The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NigerianStudent
I bet if he was a poor black man you would not have got with him and I'm prolly better looking than him too.

I agree!!
Reply 61
Original post by Dripping
you sound like an arse hole. WHo cares about money? Stop playing the game of "Who dies with the most wins" and start loving, however I can tell from your arrogant, trucculent posts that you are not much of a "catch" anyway, and he will undoubtedly leave you..

again, i couldnt care less if you think im arrogant,...blah blah.

point of the matter is, we are two people in love..im just scared i'll **** it up..by keeping him a secret or by not keeping him a secret.

im scared of the unknown. and because i dont know whats gonna happen if i tell my parents..that freaks me out even more. i dont know if theyll be angry, sad, dissappointed, happy, overjoyed, scream, shout, etc...

i just dont know. if i knew what way they thought, then i could prepare myself.
Reply 62
Original post by nerdfighter28
People who divorce or break off an engagement are not seen as sluts in Islam... :s-smilie:

married muslims who divorce..you rarely find a woman marrying again...its not really the done thing. you only marry again if your'e a widow maybe. but if u divorce then u stick with your decision. besides most muslim men dont go for divorcees.
Reply 63
Original post by Anonymous
hi,

so ive been together with my boyfriend now for almost two years. we both doing postgrad in the same uni but different course..and we love each other to bits. theres only some things i worry about.

1. he's a secret to my parents. im muslim. but never been brought up religious. my parents arent overly religious either, but they believe i should marry one of our kind (from same country and muslim). however my brothers and cousins love him.

2. he's from a poor background. whereas i am fortunate to be extremely well off. it never bothered me...because he always worked hard for his money and always took me out to nice places...i know he generally wants to make a lot of money. and im really glad, cos i dont want to sound spoilt, but i do want to be rich. but not rich cos i want the best designer clothes and what not..but just that i know i have the choice to. and thats what my parents want from my future man. someone rich.

3. if i tell my parents about him. he would have to be the one for life. im scared of telling, not cos i dont think he's the one..but because in muslim cultures we dont do bf's/relationships. its just straight to marriage.

4.also...i black he white..no one in my family married a white person before. so i would be the first..and im not sure how my far relatives would take to that.

what should i do?

I would tell you to grow a backbone(spine) and marry this guy as you probably wont get anyone better. most men in general will be put off by the whole muslim thing and of course your blatent insecuirty and inability to deside something quite simple.

but then again if ur under the age of 20 id watch out uve got maturing to do and he may too.

Your religion has quite a few illogical rules eh?
married muslims who divorce..you rarely find a woman marrying again...its not really the done thing. you only marry again if your'e a widow maybe. but if u divorce then u stick with your decision. besides most muslim men dont go for divorcees.

That's not to do with Muslim men, rather it's to do with ignorant men. If you find the right man he shouldn't care whether you have been divorced or not.

Islam would not allow divorce if it meant that the divorcee could not marry afterwards.
Reply 66
Do you want to follow what your heart has to say
or what your relatives think of you (points 1-4)?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
[QUOTE="Anonymous;29097903"]married muslims who divorce..you rarely find a woman marrying again...its not really the done thing. you only marry again if your'e a widow maybe. but if u divorce then u stick with your decision. besides most muslim men dont go for divorcees.[/QUOTE

Okey thats just rubbish ofcourse you can marry again if your a divorcee and if a man doesnt want you because you were married before he is NOT worth your time. Seriously i come from a religious/cultural family and thats never been a big problem.
Original post by MoanyLisa
Long story short. I started to look at religion as a whole, rather than at Islam exclusively. I found that the reason why I rejected all other religions, could also be applied to Islam. And it all started to fizzle out from there.

does it seem too difficult for you to follow?
Reply 69
Original post by maths-science
does it seem too difficult for you to follow?

If by that, you mean, was I having trouble adhering to the requirements of the faith?

Quite the contrary.
Reply 70
Original post by damidude
so because we live in the 21st century, we shouldnt listen to what our parents say?

No that wasnt my point. My point is that we are living in a liberal society where people of all different races mix.
Reply 71
Original post by Mick.w
I would tell you to grow a backbone(spine) and marry this guy as you probably wont get anyone better. most men in general will be put off by the whole muslim thing and of course your blatent insecuirty and inability to deside something quite simple.

but then again if ur under the age of 20 id watch out uve got maturing to do and he may too.

im 22 .... and so is he. and as i said...i would want to get engaged at like 24/25..married by 26ish.
Reply 72
Original post by MoanyLisa
Ditto. :yep:

Original post by amsie/
i am somali and see myself as black :biggrin:
i have no idea where this rubbish came from :s-smilie:

I never have, and never could see them as black. I had this argument with some sudanese girls (btw sudanese girls are hot!), eventually they gave ip and agreed they weren't too.

I just cant' see it like that, you guys aren't black. :colonhash:

Original post by Rassam
Rich Somalis? Nahhh

LOL - it felt so wrong to laugh at this.
Reply 73
Original post by Yawn11
I never have, and never could see them as black. I had this argument with some sudanese girls (btw sudanese girls are hot!), eventually they gave ip and agreed they weren't too.

I just cant' see it like that, you guys aren't black. :colonhash:

LOL - it felt so wrong to laugh at this.

what? where's your reasoning in this??? and btw i did not get years of racism just for some randomer to say "you ain't black" :mad:
so, just out of interest what would YOU class us as???
Reply 74
Original post by amsie/
what? where's your reasoning in this??? and btw i did not get years of racism just for some randomer to say "you ain't black" :mad:
so, just out of interest what would YOU class us as???

I dunno Arab or just Somali - there's enough of you to be a seperate race all together really.

And every race can receive racism, even white people.

I've said this on TSR a few times before, nothing personal, I just don't see it, even mix race people seem more black to me :dontknow:

It's not just me, other black people agree, i'm sure there's some that might disagree too.
Reply 75
You could black him up...
Reply 76
Original post by Converse
So you're a somali then?

Rich Somalians don't exist!
They only get that way through benefits and I lived in a predominantly Somalian neighbourhood for most of my years.

I know I am generalising but c'mon when was the last time you heard about a rich Somali kid?

She's probably Arab or Ethiopian or something.
Reply 77
Original post by Yawn11
I dunno Arab or just Somali - there's enough of you to be a seperate race all together really.

I've said this on TSR a few times before, nothing personal, I just don't see it, even mix race people seem more black to me :dontknow:
It's not just me, other black people agree, i'm sure there's some that might disagree too.

:eek: i'm not really offended... it's just weird:s-smilie: there's about 16 million of us, it'd be ridiculous for us to be a separate race.
yeah and pakistani people :s-smilie: i find it confusing but have always classed myself as black

black???

he's from a poor background. whereas i am fortunate to be extremely well off. it never bothered me...because he always worked hard for his money and always took me out to nice places...i know he generally wants to make a lot of money. and im really glad, cos i dont want to sound spoilt, but i do want to be rich. but not rich cos i want the best designer clothes and what not..but just that i know i have the choice to. and thats what my parents want from my future man. someone rich.

Be honest with your parents if this is the guy you want to be with. But I have a feeling your parents would reject him for being poor rather than him being a non-muslim :rolleyes:

I have a feeling they wouldnt care much if he was rich non-muslim.
Reply 79
Original post by Yawn11

Yeah, except Somalia isn't in Arabia, and nationality =/ race.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Somali's are black, get over it.
When filling out a form, governmental or otherwise, when it comes to ethnicity we tick the Black African box, because that's what we are.
What is your reasoning, out with it, because you haven't produce a legit argument thus far.

Latest

Trending

Trending