The Student Room Group

Want help with Russian History essays? :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by givethanks
omg Thanks so much!!

No problem, If you need anymore help give me another message :smile:

Tom :wink:
Reply 21
Original post by Mittalmar
Hey a few questions. Any books to recommend a novice in Russian history? Do you speak ????????

'Do I speak ????????' - Erm potentially? :wink:

Russian history is a huge period and it involves many twists and turns. Is there any specific part you wish to read about? or any particular time period?
Reply 22
Original post by nerimon18
Cool so roughly how many words should it be around?:tongue:

It's hard to say what word count you should work towards. I'd say that anything below around 1300 - 500 would be in danger of being too weak. However if you feel yourself straining to get to that don't add irrelevant facts or sentences to bulk it out.
The way I'd do it is write it out by hand, type it up, then see if you can expand it anywhere, such as explaining facts in more details, expanding fully on points, adding to analysis to show you understand how each fact you meantion relates to the question,
hope this was of help,

Tom :smile:
Original post by crocker710
It's hard to say what word count you should work towards. I'd say that anything below around 1300 - 500 would be in danger of being too weak. However if you feel yourself straining to get to that don't add irrelevant facts or sentences to bulk it out.
The way I'd do it is write it out by hand, type it up, then see if you can expand it anywhere, such as explaining facts in more details, expanding fully on points, adding to analysis to show you understand how each fact you meantion relates to the question,
hope this was of help,

Cool thanks :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by nerimon18
Cool thanks :tongue:

If you want me to read over what you've done when you've done it feel free to inbox it or link me to it, I'll try point out where you could strengthen your essay

Reply 25
If you want me to read over what you've done when you've done it feel free to inbox it or link me to it, I'll try point out where you could strengthen your essay

How is it even possible to get 99% in History?
To what extent was ww1 a key turning point in teh development of modern russia between 1856-1964?
(coursework)
Reply 27
Original post by tehforum
How is it even possible to get 99% in History?

You tell me ...? lol
'Do I speak ????????' - Erm potentially? :wink:

Russian history is a huge period and it involves many twists and turns. Is there any specific part you wish to read about? or any particular time period?

Do you speak Russian? :cool: Tsr blocks cyrillic :'( I'm really not fussed in terms of period. I've read War and Peace. I'm also well acquainted with the Cold War. Perhaps you could recommend books which have inspired your enthusiasm for the subject. Thanks tovareesh.
Reply 29
Original post by helpneeded-a
To what extent was ww1 a key turning point in teh development of modern russia between 1856-1964?
(coursework)

To what extent was The First World War a key turning point in the development of modern Russia between 1856-1964?

A turning point question is not as difficult as people think. Choose three factors (economy, society and politics) and analyse the change brought to these by world war one. then within each of the individual paragraphs choose 2 or 3 if coursework other significant changes and analyse which is the most important in your opinion.

For example, The First World War brought political change to russia, First liberalising it with the Provisional Government and then tightened with Communism. The day-to-day running of the country had little change, in fact Bureaucracy increased under Communism and they could be called 'Red Tsars'. However the First World War brought a fundamental change in political thinking. It planted a seed which was not exploited to years after - but this is where it was placed in Russian soil.
The russo-japanese war also brought political reformation and allowed a Duma, and political parties in Russia for the first time. This was seen at the time to be taking Russia down the constitutional monarchy path. If the First World War didn't interrupt I could have been the most significant political reform.
Thirdly you could talk about the tightening of internal politics in the 1930's this led to the domminance of communism for the next 50/60 years. It tightened the party line and eliminated political factionalism (illegal in the 1920's).

basic outline of the political turning point paragraph - it needs a conclusion I would prob. agree with the Q that the FWW was the most important here as it didn't bring much physical change, but brought a change in approach.

If you do this for the other two factors, you should be well on your way to getting a decent essay, if you need anymore help, give me a message

I hope this helped :wink:

Reply 30
Original post by Mittalmar
Do you speak Russian? :cool: Tsr blocks cyrillic :'( I'm really not fussed in terms of period. I've read War and Peace. I'm also well acquainted with the Cold War. Perhaps you could recommend books which have inspired your enthusiasm for the subject. Thanks tovareesh.

Dr. Zhrivago is a good book for the First World War / Civil War - it is also interesting in the context it was written - it could not be openly critical of the USSR because of censorship (published 1956), but it does have subtle hints of where Russia fell down.

If you're looking for a more factual book I'd prob. say that 'An Economic History of the U.S.S.R' by Alec Nove is good for facts of pre- 70's Russia. It's a bit dry but if you're interested in the hardcore facts this is a good book.

'Absolute WAR: Soviet Russia in the Second World War' by Chris Bellamy provides a fantastic account of the war on the Eastern front. It gives great detail from start to finish.

Here's just three, if you want more specific books I'll be more than happy to help you,

P.S. I have no clue where to start with Russian :wink: sorry
Reply 31
Great thread, wish you was around when I was doing AS history.

Some notes for Russia 1881-1924 if anyone wants them
Reply 32
Original post by skyhigh!
Great thread, wish you was around when I was doing AS history.

Some notes for Russia 1881-1924 if anyone wants them

Cheers :wink: and those notes are really helpful!

Reply 33
Help with this question would be greatly appreciated :smile:
To what extent did the russian economy improve between 1894 and 1914?
Reply 34
Original post by molthemoo
Help with this question would be greatly appreciated :smile:
To what extent did the russian economy improve between 1894 and 1914?

To what extent did the Russian economy improve between 1894 and 1914?

here's some facts

industrialisation improved the economy
industrial output and mining ( 1900 is 100% the numbers are difficult to convert)
1880 - 28.2% of the 1900 figure
1890 - 50.7% of the 1900 figure
1895 - 70.4% of the 1900 figure
1904 - 109.5% of the 1900 figure
1910 - 141.4% of the 1900 figure
(from 1888 - 1913 the figures show a 5% per year growth in industrial output - GREATER than the USA or Germany in the same period)
(In 1900 Russia was the biggest producer of oil in the world)

The great spurt from the 1890's onwards helped the Russian heavy economy develop rapidly. However you've got to bear in mind that the smaller cottage industries were not helped by industrialisation. This is an interesting and useful figure, in 1915 67% (5.2 million) workers involved in industry were employed in cottage industries producing 33% of the output. This meant that 2/3's of the people were producing 1/3 of the good.

Railways
(relative to population and area)
USA - (1860) 19 (1910) 122
Germany - (1860) 21 (1910) 75
UK - (1860) 44 (1910) 69
Russia (european part) (1860) 1 (1910) 24

Industrialisation goes where the railway leads. Interesting how by 1910 that it's increased 24 fold in Russia.

Overseas trade was curbed by import taxes imposed in 1891 by Count Witte to help the Russian economy use Russian goods. This mean't that the Russian economy kept a lot of it's production within the country creating jobs. Furthermore it allowed the production rate to increase which in turn allowed for cheaper exports.

Agriculture
Raw cotton ( kilograms per head )
USA - (1860) 5.8 (1910) 12.7
Germany - (1860) 1.4 (1910) 6.8
UK - (1860) 15.1 (1910) 19.8
Russia (european part) (1860) 0.5 (1910) 3.0

seems to suggest Russian agriculture increased 6-fold where as USA doubled, germany 4-fold and UK hardly changed.

Could do a counter argument with this saying that although this did improve, the full force of Count Witte's changes were not felt because of the First World War. Furthermore you can say all the improvements were out-shadowed in scale with Stalin's Five Year Plans.

How these have helped if you need anymore advice feel free to post again

Stalin was the most successful leader between 1855-1953. How true is this statement?

Cheeers :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by SomethingSpezial
Stalin was the most successful leader between 1855-1953. How true is this statement?

Cheeers :smile:

Difficult question because it is so broad. The simplest way to analyse this is choose 3 themes and see if stalin was the most influential. for example, economy military society. (arguably the most influential in all) and then conclude with your own judgment.
Reply 37
Thanks so much for the info really helpful :smile:
Would you mind helping with this one too?
To What extent did russia undergoe political and social reform between 1906-1914?
Cheers :smile:

Witte and Stolypin were the Romanov's last hope of maintaining Tsardom Russia. To what extent do you agree?
How significant were the effects of the outbreak of the Frist World War on Russian government and politics at this time?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending