The Student Room Group

Scots ask for 'tagging' of alcohol bottles

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zero 1

Original post by Zero 1
you really think that resources will be wasted going after someone who they will probably never find, then trying to prove that they actually committed a crime? it is more viable to make it the responsibility of the seller. again though it is the government intervening in the wrong way and place to save face, solving the problem would decrease tax revenue.

Though I essentially agree with you, they will NOT be able to fine the seller for this.

Its just a stupid idea and if they even seriously think about implementing it, they will demonstrate to us how inept and incompetent they are.
Reply 21
SO STUPID. Why don;t they realize that if kids can't drink a 6 pack of beers in a field or at a party to chill out, they'll just go and buy an 1/8th. It's fair to say that the rise of pre 18 drug abuse, especially legal highs and cannabis is because it's so hard for anyone under 18 to get alcohol and so easy to get drugs.
Like others have said, it's unworkable, plus, I can only imagine how high the costs involved would be - and these costs will only be passed to the consumer. Once again, the average 'casual' drinker will be punished.

However, typical of Labour (and most politicians), they're not tackling the root problem, but snipping at the branches. I accept that underage drinking, and drink related crimes, are proportionally higher in certain areas of Scotland. But, without sounding patronizing, most of this is down to social deprivation and the lack of seizable opportunities as well as education on underage binge drinking. How about you address those issues first?
Reply 23
Original post by Steph90
1) All this assumes there is CCTV in use at the store
2) It also assumes the CCTV is of a decent quality and admissable in court
3) It also assumes the person buying the alcohol will immediatebly be identifiable.

It won't work and even if it did: a) its pointless and b) its a waste of resources/time/money.

Never known a shop not to have some form of CCTV. Even if it didnt, there's likely to be other shops that do and have CCTV going out into the street.

Having more threat that you could be hunted down and fined would work though. At the moment, there's not really any punishment for buying alcohol for underaged. If i was risking a 500 fine or something, i wouldnt even risk it a little bit.

I agree it's probably a waste of resources...but even doing it in a few places that have the worst underaged drinking might help. And word would spread of it.

Can't think of anything else they could do to try and cut underaged drinking tbh
Scotland once again affirming its UK number one possition in crap law making.
Scotland's Contributions To Society:

* Kilts
* Steam Hammers
* Alcohol Tagging

Thanks guys <_<
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Should be the parents of the wee bastards who are fined.
Reply 27
Original post by AshleyT

Original post by AshleyT
Never known a shop not to have some form of CCTV. Even if it didnt, there's likely to be other shops that do and have CCTV going out into the street.

Having more threat that you could be hunted down and fined would work though. At the moment, there's not really any punishment for buying alcohol for underaged. If i was risking a 500 fine or something, i wouldnt even risk it a little bit.

I agree it's probably a waste of resources...but even doing it in a few places that have the worst underaged drinking might help. And word would spread of it.

Can't think of anything else they could do to try and cut underaged drinking tbh

Buying alcohol for youngsters is already a criminal offence. I think the maximum fine is £5,000 (i could be wrong), but i'm 99.9% sure it is already an offence.

The fact of the matter is though, that these kind of laws simply do not work. The police have more important things to deal with and the majority of people know that they will never get caught. Its not normally strangers as well, its usually older people from the neighbourhood that you happen to know that usually buy alcohol/cigs for you when you are young.
Reply 28
Original post by Greenlaner

Original post by Greenlaner
Scotland once again affirming its UK number one possition in crap law making.

I disagree, I think England is way far ahead of Scotland when it comes to crap law making. Especially under New Labour.
Reply 29
Original post by Steph90
Buying alcohol for youngsters is already a criminal offence. I think the maximum fine is £5,000 (i could be wrong), but i'm 99.9% sure it is already an offence.

The fact of the matter is though, that these kind of laws simply do not work. The police have more important things to deal with and the majority of people know that they will never get caught. Its not normally strangers as well, its usually older people from the neighbourhood that you happen to know that usually buy alcohol/cigs for you when you are young.

Mmm, in my area it's normlly strangers.

Well i suppose we'll have to wait and see if there's any improvement =)...it's only in a few areas in scotland so it shouldnt cost too much atm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending