The Student Room Group

Looking for a Masters program in Marketing - not too hard to get in

I am an Austrian student with a bachelor degree in business administration and no work experience except a few internships. Nonetheless, I would like to apply for a Masters program in Marketing at a university in the UK.

My grades are not the best, so I am not looking for the top universities where it is probably impossible for me to get in. Rather than that, I am looking for a university in a active, interesting and big city where it is easier to get in. I am thinking of cities like Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow...

I would be more than happy if anyone can help me!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did you get on your degree a mark of more than 60 per cent?
Reply 2
That's kind of hard to say,

In Austria we have grades from 1 to 5.
1 is the best and 5 is fail.

I just have an average grade. I think it is around 2.8 or something.
Reply 3
So, this is around 56% which is equivalent to a 2:2 degree. From what I've seen only the ex polytechnics accept 2:2 degrees for Masters in Marketing. Heriot Watt university in Edinburgh(great city) has a good Business school but the problem is that the campus is a few miles outside Edinburgh. The good thing is that you have gained experience from internships, so this might make it up for you average grade. You can apply in "better" universities as well, you have nothing to lose.
Reply 4
Original post by UKmasterUK
That's kind of hard to say,

In Austria we have grades from 1 to 5.
1 is the best and 5 is fail.

I just have an average grade. I think it is around 2.8 or something.

Your best bet would be to contact the programme leader at the university as converting grades is not as easy as cybergrad makes out (a lot of good universities will accept students with a 2.2 not just former polytechnics); for example, at the University of Leeds this would be Susan Waterson for their MA in Advertising and Marketing.

I think your approach is good, and I suggest that you might want to consider other cities like Liverpool, Newcastle and Sheffield too.
Reply 5
Thanks for your responses!

So you think it is best to just contact the program leaders, attach the transcript of records and ask if it is sufficient to apply?!

cheers
//
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks a lot man! I will apply there as well then!

I am more then happy with such concrete suggestions. If you just google "*a city name* universites" it is quite hard at first to figure out where it is reasonable for me to apply.
I am doing it anyway but your posts help me out a lot.
Reply 8
By the way, do you consider Westminster as the university easiest to get in in London?
//
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Thanks for your detailed answer! "easy to get in", I was talking about: easy to get a place in the programs, especially on the marketing masters. But still thanks for the info about transportation and stuff..

cheers
Reply 11
by the way, what does clearing mean? something like, there are still some free places after the application deadline or sth like that?
Original post by UKmasterUK
Thanks for your detailed answer! "easy to get in", I was talking about: easy to get a place in the programs, especially on the marketing masters. But still thanks for the info about transportation and stuff..

cheers

I'm not sure, most likely a 2:1 but possibly lowest they would take is 2:2. It may depend on the course and campus too.

If I look at these, it says:
http://courses.westminster.ac.uk/CourseInfo.aspx?coursecode=D09FPMKM&BackToSearchPage=yes&SearchType=ADVANCED&StartDate=&AttendanceMode=&CourseLevel=PG&SubjectArea=&Location=&Keyword=marketing
Entry requirementsYou should normally hold a first degree from a recognised institution (minimum Lower Second Class Honours), or international equivalent. Exceptionally, non-graduates with significant practitioner experience of marketing and/or marketing communications can also be considered. If English is not your first language, you will need an IELTS score of 6.5, with a minimum score of 6 in each element.

http://courses.westminster.ac.uk/CourseInfo.aspx?coursecode=D09MPMBW&BackToSearchPage=yes&SearchType=ADVANCED&StartDate=&AttendanceMode=&CourseLevel=PG&SubjectArea=&Location=CLON&Keyword=management
Entry requirementsYou should normally have a good undergraduate degree awarded by a UK university (or an overseas equivalent), or professional qualification, and at least three years’ supervisory or managerial work experience. If English is not your first language you will need an IELTS score of 6.5 (with a minimum of 6.0 in each element) or a recognised equivalent.

You will normally be interviewed and, depending on circumstances, you may be asked to take the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) and achieve a score of 550.

http://courses.westminster.ac.uk/CourseInfo.aspx?coursecode=D09PPCFM&BackToSearchPage=yes&SearchType=ADVANCED&StartDate=&AttendanceMode=&CourseLevel=PG&SubjectArea=&Location=CLON&Keyword=management
Entry requirementsYou should have a good Honours degree or equivalent.
Those whose first language is not English will need an IELTS score of 6.5.
(edited 10 years ago)
Are you related to CD_Forever by any chance? :confused:
//
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Any other courses in London in marketing? My boyfriend is applying (I've appled elsewhere in london myself) - he has a good 2.1 from an Irish Uni in Business and Management.
Reply 17
by the way,

how to transfer grades? i mean from my grading system (Austria) to the one from UK...

I s there a website or sth?
Reply 18
what about the application deadlines for the master programs in the uk? i never find them on the websites...
Reply 19
Hi guys
I am an international non-business graduate and looking for a MSc Marketing programme at universities in Southern England. I've heard many good things about Scottish unis but I prefer studying and living near London. I've applied for some universities: Southampton, Oxford Brookes, Sussex, Bradford (it's so far from London but its school of management is highly reputed as far as I know). So do you guys have any suggestions about other unis which have good quality Marketing programme? Southern England or Midlands is both ok for me.
Look forward to your reply and thank you very much.

Quick Reply