The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Offers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ViralRiver
Just to let you know, there's a deadline for putting down your firm/insurance, and if I recall correctly, it's before we get our January results (don't quote me on that though).

How is C4 difficulty-wise? From what we've done in class, it seems easier than C3, but then again we haven't started integration yet and apparently that's a beast. Either way I'm becoming a lot more content with C3 now and I want to get as many marks as possible above 90 so C4 is that much less stressful.

I take it you didn't get an offer telling you no resits or anything? I was quite confused as their min. offer for aero is A*AA + As in all maths modules with no resits. They kind of left that off for me :P .

Are you doing Edexcel M2? What are you using as revision material?

Good luck with your exams :smile: .

I though the deadline was in May, and we got our results in March? I could be wrong though

The majority of C4 is actually a bit easier than C3, because you dont have to do all of the horrible trig. Yeah integration is a bit of a beast, by far the hardest chapter, but its not that bad once you do loads of practice.

No, I was really worried that I would get a 'no resits' offer, but I didnt. Im not sure if they give out offers like that now that the A* has been introduced?

I havent really done any M2 revision yet.... I'll do it tomorrow.

Thanks! Good luck to you too
(edited 13 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 281
I swear this university stuff is going to kill me. When did other people start getting physics offers?
Original post by AlexB1001
Haha, we're just nerds. I love that :biggrin:

Lost lovers aren't nerds!! (well some of them) but Lost lovers are the coolest people on the planet. End of.
Btw did you cry at the finale? I bawled like an overgrown baby :cry2: I didn't think I could stand that kind of emotional upheaval.
Reply 283
Original post by Supernovae
Yeah Im also a bit unsure about my offer. But in March when I get results from January exams at least I will have a better idea of what grades I am going to get, and pick a uni with that in mind. What is your offer out of interest?

and thanks :tongue: :muse:

It's A*(maths)A*(further)AA, which is fine mathswise, I already have the A* in single maths and am pretty confident in further maths. I'm just doubtful as to whether I'm going to get both As in my other subjects (history and german), so am going to have to really put the work in if I want to meet their offer.

I'm only taking two modules in Jan which is annoying, as I have so many exams in June (another advantage of not going to Cambridge is no extra STEP exams in the summer) and have no way to indicate how well I'm doing in non-maths subjects.

Guess it also depends what my other unis decide.
Sorry that looks ridiculously long :rolleyes:
Reply 284
Original post by nikita_atikin
Lost lovers aren't nerds!! (well some of them) but Lost lovers are the coolest people on the planet. End of.
Btw did you cry at the finale? I bawled like an overgrown baby :cry2: I didn't think I could stand that kind of emotional upheaval.

I didn't start crying, but I definitely felt sadness as the show was ending, and the story was getting wrapped up, but also the happiness of the characters who were finishing their journey...again. I normally don't feel for characters, so that was a bit strange.

You should've seen the number of teary-eyed students when Vincent goes over to Jack and lies next to him.

I keep on telling myself that if I somehow get a ridiculous amount of money, I'm going to buy an island, and actually turn it into the Lost island for a themepark.

I hate to say this, but to a certain extent I wanted more answers. I thought the island ending was absolutely fantastic, but I thought there were a lot of stones left unturned (having said that, there is a Lost encyclopedia now!)

Are we going to start an Imperial Lost club or what?
Original post by Cyco
I didn't start crying, but I definitely felt sadness as the show was ending, and the story was getting wrapped up, but also the happiness of the characters who were finishing their journey...again. I normally don't feel for characters, so that was a bit strange.

You should've seen the number of teary-eyed students when Vincent goes over to Jack and lies next to him.

I keep on telling myself that if I somehow get a ridiculous amount of money, I'm going to buy an island, and actually turn it into the Lost island for a themepark.

That Vincent bit was SO sad! I cried for that too :frown: Vincent beside Jack was how the whole thing started and that's how it ended so it was like an inevitable circle. So poignant, it was sad :frown:
I don't think there's a Lost theme park but my Lost crazy friend told me that they've done a replica of the plane and parts of this island somewhere in Hawaii I think. We wanted to go there on holiday but I don't think we could afford it :s-smilie: A replica smoke monster would be immense!

Original post by AlexB1001
I hate to say this, but to a certain extent I wanted more answers. I thought the island ending was absolutely fantastic, but I thought there were a lot of stones left unturned (having said that, there is a Lost encyclopedia now!)

Are we going to start an Imperial Lost club or what?

I wanted so many more answers too but I liked how they left it anyway. All of them being dead was kind of expected but it left so much to the imagination. Tbh that Lost encyclopedia is a spoiler fest so I never went on it during the series. I don't want it to ruin anything for me either, I'd much rather imagine stuff :smile: I know you can do a degree in a Lost university now and get certified. Maybe we can award these qualifications at the Lost club we start at Imperial? :wink:

I'm such a Lost freak. I should go and get a life and get a job.
Reply 287
Just to let you know, there's a deadline for putting down your firm/insurance, and if I recall correctly, it's before we get our January results (don't quote me on that though).

How is C4 difficulty-wise? From what we've done in class, it seems easier than C3, but then again we haven't started integration yet and apparently that's a beast. Either way I'm becoming a lot more content with C3 now and I want to get as many marks as possible above 90 so C4 is that much less stressful.

I take it you didn't get an offer telling you no resits or anything? I was quite confused as their min. offer for aero is A*AA + As in all maths modules with no resits. They kind of left that off for me :P .

Are you doing Edexcel M2? What are you using as revision material?

Good luck with your exams :smile: .

Nah. Checked on UCAS track, and they said we have until some time in May.
As for M2 (sorry for butting in), I'm doing past papers.

Anyone doing S2 here?
Original post by Dark-Myth
Nah. Checked on UCAS track, and they said we have until some time in May.
As for M2 (sorry for butting in), I'm doing past papers.

Anyone doing S2 here?

Ahh okay thanks.

Anyone have any reasonably hard edexcel c3 questions?
That Vincent bit was SO sad! I cried for that too :frown: Vincent beside Jack was how the whole thing started and that's how it ended so it was like an inevitable circle. So poignant, it was sad :frown:
I don't think there's a Lost theme park but my Lost crazy friend told me that they've done a replica of the plane and parts of this island somewhere in Hawaii I think. We wanted to go there on holiday but I don't think we could afford it :s-smilie: A replica smoke monster would be immense!

I wanted so many more answers too but I liked how they left it anyway. All of them being dead was kind of expected but it left so much to the imagination. Tbh that Lost encyclopedia is a spoiler fest so I never went on it during the series. I don't want it to ruin anything for me either, I'd much rather imagine stuff :smile: I know you can do a degree in a Lost university now and get certified. Maybe we can award these qualifications at the Lost club we start at Imperial? :wink:

I'm such a Lost freak. I should go and get a life and get a job.

Haha. How about a marathon night... or should I say week? There are literally over a hundred hours of Lost.

By the way, are you going to firm Imperial?
is it...too early to accept the offer?
Reply 291
Original post by maneki_neko
is it...too early to accept the offer?

You don't get to reply to any of your offers yet - not until you've had all 5 unis update their decisions on Track anyway.

*However*, if you've already received the offers you're sure you want, you can cancel any outstanding choices that haven't given you a decision yet. Then you'll get the option to firm (and insurance) whichever ones you want. ^^

Be sure you want to do this, though; once you withdraw from a choice, you can't reverse your decision!

Official info here: UCAS page
Original post by arianex
You don't get to reply to any of your offers yet - not until you've had all 5 unis update their decisions on Track anyway.

*However*, if you've already received the offers you're sure you want, you can cancel any outstanding choices that haven't given you a decision yet. Then you'll get the option to firm (and insurance) whichever ones you want. ^^

Be sure you want to do this, though; once you withdraw from a choice, you can't reverse your decision!

Official info here: UCAS page

well thank you very much! what's your offer for? sorry, i could have a look and find out ...but...its 2am!
Reply 293
well thank you very much! what's your offer for? sorry, i could have a look and find out ...but...its 2am!

Tsk tsk, lazy :tongue:

I jest - I'm a future Biomed Engineer, they want 3As for the MEng. :wink:
Original post by arianex
Tsk tsk, lazy :tongue:

I jest - I'm a future Biomed Engineer, they want 3As for the MEng. :wink:

crikey...what does that actually involve as a subject? (could look it up but...you know)
omg omg omg omg omg!!!! i'm bored with nothing to do, help me guys <3
Reply 296
crikey...what does that actually involve as a subject? (could look it up but...you know)

Hah, I get that question all the time! XD

Basically it's engineering principles applied to solve problems in medicine - so we're like your traditional engineers, but with the extra "function" to work out kinks in healthcare, because the course covers so many aspects of science. Needle-free injections, prosthetic limbs, improvements to diagnostic instruments (from CT to fMRI)...those are the sorts of the things biomed engineers develop. ^^

But because we're also trained in traditional engineering, there *are* people who become traditional engineers after they graduate. And of course, there are some people who end up being non-engineers (they go work in the City, cough xD) or go into graduate medicine courses.

(This is the tl/dr version; if you're keen on knowing more, I explained what biomed engineering was to a prospective student in Yr 12 the other day - you can read the post here.)
Original post by arianex
Hah, I get that question all the time! XD

Basically it's engineering principles applied to solve problems in medicine - so we're like your traditional engineers, but with the extra "function" to work out kinks in healthcare, because the course covers so many aspects of science. Needle-free injections, prosthetic limbs, improvements to diagnostic instruments (from CT to fMRI)...those are the sorts of the things biomed engineers develop. ^^

But because we're also trained in traditional engineering, there *are* people who become traditional engineers after they graduate. And of course, there are some people who end up being non-engineers (they go work in the City, cough xD) or go into graduate medicine courses.

(This is the tl/dr version; if you're keen on knowing more, I explained what biomed engineering was to a prospective student in Yr 12 the other day - you can read the post here.)

that actually sounds interesting! don't understand how someone could go from doing something like that to 'working in the city' though...wouldn't it feel like betraying your subject?! or am i just being naive?
Reply 298
that actually sounds interesting! don't understand how someone could go from doing something like that to 'working in the city' though...wouldn't it feel like betraying your subject?! or am i just being naive?

"Betraying"? :s-smilie: Yes, "naive" is probably it; because there are quite a few people out there who don't do/get into jobs that are 100% the subject they did at uni; but have some relevance. (My dad is one example.) Just because you studied engineering doesn't mean "you HAVE to be an engineer, or your character = FAIL"...

Yes, an engineering degree *is* a professional/vocational degree, much like medicine (as in one that preps you directly for a job) - but at the end of the day, it's still knowledge and you're free to apply it however you wish; not necessarily in the engineering realm. This applies to most degrees by the way, even medicine! We know most med students become medics, but not all do - they end up writing for med journals/health publications, etc. Similarly, the majority of engineering *graduates* become engineers, but not all do.

You do quite a bit of Maths in the Biomed Eng degree anyway (kind of a given, it's Engineering!), and these jobs in the City are usually the ones that favor numeracy. Many people also end up doing management and consultancy - okay, these are mostly in healthcare/biotech companies; but again, it's not straight-up engineering. And even if it wasn't in the field of healthcare, you develop skills during your course (it's those design projects you've got to thank for management skills :tongue:) which can be applied in...well, just about loads of things!

It's not so much "betraying" (sorry, this usage of the word cracks me up :tongue:) as it is deciding "oh, perhaps I don't want to be a straight-up engineer - this other job is more my thing, and my knowledge from the degree will be put to use too."
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 299
omg omg omg omg omg!!!! i'm bored with nothing to do, help me guys <3

Ehe. :tongue:

By the way, here's something that might interest you - the deadline for firming/insurancing offers isn't in March :tongue: It's the universities and colleges who *should* decide by March 31 for you to reply by May 5. :smile:

Thank you for clearing that up, UCAS! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending