The Student Room Group
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website

Roehampton University- Anyone else think that this uni SUCKS!

I dont like it at all, maybe its my course and not the actual uni itself. But whatever it is, I HATE it! -_______-

Anyone else feelin like this??
Reply 1
yes it just doesnt feel/look like a uni to me at all..feels more like a school
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website
Reply 2
-_____________________- I feel like that too, do u live on campus or stay at home? Me staying @ homes makes it feel even more like college...
Reply 3
Hey there, I'm studying media and culture in Roehampton. Got pretty similar feelings towards the uni :rolleyes: But the campus itself is actually really good compared to many other London universities.
Reply 4
I've applied there this year, only because I fell in love with the campus - not a very good reason, but there you go!
Reply 5
I love it here at Roehampton and so do all the people I've spoken to. I reckon it's just the course choice that's getting you down as I have a friend who feels the same way as you guys do, but she's certain it's the course as she's not really enjoying the content and can't see it benefiting her. I'm studying biomed and this uni is accredited so I know I've got a pretty good shot when it comes to getting a job as long as I get enough relevant work experience and good enough grades. So far I've been getting nothing but firsts so I'm really enjoying it; my lecturers are awesome and so are all the people doing life sciences that I share lectures with.
Reply 6
That isn't great to hear, lmao. Thoughts on the English Lit course?
Reply 7
Ugh!!! English at roehampton SUCKS! LOOL Critical skills will kill you! lmaooo >____<
Reply 8
Original post by hollabee

I know a few people doing english lit and they seem to love it. They're always ranting on about how they enjoy the texts they're studying and they're a sociable, friendly bunch so I doubt there'd be any problems making friends. Roehampton is a gorgeous uni with excellent facilities (we even have a computer suite in the cafe...it's like a mini free internet cafe! :biggrin: it's awesome) and the people are really nice. If you've checked the syllabus and want to go ahead with it, I'm sure you'd enjoy it here.
Reply 9
Original post by Mona Lisa
I know a few people doing english lit and they seem to love it. They're always ranting on about how they enjoy the texts they're studying and they're a sociable, friendly bunch so I doubt there'd be any problems making friends. Roehampton is a gorgeous uni with excellent facilities (we even have a computer suite in the cafe...it's like a mini free internet cafe! :biggrin: it's awesome) and the people are really nice. If you've checked the syllabus and want to go ahead with it, I'm sure you'd enjoy it here.

I've not visited yet, but the course seems really fab from the prospectus. It's always great to hear from someone with experience of the Uni though :biggrin: thanks for replying <3
Reply 10
Original post by hollabee

I'd say that the department of Media, Culture and Language is quite good. So far, all the lecturers I've met really seemed to be very helpful and dedicated to teaching. It's just that the uni itself can sometimes look a bit dull and 'isolated' as there are not many students.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by marschak
It's just that the uni itself can sometimes look a bit dull and 'isolated' as there are not many students.

Isolated, at times...dull, no! The grounds are gorgeous and the main campus never looks isolated when I'm there. I study at Whitelands which can be quite empty at times but it's such a stunning campus I'm glad there aren't many people there spoiling the view lol :tongue:; plus it's cold right now so people are usually indoors doing their work, in summer there were loads of people roaming around, having outdoor barbecues and laying around on the lawns.
Reply 12
Does anyone know about psychology at the uni?
Reply 13
Original post by RTD2
Does anyone know about psychology at the uni?

Psychology is at Whitelands. I know 2 girls doing psychology (one of which i met in my chemistry lecture...you have the option to choose one of your modules, and the other I know from college). They both like it and have told me how the lecturers are really nice. A few of them dressed up as father christmas to do their lectures prior to the xmas break lol I can pass any questions you have about the course to the girls and message you the replies if you'd like. If you have any questions about the whitelands campus I'm happy to answer them as I also study there :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Mona Lisa
Psychology is at Whitelands. I know 2 girls doing psychology (one of which i met in my chemistry lecture...you have the option to choose one of your modules, and the other I know from college). They both like it and have told me how the lecturers are really nice. A few of them dressed up as father christmas to do their lectures prior to the xmas break lol I can pass any questions you have about the course to the girls and message you the replies if you'd like. If you have any questions about the whitelands campus I'm happy to answer them as I also study there :wink:

Thanks :biggrin:! Are the colleges all at different locations? Stupid question I know but can't work it out! Is the accomodation nice at whitelands? And the social life? Is there much help with careers at roehampton? Thank you :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by RTD2
Thanks :biggrin:! Are the colleges all at different locations? Stupid question I know but can't work it out! Is the accomodation nice at whitelands? And the social life? Is there much help with careers at roehampton? Thank you :smile:

All the colleges are located on the same lane. The main campus is first and consists of frobel, digby stuart and southlands colleges, and down the road (a 5-10 min walk, or a 2 min bus journey) is the Whitelands campus. I've only seen the accommodation at whitelands but the rooms are really nice and so are the kitchens. Most of the rooms on the main campus are similar but some of the rooms on the main campus have white painted brick walls which I'd imagine wouldn't be very warm during the winter months but that's only at a few of the halls. I know a few people living in those rooms and I haven't heard anyone complain about them so I guess there must be a good heating system in those rooms. The campus and grounds are stunning so you'd get a good view :smile:
There are bars on the campus (whitelands has its own bar "Barcode" and the main campus has the student union which also houses a bar that's very popular). Barcode has acoustic nights and I think there are themed nights at the union. There are always themed parties down at the local club (Fez club which I think is in kingston) and there's a free bus service to the club on those nights courtesy of the uni. There's a lot of cool places to eat and catch up with friends in the uni: there's a internet cafe in the library called wired where a lot of people go to have their lunch and browse the internet as there are loads of available computers and free wi-fi. There are also plasma televisions and sofas, and a patio area in the library cafe with picnic tables and shade umbrellas where you can also get wi-fi signal. There's also a nandos-type dining area called piri piri on southlands and several other standard dining areas. On whitelands there's a standard dining area complete with a patio seating area which overlooks richmond park, the view is gorgeous! Kingston is very close to the uni, so is richmond and hammersmith is a 20 min bus ride away. There are links to central london via the buses and tubes in richmond and hammersmith, and the buses in kingston also go to central london.
I currently work at twickenham rugby stadium and I got this job through the freshers fair, so I've definitely benefited from the careers service! :biggrin: I'm sure many others have found the careers service to be useful as I've seen a lot of people from my uni at my workplace. I don't really know much else about how the careers service is run, but again I've never heard complaints. Sorry I couldn't be much help with this :redface: but it'd be a good idea to ask if you go to an open day.
By the way, this link will give you 360 degrees views of certain areas of the different colleges: http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/360/index.html
I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them for you as best as I can :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by marschak
Hey there, I'm studying media and culture in Roehampton. Got pretty similar feelings towards the uni :rolleyes: But the campus itself is actually really good compared to many other London universities.

Hiya, I study media& culture as well, is there any way that I can chat to you privately about it?
can people elaborate on roehampton "being like a school"? what exactly does this mean?
This thread was created 5 years ago..
(edited 8 years ago)
what about the criminology with psychology course????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending