The Student Room Group

The Daily Telegraph: Muslim population has grown from 1.65m to 2.87m in a decade

(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's only worrying insofar as first generation Muslim immigrants from staunchly Muslim countries will often hold values and prejudices that conflict with those of a liberal Western society. As I say though, that's usually restricted to first generation Muslim immigrants and 2.87m is still a relatively very small proportion of the population.
Feckin Beautiful!

(edited 13 years ago)
It's not worrying at all; 2.87m is such a small number in comparison to non-Muslims.
Some people need to realise that Muslims are still people like any other and chill the **** out.
(edited 13 years ago)
Ok the EDL will use this as propaganda for muslim taking over! Then you inform them that they make up 3% of the UK and they shut up
The point of this thread was to spread fear about the 'growing' Muslim population. 2.87 :O
Reply 7
I 'm happy... I'm the absolute opposite from nationalistic... I'd vote the transformation of Europe from continent to country, with each country turning into a state.

I don't believe in countries' boarders making any difference as to whether or not people should be allowed to live there... it doesn't really make any sense to me.

It's geographical and colour-based discrimination (okay maybe that's a bit too far).

I really can't see the problem, that the media and most people are implying.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by JW92
It's only worrying insofar as first generation Muslim immigrants from staunchly Muslim countries will often hold values and prejudices that conflict with those of a liberal Western society. As I say though, that's usually restricted to first generation Muslim immigrants and 2.87m is still a relatively very small proportion of the population.

This
Reply 9
Cool.

:biggrin:
I got no problem with this until we get some that may want to enforce sharia law. If that ever occurs then I am leaving thats for sure.
inb4 they took our jewbs!!
Original post by JW92
Actually, the evidence shows that such people are much more likely to be second- or third- generation. Presumably because they want to try and reconnect with a culture that they have little direct experience of, and so may see extremism as more "authentic".
Reply 13
What is this going to portray to Afghanistanis, 'member the ones we're trying to win hearts and minds?
The population is growing, full stop, I'm failing to see the point of this thread.
Reply 15
So has the population of every other group in Britain as, you know, Britain's population in general has increased in the last decade.
Reply 16
:dontknow: I see it much the same as the huge influxes of Irish Catholic immigrants we've had in this country (albeit on a much smaller scale...). I have friends from Irish Catholic stock, who live in Irish areas and went through the Catholic school system but nonetheless find their grandparents' attitudes towards contraception, homosexuality and Protestantism utterly laughable.
Original post by macroscopic
The population is growing, full stop, I'm failing to see the point of this thread.
Do you study statistics as part of your course? I'm not going to make any value judgements, but it's clear that the Muslim population is growing much more rapidly than the general population, whether we think that's good, bad or are simply indifferent. The British Muslim population grew by approx. 74% in the last decade. The British population as a whole grew by around 5% during the same period. Do you see the idiocy in your comment now? :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by jismith1989
Actually, the evidence shows that such people are much more likely to be second- or third- generation. Presumably because they want to try and reconnect with a culture that they have little direct experience of, and so may see extremism as more "authentic".

Really? I'm only speaking anecdotally. I'd imagine it's a reaction of a minority against other more secular and liberal British Muslims, who I suppose in their view are not "real Muslims".
Original post by theorb21
I 'm happy... I'm the absolute opposite from nationalistic... I'd vote the transformation of Europe from continent to country, with each country turning into a state.

I don't believe in countries' boarders making any difference as to whether or not people should be allowed to live there... it doesn't really make any sense to me.

It's geographical and colour-based discrimination (okay maybe that's a bit too far).

I really can't see the problem, that the media and most people are implying.

In theory, we shouldn't have borders but they are long established now and we need them. If we didn't have border control millions of immigrants from poor countries would flood in, the majority of whom would have little skills or trade to offer. We wouldn't have enough housing. We wouldn't have enough services to support them. Our economy would not cope. It would be unfair to the immigrants and also compromise our quality of life.

If the Muslim population continues to grow at this rate it will be economically unsustainable for the country. The population of the country and Europe in general needs to decrease tbh- this would result in a better quality of life for everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest