The Student Room Group

21st Century Core Science - January Exams

Hey all, I'm sitting three OCR 21st Century Science exams in January on Core Science.

They've bunched all the Biology, Chemistry and Physics topics together, I'm not too worried about most of the topics to be honest.

However, I've been made aware that the exam board changed the style of questions in the exam, from less multiple choice to 'open' sort of answers, where candidates have to give a written response.

I was wondering if anyone here has sat the June 2010 Core Science exams, since the exam board haven't put it up. There's only one exam paper for each topic that will be in the same style I'll be sitting up on the site. :frown:

So is there anything I should watch out for? Slightly trivial question I know, but I do want to do well in it since I may take one of the sciences at A level and like to keep my options open.

Any help is appreciated, and if you're sitting the same exam, good luck! :smile:
The open questions aren't really much harder than the rest of the paper. Just read the CGP revision guide and memorise everything and you can pretty much score an A*. All you need to know is in that textbook. Usually, in an open-ended question, they ask you to define something or explain why/how something works. For example in my B4C4P4 mock paper, it asked students to 'explain what vasodilation is and how it works' (3 marks).

Edit: Are you doing triple or double science? You say they've bunched up the Biology, Chemistry and Physics topics but in your sig you're listing them separately :s
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
^ The school are using these exam results (when they come in March) to decide if we should be doing Triple or Double award, but I've repeatedly been told I'll be doing Triple based on the past papers we'd done at school, and I do sorta feel confident that I'll get onto the Triple award. Everyone in the school is taking the same exams on Physics, Biology and Chemistry at the moment (albeit Higher and Lower tier), the top 50 get onto the Triple award.

I mean that, unlike the past papers on the exam board website, the sciences are done in B1B2B3 P1P2P3 C1C2C3 order, which I didn't realise was the normal way candidates take the exams? :colondollar:

Thank you for the help, the grade boundary is only around 31/42 for an A* (raw mark) on the mark scheme, so I'll probably be fine.

Shall do what you've said, thank you :smile:
Original post by plainsong
^ The school are using these exam results (when they come in March) to decide if we should be doing Triple or Double award, but I've repeatedly been told I'll be doing Triple based on the past papers we'd done at school, and I do sorta feel confident that I'll get onto the Triple award. Everyone in the school is taking the same exams on Physics, Biology and Chemistry at the moment (albeit Higher and Lower tier), the top 50 get onto the Triple award.

I mean that, unlike the past papers on the exam board website, the sciences are done in B1B2B3 P1P2P3 C1C2C3 order, which I didn't realise was the normal way candidates take the exams? :colondollar:

Thank you for the help, the grade boundary is only around 31/42 for an A* (raw mark) on the mark scheme, so I'll probably be fine.

Shall do what you've said, thank you :smile:

Students who take Triple Science do their exams like B1 B2 B3, C1 C2 C3, etc. But those who do Double Science do Biology, Chemistry and Physics modules together, like B1 C1 P1, B2 C2 P2, etc. Both are 'normal' ways of taking exams lol you were looking in the wrong place :P And no problem. :smile: Triple Science coursework is really tedious and long by the way, so good luck.
Reply 4
I'm taking these, but doing Seperate Science so they are B1 B2 B3, C1 C2 C3, P1 P2 P3. Biology on the 13th, Chemistry on the 17th and Physics on the 26th. I'm setting myself a revision schedule, even though I'm predicted A* for all my science subjects I want to make sure I get them!
Original post by plainsong
Hey all, I'm sitting three OCR 21st Century Science exams in January on Core Science.

They've bunched all the Biology, Chemistry and Physics topics together, I'm not too worried about most of the topics to be honest.

However, I've been made aware that the exam board changed the style of questions in the exam, from less multiple choice to 'open' sort of answers, where candidates have to give a written response.

I was wondering if anyone here has sat the June 2010 Core Science exams, since the exam board haven't put it up. There's only one exam paper for each topic that will be in the same style I'll be sitting up on the site. :frown:

So is there anything I should watch out for? Slightly trivial question I know, but I do want to do well in it since I may take one of the sciences at A level and like to keep my options open.

Any help is appreciated, and if you're sitting the same exam, good luck! :smile:

On the OCR website, both the assessment materials and the January 2010 papers are in the style you will be sitting. As well as this, if you are taking 1, 2 and 3 for Biology, chemistry and Physics, then you can look at the seperate GCSE's for each of them because they are assessing the same units. I sat the B3, P3 and C3 June 2010 exam and I think that the open ended answers make it easier to get higher marks because it gives you more to write about an the questions aren't usually as difficult as if the multiple choice questions.

If you are doing all the core exams then don't you need to do the ideas in context exam aswell?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by alex12alex11
On the OCR website, both the assessment materials and the January 2010 papers are in the style you will be sitting. As well as this, if you are taking 1, 2 and 3 for Biology, chemistry and Physics, then you can look at the seperate GCSE's for each of them because they are assessing the same units. I sat the B3, P3 and C3 June 2010 exam and I think that the open ended answers make it easier to get higher marks because it gives you more to write about an the questions aren't usually as difficult as if the multiple choice questions.

If you are doing all the core exams then don't you need to do the ideas in context exam aswell?

I think the Ideas in Context exam is sat later in the year, yes. We do our coursework in the period between January and March; when we've done the exams and the results come in. I think :redface:

Thanks for the info about the seperate GCSEs for the three sciences - I'd been doing the past papers in B1C1P1 etc order, but I've found the past paper in B1B2B3 order which should help more/is more convenient to use.

Based on the past papers, I agree about the open ended answers coming across as easier, some of the multiple choice are a bit wishy-washy and sometimes a little confusing, so I get some wrong. Without there being a fault with I not knowing the spec properly, it's due to a reason which is hard to actually 'revise' for. If you know what I mean.

Thanks again. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest