The Student Room Group

Musician tour earnings released - more than footballers pay! (gasp)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12088397

Rock band Bon Jovi's The Circle show was the highest-earning tour of 2010, taking $201.1m (£130.7m) worldwide, according to music trade publication Pollstar.

Australian rock band AC/DC landed at number two for the second year in a row, with tickets sales from their recent tour totalling $177m (£115m).

U2, which was the top worldwide act in 2009, came in at third place, with ticket sales totalling $160.9m (£104.6m).

Lady Gaga followed in fourth place, with Metallica at number five.

Gaga, who has become well known for her flamboyant outfits, earned $133.6 million (£86.8 million) from her tour.

Lady Gaga earned ~£85m just from her one tour this year. This is about 8 times more than the very highest paid footballers earn.

Why do people whine incessantly about footballers when many other people (CEOs, athletes, musicians) earn lots of money as well? I don't see why footballers get so much flak and they don't. I think they all deserve it :smile: (the money, not the flak!)

Remember this £85m is just from this tour, and not from all record sales, sponsorship, etc. I think she deserves it but I wonder why people overlook this but moan about Rooney earning way less than 1/10th of this amount.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
musicians (usually) deserve it

footballers don't
Reply 2
Original post by Pheylan
musicians (usually) deserve it

footballers don't

Why? This is exactly what I mean, how do you determine who does 'deserve' it and who doesn't? If I had to choose between having no music to listen to or no football to watch for the rest of time, I would choose to watch football, every single time.
I want to defend the musicians here but really can't find an argument. The fact is they're all over paid.

Those acts charge ridiculous amounts of money for their gigs. It's stupid. But then when people are downloading their work left, right and centre for free I guess that's what happens.

Good thing the artists I like mostly charge respectable prices for their shows.
Also just because Bon Jovi made £130.7m on tour, doesn't mean that's the figure they actually get. Consider all the costs of going on a world tour. The venues will take a cut of that figure, all the roadies and then what's left is shared out between the musicians.
Reply 5
I think they are all overpaid, but I also think that musicians probably work harder for it. They are constantly on the road and that must be really hard for their family life, and most footballers don't have that kind of lifestyle.
Reply 6
No one "deserves" anything really. They've done really well to be able to make that money, you wont see Gaga werriting baht whether she deserves it or not, will ya? She'll be out spending it on something nuts, probably. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Panda Bear
Also just because Bon Jovi made £130.7m on tour, doesn't mean that's the figure they actually get. Consider all the costs of going on a world tour. The venues will take a cut of that figure, all the roadies and then what's left is shared out between the musicians.

That's why I used Lady Gaga as an example, she is a solo artist. Sure she will have to give some to her agents, but so do footballers and boxers. Also this is only the income from that one tour, all the music sales income (a large amount of money!) is on top of this, and sponsorships/endorsements. It's many times what the top footballers earn, maybe 10 times more than the very highest paid footballers, and yet people constantly moan about footballers being 'overpaid' yet never really mention musicians.

Lots of other athletes earn more than footballers, as well, but it's the footballers who get the flak. I am trying to find out why.
Reply 8
Pay footballers musicians wages.......
Original post by M_E_X

Original post by M_E_X
That's why I used Lady Gaga as an example, she is a solo artist. Sure she will have to give some to her agents, but so do footballers and boxers. Also this is only the income from that one tour, all the music sales income (a large amount of money!) is on top of this, and sponsorships/endorsements. It's many times what the top footballers earn, maybe 10 times more than the very highest paid footballers, and yet people constantly moan about footballers being 'overpaid' yet never really mention musicians.

Lots of other athletes earn more than footballers, as well, but it's the footballers who get the flak. I am trying to find out why.

The majority of Lady Gaga's income will come from touring. It's not just agents that will get paid. There's all the backing musicians, dancers and the cost of all the production. (Considering her shows are quite extravagant, I imagine this to be quite high.)

Also, footballers earn loads from sponsorships and endorsements too.
Piracy is killing music.

BUHU METALLICA. : (
Reply 11
Original post by Panda Bear
The majority of Lady Gaga's income will come from touring. It's not just agents that will get paid. There's all the backing musicians, dancers and the cost of all the production. (Considering her shows are quite extravagant, I imagine this to be quite high.)

Also, footballers earn loads from sponsorships and endorsements too.

I don't want to get in to an argument about how much she takes home vs say Steven Gerrard, but her amount will be several times more, right?

Why is this justified when footballers (who earn several times less) are often criticized for being overpaid? I don't think either works harder than the other necessarily, footballers have to train hard and play games when the fixture list demands, compared to singers who can release albums 'as and when'.
Stupid capitalismssszzz!!!111
Original post by Lemons
They are constantly on the road and that must be really hard for their family life, and most footballers don't have that kind of lifestyle.

:lol::lol::lol:

because footballers have the luxury of playing at home EVERY week

because Messi, Ronaldo, et al never lifted a finger to get to where they are right now and never practiced day in day out from the age of 8 or whatever

seriously
Reply 14
None of them are overpaid... that's so bloody stupid. Footballers and musicians pull in millions of people to matches or concerts... that means millions for their companies, employment and stimulation of the economy.

However, I don't think they "deserve" it... but their pay IS justified.
Ignorance is not sexy.
Reply 16
Original post by Lemons
I think they are all overpaid, but I also think that musicians probably work harder for it. They are constantly on the road and that must be really hard for their family life, and most footballers don't have that kind of lifestyle.

And footballer's aren't? Have you read about the amount of homesickness players get? Players have to leave there home country and there family behind to come play in the best leagues in the world.
Reply 17
Original post by M_E_X

I'm not disagreeing with you, I agree that all these people deserve what they get, they've earned it. But which athletes earn more than footballers exactly?
Reply 18
But piracy is killing music :nopity:
Original post by M_E_X

Original post by M_E_X
I don't want to get in to an argument about how much she takes home vs say Steven Gerrard, but her amount will be several times more, right?

Why is this justified when footballers (who earn several times less) are often criticized for being overpaid? I don't think either works harder than the other necessarily, footballers have to train hard and play games when the fixture list demands, compared to singers who can release albums 'as and when'.

I think footballers are overpaid. Ticket prices are too high. There's just too much money in football in my opinion.

Musicians offer a product just as McDonalds do. If they're overpaid, that's because **** loads of people have bought what they've offered. I think the massive stars in music charge way too much for their concerts at the moment.

But then I guess you could argue the same for footballers. But I think the think that irritates most people about them is that they can put in crap performances or sit on the bench all season and will still pick up their £30k a week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending