, and that was when I was 18 also. It's just a really stupid rule. There are people who have gone to prison and are registered sex offenders because they had sex with the person who is currently their wife, but they weren't when they had sex. Technically it's not pedophilia if they are 13 or older, so it has nothing to do with pedophilia. In some US states you can get married at 13. It's just a pointless law that puts good people behind bars. At 13 they are a teenager and able to make their own decisions. Who else would like the age of consent to be lowered to 13?

Italicised text: Eh... age of consent is 16... :fyi:

Bolded text: :lolwut:
Reply 3
It's fine as it is. It's there to protect young people from abuse. In the vast majority of underage sex, no one bats an eyelid because it's not harming anyone. When it is abusive, the law is there to be put to use.

And in any case, most 13 year olds are just really not having sex with 18 year olds.

Also we are in Britain. The age of consent is 16.
What country are you talking about, in the UK there is nothing wrong with an 18yr old and a 17yr old. The 13yr old thing is just perverted though, i mean seriously...girls are just about starting their periods then, they aren't exactly fully grown.
Reply 5
My last girlfriend was 13 years old, and that was when I was 18 also.

:eek: sorry but what do you see in 13 year olds? they're.... kids
Talk about promoting teenage pregnancies/promiscuity.
dont worry, you dont go to jail for people who have under age sex in the UK (both under age that is), youll just get an article about you in the newspaper, get them pregnant more money!
Reply 8
Bah/Thread.
THIS IS UK!
Reply 9
13 is too young. I can see the arguments for lowering it to 15, but feel that it should just be left as it is. 13 however - when you're 13 you really shouldn't be having sex. I know people who were at that age, but it just seems way too young. My baby brother is 13 in May, and he's nowhere near mature enough to have sex with anyone, and he's actually fairly mature for his age, most of the time. 13 is still a child. Lots of 13 year olds still haven't hit puberty and so aren't physically ready for sex, let alone the emotional aspect.
Reply 10
Pedobear approves this thread.
uk sluts
You just admitted to commiting statutory rape.

god your sick my little sister just about to turn 13 and she is still so young and innocent, basically she's still a kid
what is wrong with letting children be children
I'm just not sure I like raping kids though tbh
Man, 13 is just wrong...i look at 13 year olds at the moment and how the hell can you imagine anything sexual with them...my god....as for the argument they look older....exactly, they might look like an age they arent, making 13 still inherently wrong
Original post by alfredjkwak
:eek: sorry but what do you see in 13 year olds? they're.... kids

this...

most of them haven't even gone through puberty fully....
Reply 17
Thirteen is too young, however given that the average age of virginity loss in the UK is 15, despite the legal age being 16, i would support a lowering of the age to 14/15, however i do think that there should be some barriers set, such as nobody below the age of 16 being with nobody older than 19.

While thirteen is young, there are plenty of girls who like the 'older' lads, so it is something that should be looked at. It is also notable that 16 is at the higher end of the global scale, i believe the European legal age is 14 in the majority of countries, South America too.
Age of consent is 16, not 18. :facepalm2:
Reply 19
You're an exploitative reprobate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending