The Student Room Group

Musician tour earnings released - more than footballers pay! (gasp)

Scroll to see replies

I frankly don't care. Musicians spend hours moving themselves between places which is tiring, then they've got 2 hours of high powered shows to do every night, sound check and maintaining a life with their family and loved ones. They have to keep themselves at the top of their game so can't injure themselves or lose their voices or whatever and often they go on stage with problems when doctors tell them not to. Footballers have a restricted diet, some training at regular times and a football match every now and again. It's not like they've got a particularly disrupted lifestyle and if they get injured it's not the end of the world for them because they've got replacements. Footballers also do not have the massive trouble with massive initial costs of recording albums and so on that often hampers new musicians from breaking through to the 'mainstream'.

As well as that on a more personal point of view, I enjoy music and don't mind paying to see a gig which I enjoy. I couldn't care less for football and having watched some games footballers it's clear that some footballers are lazy, rude and unfit.
Reply 21
Music, like football, is winner takes all. For every Lady Gaga and Steven Gerard there are 10,000 losers on the scrap head fooling themselves they will be the next best thing. These are scalable jobs in which the best do an identical job to the worst, but get larger crowds. It isn't really any extra work for Lady Gaga to play in Wembley Stadium compared to a local pub. The high risk should garner higher pay for those who make it... Nothing stops you chasing the big pay checks but you probably know in your heart you will never make it so you stick on your 12k a year job.
Original post by Pheylan
musicians (usually) deserve it

footballers don't

No.

Oh and I don't know whose post it was, but here's the list of 2008's top earning athletes, conveniently in the form of a Sporcle quiz :biggrin:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/highearnathletes.php
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Deshi
And footballer's aren't? Have you read about the amount of homesickness players get? Players have to leave there home country and there family behind to come play in the best leagues in the world.

O I didn't think of the leaving home for good part. That can't be great.

Original post by mr-breaker
:lol::lol::lol:

because footballers have the luxury of playing at home EVERY week

because Messi, Ronaldo, et al never lifted a finger to get to where they are right now and never practiced day in day out from the age of 8 or whatever

seriously

I meant that people like Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna etc. do huge world tours where they are constantly moving round countries and then on to the next. They don't just travel up and down the UK for EPL matches with the occasional foray into Europe for champions league/whatever. Having to travel from London up to Newcastle or wherever on the weekend isn't really that big a deal imo.
Original post by hothedgehog
As well as that on a more personal point of view, I enjoy music and don't mind paying to see a gig which I enjoy. I couldn't care less for football and having watched some games footballers it's clear that some footballers are lazy, rude and unfit.

You could say the exact same thing but the other way around. People pay to watch games, and maybe some people don't want to go see live music. It's clear that some musicians are massive tossers as well...
Original post by M_E_X
Why? This is exactly what I mean, how do you determine who does 'deserve' it and who doesn't? If I had to choose between having no music to listen to or no football to watch for the rest of time, I would choose to watch football, every single time.

+1

Keep up the good fight and keep fighting the TSR football haters
Reply 26
I heard that Lady Gaga had been bankrupt three times, even with those enormous pay checks she spends more than she can afford on outfits/props/accommodation.

I don't know what this has to do with this thread .... :erm:, but it seemed relevant :dontknow:
Reply 27
Original post by Panda Bear
I think footballers are overpaid. Ticket prices are too high. There's just too much money in football in my opinion.

Musicians offer a product just as McDonalds do. If they're overpaid, that's because **** loads of people have bought what they've offered. I think the massive stars in music charge way too much for their concerts at the moment.

But then I guess you could argue the same for footballers. But I think the think that irritates most people about them is that they can put in crap performances or sit on the bench all season and will still pick up their £30k a week.

Singers are exactly the same. A concert is often more expensive than a football ticket, and you're just getting one singer for that (or one group), compared to 22 players in football. A singer could be crap as well, but like in football, if they're crap they don't get much money for long.

Original post by Mithra
I'm not disagreeing with you, I agree that all these people deserve what they get, they've earned it. But which athletes earn more than footballers exactly?

Lots do. F1 drivers, some tennis players. In 1997 Mike Tyson got $30m for one fight (Evander Holyfield) - I don't know how much that is in today's money, but it's several times what even the very highest footballer earns in a whole year, and he got it for one nights round. Footballers really don't earn disproportionally much compared to other athletes, musicians or CEOs but attract almost all of the flak. I don't know why.

See this link (someone else posted, thank you): http://www.sporcle.com/games/highearnathletes.php

Tiger Woods is the only billionaire athlete, for example - WAY more than any footballer but I've never heard anyone say he is overpaid.

Original post by Liam_G
I heard that Lady Gaga had been bankrupt three times, even with those enormous pay checks she spends more than she can afford on outfits/props/accommodation.

I don't know what this has to do with this thread .... :erm:, but it seemed relevant :dontknow:

It's not just the props/accommodation, she'll be blowing money left right and centre, will have gone to her head. Same thing happened with Tyson: $300m career earnings and now he's broke.
Reply 28
Total ticket sales isn't the same as an artist's individual income.
Original post by M_E_X

Original post by M_E_X
Singers are exactly the same. A concert is often more expensive than a football ticket, and you're just getting one singer for that (or one group), compared to 22 players in football. A singer could be crap as well, but like in football, if they're crap they don't get much money for long.

Well like I said, the likes of Lady Gaga charge waaaay too much for their concert tickets.
Reply 30
Footballer's probably get the flak because every so often one makes the paper over cheating/ violence/ drugs etc and aren't seen as good role models, and it gets questioned why they get paid so much when they seem to spend more time wasting around then playing. And they still get paid even when injured. I know not all musicians are great role models but footballers are picked up on it more often. It's more difficult to crack the music business then football, and musicians have more expenses than footballers.
Original post by M_E_X
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12088397

Lady Gaga earned ~£85m just from her one tour this year. This is about 8 times more than the very highest paid footballers earn.

Why do people whine incessantly about footballers when many other people (CEOs, athletes, musicians) earn lots of money as well? I don't see why footballers get so much flak and they don't. I think they all deserve it :smile: (the money, not the flak!)

Remember this £85m is just from this tour, and not from all record sales, sponsorship, etc. I think she deserves it but I wonder why people overlook this but moan about Rooney earning way less than 1/10th of this amount.

Does that £85m take into account the technicians, roadies, petrol, hiring of tour bus/other vehicles, driver of tour bus/other vehicles, food, drink, production of merchandise, someone to sell the merchandise (most likely a roadie but you never know) etc etc?

Bear in mind that music artists have been at the bottom of the pile, and have had to use their own creative genius to get to where they are today (not sure whether the same could be said for any "pop" acts who have other people write their lyrics for them, but Bon Jovi/AC/DC would've really had to work for it).

Footballers kick a ball about for an hour and a half one day of the week, and spend another 5 days of the week doing the same thing.

Musicians have to deal with record labels, find producers, pay for studios (could cost anywhere from a score to several million depending on where you go and what sort of equipment the studio has), find someone to do the album artwork or do it themselves, then there's the actual "doing the music" part of it; writing lyrics, coming up with drum beats and guitar riffs, finding a bass line to fit in with it, and those are just the four basics which don't take into account symphonic strings, woodwind, or piano-esque instruments.
Original post by mr-breaker
:lol::lol::lol:

because footballers have the luxury of playing at home EVERY week

because Messi, Ronaldo, et al never lifted a finger to get to where they are right now and never practiced day in day out from the age of 8 or whatever

seriously

I used to play football every day. I called it a "hobby" :h:

The only difference between them then and them now is that they're getting paid for it.
Reply 33
I thought this was common knowledge? It's pretty obvious if you pay £60 a ticket each wth an arena full times god knows how many times they do = MILLIONS!
It's stupid because the most talented musicians often don't get anywhere near that kind of money because they aren't playing 'popular' music. Atleast in football it's - by and large - the most talented footballers who get the money. Still, both are overpaid, some people risk their lives and get pittance in comparison.
You are confusing gross ticket sales with net profit. The artists will be getting far less than the figure you stated.
Reply 36
Original post by JW92
Total ticket sales isn't the same as an artist's individual income.

I know. But Lady Gagas income = her fraction of the tour income + her fraction of the record sales income + sponsorship deals.

The total tour income was, for this year along, about £90m. Even if she only gets, say 1/3rd of that (a low estimate!) she would be making way more (about 3 times as much!) than the very highest paid footballers make, without even considering her record sales, which are another huge sum of money.

Original post by Panda Bear
Well like I said, the likes of Lady Gaga charge waaaay too much for their concert tickets.

Why? If people are willing to pay it, in a free market, the price is right.

Original post by Drunk Punx
I used to play football every day. I called it a "hobby" :h:

The only difference between them then and them now is that they're getting paid for it.

Same can be said for music/singing. Lots of people have that as a hobby, same as lots of people have football as a hobby.

Original post by Drunk Punx

Bear in mind that music artists have been at the bottom of the pile, and have had to use their own creative genius to get to where they are today (not sure whether the same could be said for any "pop" acts who have other people write their lyrics for them, but Bon Jovi/AC/DC would've really had to work for it).

Again, same can be said for footballers. There are lots that don't make it, the ones that do have to work hard. Same can be said for boxers. And CEOs.

The fact is that Lady Gaga will be 'taking home' several times more than the single highest paid footballer in the world, yet I have never heard anybody say she is "overpaid" yet people consistently criticize footballers for that, despite them making several times less.

Original post by atheistwithfaith
You are confusing gross ticket sales with net profit. The artists will be getting far less than the figure you stated.

I have also neglected record sales, which is another large sum of money the artists will be getting. I know not all of the £90m goes straight to Gaga, but a good chunk of it will (see top of this post for more discussion on this). She will have a high net worth and will have earned a lot of money from her music, yet people do not complain she is "overpaid". I don't think she is any more talented or works any harder than top footballers, boxers, CEOs, etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Please, if you don't understand football, just don't talk.

If you're going to refer to it as 22 men kicking a ball around a field for 90 minutes then kindly throw yourself into an incinerator.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by M_E_X

Original post by M_E_X
Why? If people are willing to pay it, in a free market, the price is right.

Lady Gaga charges like £60 for her shows. I saw Radiohead for £35. Based on that alone, for me, she charges way too much.

Original post by M_E_X
The fact is that Lady Gaga will be 'taking home' several times more than the single highest paid footballer in the world, yet I have never heard anybody say she is "overpaid" yet people consistently criticize footballers for that, despite them making several times less.

Lady Gaga is overpaid. There.
Original post by M_E_X

Again, same can be said for footballers. There are lots that don't make it, the ones that do have to work hard. Same can be said for boxers. And CEOs.

Ok, let's go back to base level then:

To repeat what I've already said, they spend 5 days kicking a football around a field, then an hour and a half kicking it around a stadium. Don't get me wrong, I know it's hard, but that's essentially what's going on there.

Musicians do a hell of a lot more than that (actually read what I wrote in the post you quoted to discover the rest of it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending