The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If your parents are good people they should get over their disappointment in time and see that you are happy with him. Your happiness should be more important to them than traditions and race.
Reply 21
Original post by Converse
The black race is majority christian. Somalis are the only exception. And Somalians hate white people (hence my asking of the initial question).

lol i wonder how they can survive over here
:lolwut:

over 85% of the gambia is muslim btw- goodness me, race/origin doesn't always determine religion
:facepalm:
Reply 22
thanks for the response guys.

well i was gonna wait until im in my last year if my masters. so i'll no for certain then. but we've talked about marriage and stuff..and i do see it happening. just donw wanna disappoint anyone. my bf isnt overly religious either. he does believe in god though. i think to him he sees christianity and islam as having similar moral grounds. and he is generally interested in islam. even before i met him he took an interest in it. obviously i would be the main reason for him to convert..but if he had a problem with it, he would hae voiced some concerns, but he never has. and i do believe that even if we broke up, he'd still be a muslim regardless. so im not worried in that front.

its just i feel guilty keeping him a secret from my mother. like ive visited his family, and home, and gone on little trips with him etc. and my parents just have no clue.

so i kinda wanna tell them now so i dont feel bad..and my parents know the truth. but my head tells me to wait till things are certain.
Reply 23
sudanese
Reply 24
Original post by amsie/
lol i wonder how they can survive over here
:lolwut:

over 85% of the gambia is muslim btw- goodness me, race/origin doesn't always determine religion
:facepalm:

Bruv, I changed what I said after you quoted me and before you replied.

Also, Gambia is tiny and has a population of less than two million.
(edited 13 years ago)
I feel sorry for your poor boyfriend.
Reply 26
The black race is majority christian. Somalis are the only exception. And Somalians hate white people (hence my asking of the initial question).

This is a joke right?
Senegal? Mali?
Original post by Sean3000
In my opinion, this demonstrates everything that is wrong with religion- DIVISIVE.

well, if you do not believe in religion, what do you wake up for every day, what do you believe will happen to you after you die, is this whole life just an accident?

divisive-if you want to call it- not in a bad way, but only out of wisdom- there is nothing wrong with marrying someone of a dif. race, but religion is what we live for so if we marry someone from a dif. religion this would restrict us from practising our own religion, and it would also be very difficult for children to grow up with two parents with completely dif. beliefs, they would be confused, right? and, its not a friend i am talking about, it is the person you are getting married to, so imagine you have completely dif. beliefs, this means that both of you think that the other is wrong and when you try to teach your kids, there would be problems while you try to teach one thing and your partner teaches another.
Reply 28
Original post by MoanyLisa
This is a joke right?
Senegal? Mali?

I changed what I said...
Reply 29
Bruv, I changed what I said after you quoted me and before you replied.

coool but maybe you should think before you type :borat:
... and bruv :biggrin:
So you're a somali then?

Not all Somalis are dark skinned, and Somalis generally don't associate themselves as black - more a cultural thing than not.
Reply 31
Original post by maths-science
well, if you do not believe in religion, what do you wake up for every day, what do you believe will happen to you after you die, is this whole life just an accident?

divisive-if you want to call it- not in a bad way, but only out of wisdom- there is nothing wrong with marrying someone of a dif. race, but religion is what we live for so if we marry someone from a dif. religion this would restrict us from practising our own religion, and it would also be very difficult for children to grow up with two parents with completely dif. beliefs, they would be confused, right? and, its not a friend i am talking about, it is the person you are getting married to, so imagine you have completely dif. beliefs, this means that both of you think that the other is wrong and when you try to teach your kids, there would be problems while you try to teach one thing and your partner teaches another.

Don't be so ignorant. Religion isn't the only thing that gives people meaning in life.
Original post by MoanyLisa
Don't be so ignorant. Religion isn't the only thing that gives people meaning in life.

well, that is what I believe as we have been told by god that he did not create us except to worship him, so obviously I am going to believe that we are here for religion.

btw are you religious?
how about the YOU convert to CHRISTIANITY and become an EXILE of the islamic religion?

do it for love? ;D
Reply 34
Original post by Mombasa Raha
Not all Somalis are dark skinned, and Somalis generally don't associate themselves as black - more a cultural thing than not.

i am somali and see myself as black :biggrin:
i have no idea where this rubbish came from :s-smilie:
Reply 35
you cannot convert out of islam.
Reply 36
Original post by Benammieh

Original post by Benammieh
Just dont care what they say. We live in the 21st century!

so because we live in the 21st century, we shouldnt listen to what our parents say?
Reply 37
Original post by maths-science
well, that is what I believe as we have been told by god that he did not create us except to worship him, so obviously I am going to believe that we are here for religion.

btw are you religious?

I understand that is what you believe. What I was pointing out is that, not everybody else believes that.

I used to be very religious, but I left Islam and am currently nor associated with any religion.
Reply 38
Original post by amsie/
i am somali and see myself as black :biggrin:
i have no idea where this rubbish came from :s-smilie:

Ditto. :yep:
Reply 39
You should read Malorie Blakman's Noughts and crosses if only to give you an idea of the dystopia you would be contributing towards if you did not follow your heart :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending