The Student Room Group

Why has Nobody Been to The Moon for Over Forty Years?

Scroll to see replies

There is small 'dust-storms' which are very different to on Earth, and although very fine 'sand' it is, it started cutting the suits and that =die.

They did a lot of research to try to get the dust to simply 'fall off' in a way, they ended up with looking at I think it's called the locus leaf, which lets water just fall off it without staying on it at all
Reply 41
Damn lactose intolerance
Reply 42
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
So rather than tell me something practical that has resulted from their experiments you tell me to stop being simple minded... :rolleyes:

I don't understand half the research that goes on at Cambridge, or the practical applications of those discoveries, does that mean funding should be cut? I know enough to know you rarely get instant tangible results in science that Joe Blogs is going to notice.

It's simple minded because you seem to think research always creates instant tangible results.
Because it's not worth paying a visit.I would rather go Mars or titan.
Original post by Arekkusu
What, haven't you seen A Grand Day Out?

THIS! Hahah!
We can now make our own cheese :smile:
Reply 46
This is basically my EPQ. :biggrin:
It's hugely expensive and resources are being channeled towards Mars missions instead. The moon doesn't have that much to offer anymore
Reply 48
Original post by Ewan
The last lunar landing was in December 1972. But anyway, it's really expensive. NASA was planning to go with its "Constellation" program but it was cancelled not long ago :s-smilie: They need to set up a lunar base to be honest, it would be a much more cost effective way of discovering more about long term travel in space, in the long run at least.

Kinda pointless now. A lunar base really doesn't make space travel that much more cost effective. Carbon nanotubes on the other hand could, if used to create a space elevator, which would mean that space travel would be much, much cheaper. The technology isn't there yet, but it's coming along.

As to the question in the thread, we went is the moon for political reasons. Now it's been done there is little reason to go. We learnt almost everything we need to know about the moon the first few times, and anything else can be done by robot missions. There is just simply no point in going again, or at least no reason worth the price.
Because there's naff all to do when you get there.
Original post by accesstohe
Did man really visit the moon in 1969? Why haven't they been since?

because its a waste of time and money.
Reply 51
Because we don't have the technology. Never did.
And what experiments are you talking about?

It's difficult to see a practical application for them if they can only be carried out with very low gravity... :confused:

Gavity is a constant on earth. no matter what you do you cant stop it.

Take a plant on earth and its roots grow down. is that due to gravity, or moisture gradients..?
Take it into space and you eliminate one variable.

thats how experiments in space help - you have taken out a variable you simply cant remove on earth and so can see the effects of other variables far better.
-insert one liner to try and seem witty-
Industrial action.
Already got enough cheese from the last trips
Original post by Jamie
Gavity is a constant on earth. no matter what you do you cant stop it.

Take a plant on earth and its roots grow down. is that due to gravity, or moisture gradients..?
Take it into space and you eliminate one variable.

thats how experiments in space help - you have taken out a variable you simply cant remove on earth and so can see the effects of other variables far better.

Who the **** cares? :lolwut:
Who the **** cares? :lolwut:

those weird people that come up with crazy things like crops that produce 5x more food, microprocessors 100x faster than the year before, and pixelated screens that are a couple of cm thick.

They are called scientists, and scinetific experiments are how they come up with these things.
The Americans discovered there wasn't any oil up there.
Original post by Jamie
those weird people that come up with crazy things like crops that produce 5x more food, microprocessors 100x faster than the year before, and pixelated screens that are a couple of cm thick.

They are called scientists, and scinetific experiments are how they come up with these things.

Proof please.

I hadn't heard of any "scinetific experiments" that had resulted in that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending