The Student Room Group

The NSPCC

Does anyone know what do they do?
Why are they needed? Do they do something that the police or the SS don't do?
Reply 1
Original post by Renal
Does anyone know what do they do?
Why are they needed? Do they do something that the police or the SS don't do?

It's a good question because when you donate, they send you things like key rings, badges and pens, which probably equate to the cost of the minimum donation...(well not quite, but still - money well spent?)
Reply 2
I often wonder why we are asked to cough up extra money for a charity that shouldn't need to exist. Sadly they do seem to fill a gap in the child welfare market that the government has failed to. You would have thought government spending would start at children then work its way up to adults once children are fully catered for and protected.
Reply 3
Original post by Aack
It's a good question because when you donate, they send you things like key rings, badges and pens, which probably equate to the cost of the minimum donation...(well not quite, but still - money well spent?)

It's just standard advertisement. Sending all those key rings and stuff probably costs them pennies per donation and it gets them a lot of publicity.
Reply 4
Im not really sure exactly, but I know they employ social workers and run projects across the UK. I guess there is just too much work for local authorities so they help to ease the burden, and possibly act as a preventative measure, working with families etc?
Reply 5
The raison d'etre of the NSPCC is to promote awareness of child abuse i.e. they're more interested in scaremongering than directly helping any children. The NSPCC has however now taken over child-line which is in itself a fantastic service. If it weren't for child-line, I'd strongly discourage people donating to the NSPCC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSPCC#Campaigning_and_controversy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending