The Student Room Group

Estimated salaries - include private pay?

I just wondered whether the salary brackets given by the NHS include private pay (refering to consultant salaries).
Reply 1
No, they don't.
Original post by Scipio
I just wondered whether the salary brackets given by the NHS include private pay (refering to consultant salaries).

no and not all consultants do private work.
not all specialty areas allow for it
Reply 3
cheers guys

Original post by Jamie
no and not all consultants do private work.
not all specialty areas allow for it

I get that, it only just came to me that those salaries weren't the total incomes for many doctors at the top end of their training so I wanted to clarify that.
I think I read in an article a few years ago that about 50% of consultants do some form of private work, and on average these consultants get around £60,000 from it, this is not including costs though. Of course some earn less and some earn a hell of a lot more, depends on the specialty really.
These figures are slightly out of date though so I imagine that 60k has gone up a little.
Reply 5
Depends what you count as private work - bash cash, GPs notes and crem forms are all private work but they're worth bugger all in the grand scheme of things.

Especially if you include 40% tax
Reply 7
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
Especially if you include 40% tax
I, of course, declare all my extra income but I'm not sure many of my colleagues do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending