The Student Room Group

<12 month Masters courses? / starting in Aug?

Is there such a thing as a masters course that doesn't run from September to September? I have just realised that I will effectively be delaying my life by a year after my masters as I will have to wait for summer entry into a US grad school program the next year.

I need a masters lasting less than 12 months or beginning in June/July/August - do they exist????
Reply 1
I VERY much doubt it, and if there are they will be limited subjects. There is a reason everyone starts at the same time, it's not feasible to have people starting whenever they want, for practical reasons.

I don't know whether distance learning complies to the same rules regarding when courses start though.
Original post by flowerpower_
Is there such a thing as a masters course that doesn't run from September to September? I have just realised that I will effectively be delaying my life by a year after my masters as I will have to wait for summer entry into a US grad school program the next year.

I need a masters lasting less than 12 months or beginning in June/July/August - do they exist????

I don't know when summer entry(whatever it means) start, but you don't need your degree to be awarded as long as you have final transcript (some UK uni accept without dissertation grade) before the starting date. I think you will have to provide a letter from your institution saying that you will be awarded you degree at the date xxx and maybe a letter from your dissertation supervisor that even if your dissertation is not formally graded yet, in regards to what he saw so far the grade will range between yy and zz.

They actually know degree run from September to September or in some country from October to October. I'm doing a master in France, got accepted in several master in UK and they don't care that my program run from October to October even if the course start in September. As long as you provide them with the document who meets the offer it's ok.
Reply 3
Most postgrad programmes start in either September/October or January, but I cant see it being a massive problem for your US application.
Reply 4
When I was researching programs I noticed that some of Cambridge's History MPhil programs were 9 months long, but they seem to be more the exception than the rule in terms of length.

Depending on the program, the last few months are spent writing your dissertation and some places will let you mail in your dissertation if you can't hand it in in person. I'm not sure though, about the logistics of whether you'd be allowed to begin a program in the US while you're still enrolled in a different program in the UK.

Something you might want to take into account is that when you're submitting applications for US programs you may or may not be able to get recommendation letters from people teaching your masters course depending on when assessed work is submitted, especially if the first thing you submit is due after Christmas. Not sure how much of a concern that is for you.
Reply 5
Original post by LysFromParis
I don't know when summer entry(whatever it means) start, but you don't need your degree to be awarded as long as you have final transcript (some UK uni accept without dissertation grade) before the starting date. I think you will have to provide a letter from your institution saying that you will be awarded you degree at the date xxx and maybe a letter from your dissertation supervisor that even if your dissertation is not formally graded yet, in regards to what he saw so far the grade will range between yy and zz.

They actually know degree run from September to September or in some country from October to October. I'm doing a master in France, got accepted in several master in UK and they don't care that my program run from October to October even if the course start in September. As long as you provide them with the document who meets the offer it's ok.

So you're going to be starting your course when you're still enrolled on another? And they're okay with that? Does that mean you're going to be working on your dissertation still while beginning your new course?

So basically, I need to check:
- that CSU (in the US) will let me enroll when still enrolled on an MSc
- that my UK institute will let me mail my dissertation in
- that my UK institute will let me begin a phD while still enrolled
- that my UK institute will provide letters of recommendation by December

Also there is then the practical issue of writing my dissertation while in another country, beginning a phD! aaaargh
Original post by flowerpower_
So you're going to be starting your course when you're still enrolled on another? And they're okay with that? Does that mean you're going to be working on your dissertation still while beginning your new course?

So basically, I need to check:
- that CSU (in the US) will let me enroll when still enrolled on an MSc
- that my UK institute will let me mail my dissertation in
- that my UK institute will let me begin a phD while still enrolled
- that my UK institute will provide letters of recommendation by December

Also there is then the practical issue of writing my dissertation while in another country, beginning a phD! aaaargh

Deadline for final dissertation is mid-September I think. I plan to give earlier, but nothing out of common sense force me to do so. You can start to work on your dissertation earlier, if you explain your situation and you have already a supervisor, there is no reason to him to complain about you starting to work on it earlier.

Edinburgh and Imperial were ok. Different country have different starting time, it's mostly administrative matters, most offers I got is just to be awarded my degree or to achieve results under my standard.

But if you want to be sure e-mail the admission office as I did, but I see no reason why they should not be ok with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending