The Student Room Group

How to fill the gaps in A Level maths knowledge(preparing for STEP)?

I have been doing STEP questions, while I am getting use to the style of questions. I have also noticed that there are some gaps in my knowledge. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to fill these gaps?

Thanks
Reply 1
There are a few ways really.

One way is to go through your textbook(s) and read the chapters that precede the exercises. Then you can see how results are derived, which isn't usually shown in class and which is useful in STEP-style proofs. Another way is to go through as many exercises as you can in your textbooks, and then when you become stuck you can find out where you're stuck and unstick yourself using the book. Yet another way is to go through loads of STEP past papers and, instead of necessarily doing each question, at least look at it and try to identify the methods needed to do it. If you're unfamiliar with any of these methods, look through your textbook, poke around the internet, ask on here, etc... until you find a way to do it. Then do it :p: Thinking about it, the last method I mentioned is probably better than the first two.

There are also other ways to patch up your knowledge... the possibilities are endless!
Reply 2
Original post by nuodai
There are a few ways really.

One way is to go through your textbook(s) and read the chapters that precede the exercises. Then you can see how results are derived, which isn't usually shown in class and which is useful in STEP-style proofs. Another way is to go through as many exercises as you can in your textbooks, and then when you become stuck you can find out where you're stuck and unstick yourself using the book. Yet another way is to go through loads of STEP past papers and, instead of necessarily doing each question, at least look at it and try to identify the methods needed to do it. If you're unfamiliar with any of these methods, look through your textbook, poke around the internet, ask on here, etc... until you find a way to do it. Then do it :p: Thinking about it, the last method I mentioned is probably better than the first two.

There are also other ways to patch up your knowledge... the possibilities are endless!

Thanks for the reply
Reply 4

what a site, rep to you.
Reply 5
Original post by methusaleh
what a site, rep to you.

thanks!

that guys the only reason I actually understand what I'm studying at the moment! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest