The Student Room Group

Musician tour earnings released - more than footballers pay! (gasp)

Scroll to see replies

They deserve it because we are all stupid enough to buy it.
Original post by dnumberwang
Please, if you don't understand football, just don't talk.

If you're going to refer to it as 22 men kicking a ball around a field for 90 minutes then kindly throw yourself into an incinerator.

:ahee:

At base level that's what it is. Same with musicians, except when in concert they spend anywhere between an hour and 3 hours (if they're feeling adventurous, like Neurosis) they do their part then leave.
Reply 42
Original post by Drunk Punx
Ok, let's go back to base level then:

To repeat what I've already said, they spend 5 days kicking a football around a field, then an hour and a half kicking it around a stadium. Don't get me wrong, I know it's hard, but that's essentially what's going on there.

Musicians do a hell of a lot more than that (actually read what I wrote in the post you quoted to discover the rest of it).

Footballers do a lot more than what you've described, as well. You can dumb down singing to practising a bit then giving a performance (just like how you dumbed football down to practising a bit then playing a match), but we both know that a lot more goes on for both groups of people. There are heaps of people who failed in their quest to become a top footballer/musician, there must be something that separates those at the top from the rest.

Whatever this thing is, the fact is that the top musicians and the top footballers provide a service that people are willing to consume, and to pay for. Because of this they earn lots of month. But top musicians, like top golfers/boxers/CEOs, earn a lot more than top footballers. That is my main gripe here: why do people consistently complain that footballers earn too much money when lots of other groups of people performing similar tasks can earn several times more than even the very top football players?

I don't want to argue about the specifics of what Lady Gaga does day-to-day compared to, say Steven Gerrard, but they essentially both prepare to provide a service which people want to watch and will pay money for.

Original post by kilowattjester
They deserve it because we are all stupid enough to buy it.

This is correct :smile: Except I don't agree we are 'stupid' for spending money on things that we enjoy, but yes, their wealth is essentially funded by the general public.
Reply 43
>implying lady gaga is a typical musician with average earnings.

A few years ago the frontman of pendragon was losing £10k a year on touring.
:ahee:

At base level that's what it is. Same with musicians, except when in concert they spend anywhere between an hour and 3 hours (if they're feeling adventurous, like Neurosis) they do their part then leave.

Both require talent to get anywhere. Maybe not so much with some modern pop music, but to be a top earning footballer you need to have lots of have ability
Original post by Inversion
But piracy is killing music :nopity:

:rolleyes: Yeah, I always find it hillarious when people in the music industry talk about the terrible struggles they undergo because of us bad, bad people file sharing.
Both require talent to get anywhere. Maybe not so much with some modern pop music, but to be a top earning footballer you need to have lots of have ability

Gimme a break, I've how Liverpool have been playing this season. The players still earn more than most people :colonhash:
True, they've picked up at intervals, but have hardly been anything special. Not like the good old days... :moon:
Reply 47
Original post by Manitude
>implying lady gaga is a typical musician with average earnings.

She is one of the top earners in her industry, and I have compared her to the top earners in other industries. I did not say she is "average", nor imply it.

Gimme a break, I've how Liverpool have been playing this season. The players still earn more than most people :colonhash:
True, they've picked up at intervals, but have hardly been anything special. Not like the good old days... :moon:

The players earn a lot less than top musicians or other top athletes, as this thread has pointed out, yes. And I know Liverpool have been playing bad :frown: (I'm a Liverpool fan!)

e: none of Liverpools players are anywhere near the top earners in football, though. You have to look at Barca/City for that. Our top paid players earn maybe half of what their top paid players earn...(and their players deserve it, too!)
Reply 48
Original post by M_E_X
She is one of the top earners in her industry, and I have compared her to the top earners in other industries. I did not say she is "average", nor imply it.

It's implied in the title.
Original post by M_E_X
Footballers do a lot more than what you've described, as well. You can dumb down singing to practising a bit then giving a performance (just like how you dumbed football down to practising a bit then playing a match), but we both know that a lot more goes on for both groups of people. There are heaps of people who failed in their quest to become a top footballer/musician, there must be something that separates those at the top from the rest.

Sometimes skill, usually luck (right place right time; scouts for labels/training squads can't be everywhere).
Chart music these days is ****ing dire anyway, so it's hardly talent that gets them there.
And I did dumb down both in another post.

Original post by M_E_X
Whatever this thing is, the fact is that the top musicians and the top footballers provide a service that people are willing to consume, and to pay for. Because of this they earn lots of month. But top musicians, like top golfers/boxers/CEOs, earn a lot more than top footballers. That is my main gripe here: why do people consistently complain that footballers earn too much money when lots of other groups of people performing similar tasks can earn several times more than even the very top football players?

I don't want to argue about the specifics of what Lady Gaga does day-to-day compared to, say Steven Gerrard, but they essentially both prepare to provide a service which people want to watch and will pay money for.

While I see your point, I still thinks it's fair to point out everything that musicians have to pay for that footballers don't. I would imagine that the club/sponsors pay for travel/hotels/etc, whereas a musician would usually (unless signed to a big label) have to fork out for it themselves.
Also, boxers get punched for a living. Hardly fair to compare them to footballers :colonhash:
Reply 50
It's implied in the title.

Top musicians earn more than top footballers, yes. I did not mean (nor state) I was comparing the lower quartile or the average or anything like that. I can see why you inferred that though - sorry :frown: I can't change the title now.

That said though, I think I was as fair as I could be comparing her (as one of the top earning musicians) with the top earning people in other sectors.
Reply 51

While I see your point, I still thinks it's fair to point out everything that musicians have to pay for that footballers don't. I would imagine that the club/sponsors pay for travel/hotels/etc, whereas a musician would usually (unless signed to a big label) have to fork out for it themselves.
Also, boxers get punched for a living. Hardly fair to compare them to footballers :colonhash:

The hotel fees they spend over the year is nothing compared to how much more the top singers get compared to the top footballers. Nothing.

And footballers get injured a lot more than musicians, it's not fair to compare them... :colonhash:. That is a nothing argument again :frown: Each person has a free choice which sector to go in to.

Also, did you neg my OP? Someone did and it took 3 rep points off me, you are the only person here with enough rep to do that...
Reply 52
Original post by M_E_X
Top musicians earn more than top footballers, yes. I did not mean (nor state) I was comparing the lower quartile or the average or anything like that. I can see why you inferred that though - sorry :frown: I can't change the title now.

That said though, I think I was as fair as I could be comparing her (as one of the top earning musicians) with the top earning people in other sectors.

Fair enough.
Got any data on Genesis' 2007 tour? They must have been earning a million at least each per concert, that's taking into account all of the costs.
Reply 53
What about golfers, F1 drivers, baseball players :tongue:
Who often earn just as much if not more money

Woods is the only billionaire athlete, he's earned way way way more than any footballer (probably more than the whole Man City and Chelsea teams put together?) and yet I've never heard anyone say he is overpaid. I really don't get why people hate on footballers so much.
Reply 54
Fair enough.
Got any data on Genesis' 2007 tour? They must have been earning a million at least each per concert, that's taking into account all of the costs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_It_on_Again:_The_Tour

They only did a relatively small number of venues, compared to Lady Gaga who did over 100 in this years tour.

http://www.billboard.com/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003685265

Another heavy-hitting international arena/stadium outing was Genesis' Turn It on Again tour, produced by Michael Cohl's CPI. Selling out stadiums in Europe and arenas in the United States, Genesis' 46 shows grossed $129 million.

That is a lot more per show than Gaga (way more!), but they had to split that several ways.
Original post by M_E_X
The hotel fees they spend over the year is nothing compared to how much more the top singers get compared to the top footballers. Nothing.

And footballers get injured a lot more than musicians, it's not fair to compare them... :colonhash:. That is a nothing argument again :frown: Each person has a free choice which sector to go in to.

Also, did you neg my OP? Someone did and it took 3 rep points off me, you are the only person here with enough rep to do that...

Ahh, but that doesn't take away the fact that musicians still need to pay for equipment and recording studios. A decent guitar is hella more expensive than a football :tongue:

I do completely see what you're saying, but I think it's just something people overlook. Footballers seems easier to blame as they are in the spotlight far more often than musicians.

And no, I've been on a pos rep spree recently and I think I ran out of rep. Also, I think I would only be able to take 2 points away as it's half of my green boxes, not 3.
Reply 56
Nobody "deserves" that much money, full stop.
Reply 57
Footballers are overpaid imbeciles.

Muscians at least do something useful.
Original post by shadow99
Footballers are overpaid imbeciles.

Muscians at least do something useful.

:facepalm:
:facepalm:

A rather peurile way of putting it but musicians produce art which enriches the lives of the people who pay their wages. How in the same way can a top-earning footballer's wage be justified?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending