The Student Room Group

What’s something you know you do differently than most people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Logi
I'm from London and I say arsed.. :tongue: To me it just seems to be part of the tradition of throwing in a random swear word for no apparent reason. How exactly does **** off make any sense for example?

I have been reading this thread and thought I was the only one....I say 'can't be arsed' and I am from London.....

I FEEL SO CONFUSED?!?!? I HAVE NEVER HEARD ANYONE SAY CAN'T BE ASKED??and I have never been up north....

Nothing makes sense to me anymore...:confused:
Reply 281
Original post by Lewroll
The only reason it sounds odd to you is because you are used to hearing 'arsed'. The same reason 'arsed' sounds odd to me, because ive only ever heard 'asked'.
It sounds weird to me because there is no other phrase where 'arse' is used as a verb, whereas 'ask' is much more common in use as a verb.
'Can't be arsed' means nothing in english and I wouldnt be surprised if the lexical change occured from pronounciation or perhaps being misheard. Or i may be completely wrong lol. Asked just seems to make more sense to me, hey every one says it in london :biggrin:

I used to think that 'can't be asked' was the original phrase, but then I got into an argument about it with my dad because he heard me say it and said I was being rude. Anyway, I went and looked it up in the OED (I use it to procrastinate sometimes) and it doesn't even have 'can't be asked' in it, but has 'can't be arsed' going back to 1988.

Most slang doesn't really make proper sense if you think about it. I think people just heard it being originally said as 'arsed' and decided to make it more polite, or just misheard.

Meh. Doesn't really matter either way, just thought you might be interested!
Original post by Peachykeen09
button? huhh?

Yes I do! :cool: but sometimes the spanish accent kicks in.
it was youuu!

It was me what?
Original post by blueray
It was me what?

oi never mind
oi never mind

No go on please tell me :wink:
Original post by blueray
No go on please tell me :wink:

You know haha Mr. ending my sentences with a :wink:
You know haha Mr. ending my sentences with a :wink:

Do you? You sure you have the right person?
Original post by blueray
Do you? You sure you have the right person?

oh so it's like that? :cool:
Original post by Chayne
Once a bottle of fizzy drink is nearly empty, I refuse to drink the rest.
I get another bottle and avoid it until someone else drinks it.

I do that :biggrin:
Original post by HumanNature1992
Ketchup with Pizza? Anyone else?

Ketchup with practically everything! :biggrin:
oh so it's like that? :cool:

lol yeah i dont know what your on about
Original post by blueray
lol yeah i dont know what your on about

I thought you were the one who asked a question on my formspring mahh bad
Original post by Gemma2010
Loads of people speak englisj, that don't even live in Europe... The whole of North America basically/Australia/UK/ rep. Ireland and that's as a first language

I think he meant spanish or mandarin being the most common language in the world...

And there are far more people in Asia then there are in Europe

And the Republic of Ireland is in Europe... They even use the Euro and everthing :redface:

Just sayin' :cool:
I thought you were the one who asked a question on my formspring mahh bad

Thought so... anyway nice to meet u :tongue:
Original post by blueray
Thought so... anyway nice to meet u :tongue:

samesies
Reply 295
I eat my main meals with a spoon and my dessert with a knife and fork.:gangster:
samesies

whats it like in mas?
I CAN NOT go to bed and just go to sleep straight away. I can fall asleep straight away if I want, but I always just listen to music, read, play ds or something for about 10-30 minutes EVERY night, whether I go to bed at ten or four in the morning.

The only exception to this is when I'm extraordinarily ill, or if I have drunk too much and am completely off my face.

If I put my ipod on shuffle I can go from cannibal corpse to tangerine dream, to leona lewis, to Sunn O))) to Beethoven to David Bowie to Howard Shore to Lady Gaga to Napalm Death and not even bat an eyelid.
Original post by blueray
whats it like in mas?

sometimes it's rad and sometimes it ****ing suckss !
but uhhh it's similar to england cause of the weather and stuff and yeah
but uhh it's not like i want to live here cause i don't
i can't wait to move..im going to travel all over esp england :colondollar: :cool:
sometimes it's rad and sometimes it ****ing suckss !
but uhhh it's similar to england cause of the weather and stuff and yeah
but uhh it's not like i want to live here cause i don't
i can't wait to move..im going to travel all over esp england :colondollar: :cool:

I live in eng

Quick Reply

Latest