The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jessica.H
Hi, I'm Law at St.Hida's. I was there in the summer and loved it but must admit that I am scared of its previous status as an 'All-Female' college.

why? :smile:

btw i'm st hilda's too, math!
Reply 81
I'm not entirely sure. I guess from what I've seen of all-girl places they're a bit weird and not my thing but my fears are probably irrational and unfounded (it seems I'm no stranger to bad female habits). Anyway, its nice to see somebody else with an offer for Hilda's. I haven't seen too many
Reply 82
Heeey! Biochemistry at Christ Church. :biggrin:
I'm not entirely sure. I guess from what I've seen of all-girl places they're a bit weird and not my thing but my fears are probably irrational and unfounded (it seems I'm no stranger to bad female habits). Anyway, its nice to see somebody else with an offer for Hilda's. I haven't seen too many

it isn't a so big college :biggrin:
when i was there for my interviews there were the same number of girls and boys...
i think that now at st hilda's the ratio is 50-50 (unluckily for me :rolleyes:) :smile:
Reply 84

And here you go - you see one more Hilda's person - me! :-)
Good to know other people from the college!x
Reply 85
Original post by BeritV
And here you go - you see one more Hilda's person - me! :-)
Good to know other people from the college!x

Cool! Well, I feel positively stupid now. It appears the number of Hilda's offer-holders that I know is steadily increasing. What subject are you planning on studying?
I never knew Oxford had its own online shop!

http://www.oushop.com/index.html

I'm tempted to get a jumper :p: Too soon?
Reply 87
Original post by soutioirsim

I figured I might when I meet my conditional offer, it will just make me depressed if I happen to miss it :biggrin:
Reply 88
Original post by flywithemma
History at Keble :smile:

although I'm slightly worried, I haven't had any forms, online or otherwise to fill in :s-smilie:
I got a rejection from New via email then a letter to confirm it, and then a letter from Keble, but all it contained was the 'congrats you've got an offer!' letter, and then a sheet of info on fees...no forms at all for me to send back! :s-smilie:

Don't worry, that's all I have received as well (from Mansfield). We'll hear from them again in the New Year, and then we have till late April (if needed) to confirm on UCAS.
Reply 89

College attire only, remember.
Reply 90

Oooo I like those hoodies :cool:
I think a pen will do for now :p:
Reply 92
Hi, I'm Law at St.Hida's. I was there in the summer and loved it but must admit that I am scared of its previous status as an 'All-Female' college.

Is this Jess Hills from N. Ireland? :smile: It's Fiona (from UNIQ) This will be embarrassing if you have no idea who I am! :redface:
Music at St Anne's :smile:

My brother was so convinced I would get in he bought me the complete range of oxford clothing (at a discount - his business' office is next door to the suppliier for Oxford) - before I got my decision letter =D

It's a good thing I got in =S

I still refuse to wear anything because I have to get my conditional offer still....

Anyone else suddenly wanting to work really hard?
Original post by FamousFourTops
I got a book published in 1868 from my Granddad as well which was pretty cool. But yeah :smile: Aw man I wish I was promised something for getting in :frown: A new laptop would be lovely! How come your friend didn't get his?

Ah, always nice to get old books :biggrin:

He didn't get his laptop because he didn't get his offer :frown:

Original post by Noble.
Hmm, I don't really agree about the whole 'getting gifts for getting into Oxbridge' thing, I just think parents send out the wrong message by saying it.
I agree with you, more or less. I think a gift post-offer is less problematic than the promise of a gift on the condition of an offer, though.

Basically, I feel that recognition of achievement can be important to some people, but if not done carefully can cause issues

Hertford top FTW
Reply 97
Original post by Noble.
Same, that's all I had. I imagine the procedure differs college to college.

/agree

Then again my parents dont really know anything about the whole uni process so when I told them I got an offer from Oxford they would have been just as pleased with Oxford Brookes, which is a good thing I suppose :smile:

That or a I get a lecture about how I should have applied to Durham because its only half an hour from Durham to my front door, but thats just motherly nest keeping kicking in :tongue:

Also: Geography at Christ Church for me.
Any other christ-churching geographering people around?
Original post by RupertTheBear
Hertford top FTW

I SO WANT ONE. Hertfords crest thingy is the best.
Reply 99
Original post by 04ghicks
/agree

Then again my parents dont really know anything about the whole uni process so when I told them I got an offer from Oxford they would have been just as pleased with Oxford Brookes, which is a good thing I suppose :smile:

That or a I get a lecture about how I should have applied to Durham because its only half an hour from Durham to my front door, but thats just motherly nest keeping kicking in :tongue:

Also: Geography at Christ Church for me.
Any other christ-churching geographering people around?

I got that EXACT same question from my parents.

Well, the time's slightly different, but yeah.

Quick Reply